SASS Wire Forum

218 degrees internal temperature…Yep, it’s definitely done.

Pat Riot

9947620A-F47F-4BE4-89DC-A52EABCBE863.thumb.jpeg.725332ba8057fc9854728ad275a89da8.jpeg

No, we weren’t going for turkey jerky. :lol:

My wife and I found out that the knob on the oven in our rental house is way too easy to turn with just the slightest brush against it.

Yesterday we were making a 14# turkey. The temp was set at 325 with a 3:15 cook time. At some point early in the game my wife realized she wanted to cover the bird with foil. As she was putting the foil on she may have brush the knob and inadvertently set it to 500 degrees. Or, the knob was bumped some other way. Regardless, at about the 2.5 hour mark my wife says “That turkey smells done” and she opened the oven and at the same time noticed the oven temp setting. Ugh!

The internal temp of the breast was 218 F.

Pretty much all the meat above the edges of the pan was WAY overdone. The thigh meat was juicy and tender though. :lol:

I think in the future blue masking tape will be part of our baking regime to make sure that knob doesn’t get moved while baking or roasting. ;)

Had a thermistor go bad inside the last oven. Wife baked a chicken at around 700ish as near as I could tell. The taters and carrots were Cajun blackened.  Had pizza that night

If the oven knob can be removed, cut a piece of leather or heavy felt and put it under the knob. Just make it thick enough to cause a little friction between the knob and the surface of the control panel.

I do it all the time on controls on amps and sound equipment.

Might prevent a much worse calamity!!

I really like these little probes for smoking and baking.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005254TAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One can easily set the desired internal temp and an alarm will sound as soon as it gets there. 

I prefer to bake my turkeys breast down and covered with the oven set to 225*.  My goal is an internal temp of about 168* with the probe placed in the thickest part of the breast.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

blue masking tape

Blue masking tape on the oven.

My oven has a drawer beneath it, and the drawer has a chrome-plated handle.

The house I used to live had a rodent problem. I kept it to a minimum, but I would occasionally catch something running across the floor out of the corner of my eye.

When I first moved here I thought the same problem existed. Is I would walk through the kitchen I would catch movement out of the corner of my eye. Low down to the floor.

Then I finally realized what it was. My moving foot would be reflected in that chrome handle as I walked past the oven.

Problem solved.

IMG_20221116_074017539.thumb.jpg.6568fdbaffdba2cf1a15e1228a0eb362.jpg

4 minutes ago, July Smith said:

I really like these little probes for smoking and baking.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005254TAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One can easily set the desired internal temp and an alarm will sound as soon as it gets there. 

I prefer to bake my turkeys breast down and covered with the oven set to 225*.  My goal is an internal temp of about 168* with the probe placed in the thickest part of the breast.

Does the door still seal well with the probe wire going between the gasket?

We were having a family get together at my son's apartment years ago.  Bought a PaPa Murphys super double crust everything pizza.   Later found out the oven knob had fallen off and you could put it on in more than one position!  Luckily the pizza was large enough.   Good laugh helped save the day    GW

I'm not sure which i worse: Over cooked or Undercooked.

Newly weds, we had my Mother and Dad and Sherron's Father, Step-Mother and Step-sister for our Canadian Thanksgiving, when our oven decided to stop working after about an hour.

Finished cooking at my next door neighbours/first cousin's place and dined a little late.

Horses Doovrays and booze was good though and we replaced the oven with a NG unit.

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If the oven knob can be removed, cut a piece of leather or heavy felt and put it under the knob. Just make it thick enough to cause a little friction between the knob and the surface of the control panel.

I do it all the time on controls on amps and sound equipment.

Might prevent a much worse calamity!!

I like this idea. Thank you. 

Like I said, this is a rental so I am not putting myself out a bunch of money on this problem. We intend to buy a home and be out of here by next July. 

One Thanksgiving we had brined our turkey, put it in a 225F oven and went to see a movie, and had plans to briefly visit my wife's son after the movie.   Well, HIS wife, at the last minute, decided she wanted to go visit some friends. So we waited for them to get home "in just a few minutes." What we had expected to be about a 3 1/2 hour outing turned into a 6 or 7 hour outing.  Got home, pulled the bird out of the oven and checked the internal temperature in the thickest part of the breast.  About 205F if I recall correctly.  BUT, the breast, while a little dry, still had some moisture to it.  And the thighs were perfect.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

One Thanksgiving we had brined our turkey, put it in a 225F oven and went to see a movie, and had plans to briefly visit my wife's son after the movie.   Well, HIS wife, at the last minute, decided she wanted to go visit some friends. So we waited for them to get home "in just a few minutes." What we had expected to be about a 3 1/2 hour outing turned into a 6 or 7 hour outing.  Got home, pulled the bird out of the oven and checked the internal temperature in the thickest part of the breast.  About 205F if I recall correctly.  BUT, the breast, while a little dry, still had some moisture to it.  And the thighs were perfect.

My wife used to slow roast our turkeys at 225. They came out so good. I do not recall how much time she roasted them but they were usually 21-25 pound birds. It was probably 6 hours or so. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My wife used to slow roast our turkeys at 225. They came out so good. I do not recall how much time she roasted them but they were usually 21-25 pound birds. It was probably 6 hours or so. 

I think that one was in the range of 10 pounds.  Maybe 12 pounds.  

46 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I think that one was in the range of 10 pounds.  Maybe 12 pounds.  

Maybe she did ours more like 8 or 9. She’s not here or I would ask her. 

I am planning to smoke a turkey soon…on my smoker, not with a shotgun. :lol:

Archived