SASS Wire Forum

The New Guy . . . picking a category and the right stuff.

CavalierX

Hello, 

I am the new guy to SASS - just getting into the CAS thing... I have years of hunting, shooting and training experience, but have never "officially" competed.  I am trying to wrap my head around the "Classes/Categories"  is there a Flow Chart, Spreadsheet, maybe a Diagram that for this that make it a little simpler?  Something with Bullet Points rather than a narrative.  Seems like categories are age based, costume based, shooting style based, and propellent based?  BUT I see that say Cowboy/Cowgirls, B-Western, Frontiersmen for "dress categories" are accompanied by a set/limitation of the firearms and Leather that you are allowed to use in competition; like "Cowboys" cant shoot 1892s or Hammerless Break Actions, Lever Actions or Pump Shotguns; or wear anything not actually wore in 1880s- is that right?  And Open Age Class has to be "Cowboy/Cowgirl", but Age Limited Categories can be Cowboy, B-Western, or Frontiersman?     So, lets say I am new, over 49, and want to use a set of Old Vaqueros .45s, an 1892 Lever Rifle, and a 1997 Winchester Shotgun (or hammerless sxs), factory cowboy ammo (not ready for  black powder just yet), and wear a more traditional cowboy look and leather (not really into the the glitz of the Roy and Dale look) what are my options? From what I read in the 5+ pages of the Rule Book this doesn't qualify  for any specific category?     Am I getting this right?  The open category might work if I was doing Cowboy and got a new/different rifle '73 or before - I am just trying to wrap my head around it all.   Basically- I have most of the kit, the .45 Colts, some leather and want to have fun with little to no expectation of being truly competitive, but just trying to tie it all together without looking like a dude. . .  lol    I appreciate your feedback. 

You can shoot age based categories 

49er

Wrangler

cowboy. 

Start off shooting 49er for a couple of matches, see what others are doing, talk to others about their gear, find out what you want to do and change categories (and gear) if you want to.

Hi CavalierX,

You're off to a good start by reading the SASS Shooter's Handbook first. Salute!

Be a Cowboy or 49er,  go to a "local" CAS match, bring your guns,  shoot the match, and have fun.  :lol:

Worry about the dress code later.

I think it would be more important to consider your ammo production, supplies, and reloading equipment. 

Where are you located?  Someone might invite you to a match if they know your location.

Welcome to CAS!

All the best, 

Mo

28 minutes ago, CavalierX said:

Hello, 

I am the new guy to SASS - just getting into the CAS thing... I have years of hunting, shooting and training experience, but have never "officially" competed.  I am trying to wrap my head around the "Classes/Categories"  is there a Flow Chart, Spreadsheet, maybe a Diagram that for this that make it a little simpler?  Something with Bullet Points rather than a narrative.  Seems like categories are age based, costume based, shooting style based, and propellent based?  BUT I see that say Cowboy/Cowgirls, B-Western, Frontiersmen for "dress categories" are accompanied by a set/limitation of the firearms and Leather that you are allowed to use in competition; like "Cowboys" cant shoot 1892s or Hammerless Break Actions, Lever Actions or Pump Shotguns; or wear anything not actually wore in 1880s- is that right?  And Open Age Class has to be "Cowboy/Cowgirl", but Age Limited Categories can be Cowboy, B-Western, or Frontiersman?     So, lets say I am new, over 49, and want to use a set of Old Vaqueros .45s, an 1892 Lever Rifle, and a 1997 Winchester Shotgun (or hammerless sxs), factory cowboy ammo (not ready for  black powder just yet), and wear a more traditional cowboy look and leather (not really into the the glitz of the Roy and Dale look) what are my options? From what I read in the 5+ pages of the Rule Book this doesn't qualify  for any specific category?     Am I getting this right?  The open category might work if I was doing Cowboy and got a new/different rifle '73 or before - I am just trying to wrap my head around it all.   Basically- I have most of the kit, the .45 Colts, some leather and want to have fun with little to no expectation of being truly competitive, but just trying to tie it all together without looking like a dude. . .  lol    I appreciate your feedback. 

You have mixed some of the categories up.  Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl and B-Western are costume categories.  Both have certain limitations on firearms and both have some costume requirements.  Classics must shoot hammered doubles or 1887 lever action shotguns and rifles must be 1873 or older.  B-Western rifles must be 1892 or newer and can shoot hammerless doubles and 1897 pump shotguns.  Classic must shoot duelist and B-Western can shoot any style including gunfighter.  Frontiersman must shoot duelist style and use cap and ball revolvers and use black powder or BP substitutes.

Others have already given you the categories you can shoot in with the firearms you have listed.

37 minutes ago, CavalierX said:

is there a Flow Chart, Spreadsheet, maybe a Diagram that for this that make it a little simpler?  

Here's the SASS Category Matrix that Ripsaw put together

SASS Category Matrix v2.5.pdf

Cowboy category can shoot any Sass legal rifle, shotgun, and pistol. You can shoot an 1892 in it or any other age based category. Only the B Western has to use a 1892 or pump rifle. Classic Cowboy shoots 1873 or earlier model rifle. That’s my understanding. Somebody correct me if I missed categories.

Cowtown Scout beat me to it and explained it better!

The way category requirements are described in the Handbook tends to confuse readers.  You are by no means the first to struggle with it.  Kudos for making the effort to locate and read the materials, though.

Skip black powder to start with.  You probably could not buy any factory bp ammo anyway.  Unless you are wealthy plan on reloading your cowboy ammo - except shotgun shells where the cost savings of reloading is not great.  You seem to be leaning towards the Classic Cowboy category.  I suggest you dress like one but shoot in an age-based category with the guns you own for now.  Visit matches and dress as western as you can.  Most clubs are shrinking and will work with new shooters to get them started.

Wow...  great feed back from everyone.  It is much appreciated- thanks.  I am in Eastern/Central Oregon and seem to have 2 local clubs; one at COSSA Range and the other at the Redmond Rod and Gun club.  I have been looking at both their schedules and trying to get info from their Club pages, but it seems like The Crud-19 was tough on them and they don't seem to be current with scheduling and info/posts.   

I am pretty good at finding cheap ammo - and seeing Cowboy Lead for about 68¢.  It is "off brand" but that seems do able.  I am guessing that you dont burn though much more than a 100  rounds of pistol/rifle and 20  shotgun rounds in a  match right?   I would also guess that some people burn through 3-5 times what is used in matches for practice in a year, depending. 

As a side note "Wild Bunch" seems like a hoot too since I do enjoy my 1911s. . .   what a money pit this delightful little pursuit looks to be - HAHA.  Well like they say, you can't take it with you and in the end its the experiences that matter not the cash or piles of stuff.  

Welcome Cavalier X to the best game and folks goin'. Hang on for the addiction! 

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

I’d reconsider reloading if I were you. You said you could find cheap ammo for 68 cents a round. I can reload 45s for 14 cents/round even at today’s highway robbery prices. That’s saving $54.00 per match! Unless you’re a billionaire that’s a lot of money saved. Reloading equipment cost hundreds but you can pay for it in a few months with that kind of savings and custom tailor your loads to boot.

Twenty rounds of shotgun shells are not enough for a one-day, six-stage match.  Figure four rounds per stage for 24 rounds if you don't miss and have to make up shots.  I won't attend a one-day match with less than a box and a half of shotgun shells in my cart.  Figure on bringing at least 120 rounds of rifle/pistol ammo.  I usually bring 150 rounds in case I need to make up a stage.  (We do have reshoots for prop failures.)

The Redmond Club will host the Oregon State match in June so you can expect it will hold regular matches.  I've shot at the cowboy range east of Bend.  I liked the stages and would like to shoot there again.

1 hour ago, CavalierX said:

what a money pit this delightful little pursuit looks to be

When I started this game, I had 2 "main match" type rifles, 1 pistol and 2 shotguns.

I quickly got the second pistol.

Now, I could easily outfit at least a dozen shooters with guns if I wanted too.  :)

7 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

When I started this game, I had 2 "main match" type rifles, 1 pistol and 2 shotguns.

I quickly got the second pistol.

Now, I could easily outfit at least a dozen shooters with guns if I wanted too.  :)

It's definitely addictive.  I started with 1 main match, two pistols and 1 shotgun.  Now there are three of us on the range every Saturday and if I could talk my younger two into joining us I could equip everyone and only be short one SKB.

Welcome.  To start, keep it simple.  For your first couple of matches, it's OK to be a "Dude."  Show up with what you have.  49er will probably be easiest for the first couple of times.  Try different stuff.  If people don't offer, ask if you can try different guns/ styles.  Be safe.  Have fun.

5 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I believe the 87 sg is legal in every category.

kR

As is a C&B revolver.

Where are you located?  May be someone on here who is close to you than can help you out.

Howdy Cavalier X and welcome. Just start out shooting 49er with an 1897 pump, that way you can use it in Wild Bunch too. But first, before you spend one dime on guns or leather go to several local matches. Bring what you have, most likely some folks will loan you what eles you need. Call the Match Directors to let them know yer coming, they can often have some different stuff for you to try. Local clubs are usually a good place to find some deals. Good Luck:)

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

On 11/17/2022 at 11:40 AM, Jack Spade said:

Where are you located?  May be someone on here who is close to you than can help you out.

"I am in Eastern/Central Oregon and seem to have 2 local clubs; one at COSSA Range and the other at the Redmond Rod and Gun club.  I have been looking at both their schedules and trying to get info from their Club pages, but it seems like The Crud-19 was tough on them and they don't seem to be current with scheduling and info/posts."

No idea about the Pine Mountain Posse as there is ZERO contact information on their website or their FB page.

I did look them up on the SASS Club home page Here is a link to the  contact info they provided there.

https://www.sassnet.com/liseclubs/Pine-Mountain-Posse

I did at least find contact info for the Old 97 Railroad Rangers. on FB and their webpage. However I would try the contact info they provided SASS. https://www.sassnet.com/liseclubs/Old-97-Railroad-Rangers

When you get a hold of someone politely point out how hard is was for you to contact them.

Archived