SASS Wire Forum

ROSSI 92 What is this spring?!?!

DoctorWho

Had done the Steve’s Gunz action job on my 92 which is working brilliantly buuuuuuut, I just found a tiny spring on my workbench which could only have come from the Rossi. 

it’s the same as this little guy in the palo verde kit. Where the heck did this little guy fall out?

i don’t want to shoot it again until I know where it’s from and get it back in its place. 

any help appreciated. 

7016021B-FB0D-4256-9E1E-9004201E21DB.jpeg

Ok so it’s 58F, the friction stud spring. My stud still has its spring. Was this a spare in the kit my eyes missed, will it forever be a mystery?

My only other deduction was it was part of the original safety that I deleted and plugged. Memory is the first thing to go!

Is the friction stud present in your lever? If so, can you depress it and feel spring pressure behind it? If you can, then that ain't it, cuz it's there. Next, there is a carrier stop detent pinned into the left side of the lifter with a spring behind it that indexes in two detents in the frame, up and down. Is the retaining pin there, visible in the top of the carrier? Looking into the top of the action, is the carrier stop there (red arrow)? Does the carrier stop have spring pressure behind it so it positively indexes in the detents in the up and down positions as you work the lever? If both of these springs are there, then it didn't come out of your rifle. 

FrictionStud.jpg

CarrierStop.jpg

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Is the friction stud present in your lever? If so, can you depress it and feel spring pressure behind it? If you can, then that ain't it, cuz it's there. Next, there is a carrier stop detent pinned into the left side of the lifter with a spring behind it that indexes in two detents in the frame, up and down. Is the retaining pin there, visible in the top of the carrier? Looking into the top of the action, is the carrier stop there (red arrow)? Does the carrier stop have spring pressure behind it so it positively indexes in the detents in the up and down positions as you work the lever? If both of these springs are there, then it didn't come out of your rifle. 

FrictionStud.jpg

CarrierStop.jpg

^^^^ THIS^^^^

14 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

WELL???

The answer is a little less exciting. The friction stud spring was present, as I knew I didn't take it even apart. Took the carrier apart and the carrier spring is also present.

Finally found that the safety did not have any spring involved so my memory wasn't faulty.

So lo and behold the answer...

The spring kit I ordered apparently came with that little spring and it fell out when I was working on the internals. I never remembered seeing it in the sealed bag and it tumbled out at some point to viciously mock my sanity.

Rifle is safe and whole. A whole lot of thanks for helping me sleuth this out. i would rather take everything apart than to second guess safety.

Archived