SASS Wire Forum

Lever action shot guns

Jedediah Westwood

H.K., some of the clubs in Texas allow stoking shotguns on every stage, every month.  Maybe you should talk to the MD's where you shoot and suggest it.  No advantage, just fun!  Just have to be careful if you stoke and there are more than one position for shotgun.  If the stage writer's were afraid of safety issues on multiple shotgun positions, they could always disallow stoking on those stages only.  WB shooters are used to it.

Our 87 has the Lassiter mod and the magazine can still be loaded. It has to be "just right" but it can be loaded. We've done it but you're not going to do it fast. 

15 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Our 87 has the Lassiter mod and the magazine can still be loaded. It has to be "just right" but it can be loaded. We've done it but you're not going to do it fast. 

I have two with Lassiters mod. One you can load the magazine if you hold your mouth just right. The other you can't

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wrong!

My Cap 87 has drop 2 and I can still load the mag with 5 shells.

Exactly the same here.

And it's a durn good gun.

:D

On 11/18/2022 at 6:26 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

Coyote Cap's drop two "Top Gun" mod didn't affect using the mag tube, but it requires a little finesse to not push the rounds down past the stop when the pressure's on. On Lassiter's conversion, there is a positive stop so you can't push the shells down past that, but you lose the use of the magazine.

You can jam two empty hulls together (with the brass at each end), which makes a dandy spacer in the magazine. Putting that into the magazine behind the follower compresses the spring, which puts more pressure on the follower. The additional pressure makes it harder to push the nose of the lifter past the hole (that Cap drilled) in the mag follower. If you’re ham-fisted, you can still push the lifter too deep, but it requires a lot less finesse than without the spacer. 

Once I did that, my Cap full race gun runs as well a Lassiter gun. You can still stoke the mag with a round or two or, remove the spacer to stoke it normally. 

What Abilene Slim states works nicely.

;)

Archived