SASS Wire Forum

Lever action shot guns

Jedediah Westwood

Are lever action shot guns aloud in CAS competitions. I cant find anywhere in the rule book if they are aloud or not. I am assuming not because I've never seen one in the few competitions I've been in but I thought I would get clarification here.

"Lever action, tubular feed, exposed hammer shotguns of the period are allowed, whether original or replicas." SHB P.38

JW,

If you get a chance to shoot at Cowtown, Zona, Barbwire, and Two Dot use an '87 shotgun quite a bit.

Vic

I had one, tricked out by Coyote Cap and Lassiter both, for several years, but seldom shot it. I felt obligated to take it out a couple times a year just because it was there. I solved that problem earlier this year by selling it to a dedicated '87 shooter who wanted a backup. B)

2 hours ago, July Smith said:

Winchester 1887s along with the clones are legal in SASS.  I see them every once in a while, very cool guns but they take a fair amount of gunsmithing and practice to run well.  

Not necessarily. Been running an original 1887 for 22 years! The only work done on it was to lengthen the chamber.

4 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Not necessarily. Been running an original 1887 for 22 years! The only work done on it was to lengthen the chamber.

I amend my earlier comment to say, in my experience for me to even come close to my times with a SxS they require extensive gunsmithing and practice.  YMMV

Awww heck, used my original 87 at Rio and CowTown plenty of times, far too numerous to count.

Tons of smokey fun.

Just need match directors to write more stages where they allow you to stoke up the shotgun with 6 rounds and wail away at the targets with it.

Nothing but a cloud of heavenly acrid smoke.

I've got a Coyote Cap '87 lever gun that is my primary main match shotgun. I love shooting it! My back up is my TTN side by side.

'87s have a learning curve but well worth mastering it.

21 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I've got a Coyote Cap '87 lever gun that is my primary main match shotgun. I love shooting it! My back up is my TTN side by side.

'87s have a learning curve but well worth mastering it.

I want one just for the cool factor.  Those Chiappas don't come cheap though.

21 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I want one just for the cool factor.  Those Chiappas don't come cheap though.

And that's why I'm asking,  begging, imploring Santa to bring me one. :D

4 minutes ago, Will Kane said:

Yes, sir.

Fireball, Lassiter, and Stone Creek Drifter can whoop up on ya with those 87s

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

IACs don't either and the PW87s are junk.

Not too long ago, I checked out a PW87 and couldn't find anything wrong with it so I bought it.  It loads and cycles without any problems.  I know they get a bad rap but mine seems fine.

3 hours ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

Not too long ago, I checked out a PW87 and couldn't find anything wrong with it so I bought it.  It loads and cycles without any problems.  I know they get a bad rap but mine seems fine.

Some are good and some are junk. Buying one without trying dummy rounds in it is not a good idea unless a a knowledgable smith has worked it over.

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Some are good and some are junk. Buying one without trying dummy rounds in it is not a good idea unless a a knowledgable smith has worked it over.

I found it at a pawn shop. I took some dummy rounds and had the guy cycle them through the gun.

Horace

I’ve had the distinct pleasure of shooting with @Preacherman, @Fireball #7709 Life, and @Slater's In House Guns   I also use an IAC ‘87 as my main match SG and on occasion I’ll pull out an original 1901 Winchester (made in 1906) and have some 10ga fun.  Both of them were modified by @Lassiter, SASS #22846 and run far better than me. 

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Been shooting a lassiter tuned 87 as my main match shotgun for a while now.

Here I am smoking up Stage one with my home club the TX Troublemakers...

You need more shotgun loops. :)

On 11/15/2022 at 3:26 PM, Gunner, SASS #1940 said:

Just need match directors to write more stages where they allow you to stoke up the shotgun with 6 rounds and wail away at the targets with it.

This is an idea that is long overdue.   In all the years I've been doing this, I have been to 1 shoot where on 1 stage you were allowed to load up the magazines on repeating shotguns on the clock.  I have also been to one shoot, somewhere in Pennsylvania, where it was stated that it could be done on every stage.

Those are the only 2 times I've ever seen stages so written to allow for stoking on the clock.   I think it's time to just allow for it all the time and be done with it.

On 11/15/2022 at 3:26 PM, Gunner, SASS #1940 said:

Awww heck, used my original 87 at Rio and CowTown plenty of times, far too numerous to count.

Tons of smokey fun.

Nothing but a cloud of heavenly acrid smoke.

1887’s with the “drop two” modification (which is the vast majority of them if used in competition) can no longer use the magazine tube.  

8 minutes ago, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

1887’s with the “drop two” modification (which is the vast majority of them if used in competition) can no longer use the magazine tube.  

Wrong!

My Cap 87 has drop 2 and I can still load the mag with 5 shells.

I have heard some drop 2's disable the magazine, and others do not.   I did not modify either of my 87's as I want to be able to use the magazine.  In fact, when I got my original Winchester, there was something wrong with it where it would not feed from the mag.  I sent it to Coyote Cap who fixed it so it would work properly.    I specifically told him that's what I wanted and I did not want a drop 2 mod.

Interestingly enough, while it may not be modified for it, I have figured out you can essentially drop 2 if you are methodical about it.   Same with my Chiappa reproduction.

Coyote Cap's drop two "Top Gun" mod didn't affect using the mag tube, but it requires a little finesse to not push the rounds down past the stop when the pressure's on. On Lassiter's conversion, there is a positive stop so you can't push the shells down past that, but you lose the use of the magazine.

Archived