SASS Wire Forum

Speedy single-barrel scattergun?

Tom Bullweed

I finally can run my 97s fast enough to feel fast (not really that fast).  I use them in smokeless categories.

The simplicity of the single barrel scattergun (and the auto ejector) make me think that the SbS might be as fast as the SxS in smokey categories.

Any cowboys pushing the SbS to the max?

Any thoughts on the H&R/New England style barrel release versus the rotating tab?

I shoot SxS shotguns in smokey categories and have an H&R single shot shotgun I use to practice for Plainsman matches where I shoot a Handi-Rifle.  The H&R shotgun is slower than my SxS shotguns.  However, it will eject steel based, ribbed shotgun shells that might hang up in my SxS shotguns.  I burned up some Herters shells I got as door prizes that way.  My H&R shotgun is good for pest control and not competition.  They are very light and might be useful for children who lack the strength to hold up heavier shotguns.

I'm not a good answer as I don't have personal results.  However, I have shoot with a couple of guys that shoot H&R Handi shotguns with ejectors who shoot as fast as most who shoot doubles.  Lots and lots of practice and grabbing two or more.

1 hour ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I finally can run my 97s fast enough to feel fast (not really that fast).  I use them in smokeless categories.

The simplicity of the single barrel scattergun (and the auto ejector) make me think that the SbS might be as fast as the SxS in smokey categories.

Any cowboys pushing the SbS to the max?

Any thoughts on the H&R/New England style barrel release versus the rotating tab?

This was 6 years ago, the h&r are fun

I cut it down and turned it, the shells just come out a bit, but the sxs is way faster

Have they changed the rules to allow ejectors on the break barrel shotguns.  Back when I was an active shooter, they were illegal and I had to disable it on my nieces single shot break barrel.  To attempt to answer the original question, there is simply no way a single shot gun can keep up with a SXS after a little practice.  Some of the fastest I've seen used SXS shotguns!

6 minutes ago, Bison Bud said:

Have they changed the rules to allow ejectors on the break barrel shotguns.  Back when I was an active shooter, they were illegal and I had to disable it on my nieces single shot break barrel. 

I don't know the history, but from the current SHB, p38

"Automatic ejectors are allowed on single shot break action, lever, and pump action shotguns ONLY.  Side-by-side shotguns may not use automatic ejectors"

13 hours ago, Billy the Avenger said:

I cut it down and turned it, the shells just come out a bit, but the sxs is way faster

I shoot Outlaw and have been on the lookout for a single shot to play with for style points. :D

13 hours ago, Billy the Avenger said:

How are you cocking the hammer? Too fast to see. :D

3 hours ago, Bison Bud said:

Have they changed the rules to allow ejectors on the break barrel shotguns.  Back when I was an active shooter, they were illegal and I had to disable it on my nieces single shot break barrel.  

This was added as a rule change to the SHB in 2009:

Automatic ejectors are allowed on single shot break action, lever and pump action shotguns ONLY.

SHB Fifteenth Edition January 2009 p.14

11 minutes ago, Billy the Avenger said:

Your thumb opens, index cocks hammer, and your middle finger pulls the trigger, and repeat

You've certainly mastered it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just my opinion.  For most shooters there's not much difference between a 97 and a SxS.  With practice you can do pretty much equally well with either.  For the top shooters who are on the bleeding edge of what's possible I think the SxS us just a bit faster.  The single barrel is the slowest option available for CAS, IMHO.

P-p-p-practice? I invested a good 20 minutes on that single shot! You sir, will be asked to stand on my right if you TO for me. :P Shooting from the hip is a bit of a different animal when it comes to loading and not aiming.;)

11 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Just my opinion.  For most shooters there's not much difference between a 97 and a SxS.  With practice you can do pretty much equally well with either.  For the top shooters who are on the bleeding edge of what's possible I think the SxS us just a bit faster.  The single barrel is the slowest option available for CAS, IMHO.

You have not seen slow until you see me with my original, unmodified 1887.  A muzzleloader might be faster.

16 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

You have not seen slow until you see me with my original, unmodified 1887.  A muzzleloader might be faster.

That's pretty funny, but I have to concur, when I could have just agreed!:lol:

11 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

P-p-p-practice? I invested a good 20 minutes on that single shot! You sir, will be asked to stand on my right if you TO for me. :PShooting from the hip is a bit of a different animal when it comes to loading and not aiming.;)

Still FUN, though! (note that the videographer moved after the first shot) ;)

4 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Update! Tried some 1145 fps shells after set up today. My trigger finger took a beating shooting from the hip. I need to try some lnlr Winchester AA and some of my bp loads and a firmer grip. :huh:

Modify the stock so that it is more like an straight English grip than the current pistol grip. The pistol grip tends to force your hand to be closer to the trigger guard.

Archived