SASS Wire Forum

How To Start A Thanksgiving Day Argument

Subdeacon Joe

All the Italians I knew in NJ, which was a considerable number, including family members, call it sauce too!!

Gravy is made from drippings from the broiler/roaster or the liquid from the frying pan.  You can roast the veggies and purée them or add flour or bread crumbs to thicken it or whatever!

When you poke it in yer face, IT BECOMES STUFFING TOO!!

There’s a breakfast joint here in town that makes a tomato gravy that’s pretty popular with Schoolmarm. They use puréed tomatoes with the sausage and bacon drippings and spice it up a little.  Ain’t my taste, but it seems to make some folks happy. 

In the South, gravy is gravy as described above.  Sauce is a whole ‘nother thang!

If you’re a southerner, ya’ know the difference to begin with!!

39 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Along with tomato pies.

Daddy told me that when he was a kid in Georgia they had something called Italian tomato pie.

It was pizza.

28 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Daddy told me that when he was a kid in Georgia they had something called Italian tomato pie.

It was pizza.

My grandma who was born in Italy called it pizza pie. She made the best pizza ever! My mom copied her recipe !

23 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Along with the sublime summertime treat of Mater Sandwiches.  White Bread, mayo, sliced tomato, salt, and sometimes pepper.  

Once I add the Bacon and lettuce, good to go!  Though we grow some really tasty heirloom tomatoes! 

11 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Once I add the Bacon and lettuce, good to go!  Though we grow some really tasty heirloom tomatoes! 

That, too.  But that is a ubiquitous North American staple, not a (fairly) regional thing like the Mater Sandwich.

Archived