SASS Wire Forum

How To Start A Thanksgiving Day Argument

Subdeacon Joe

Yup, it's like the difference between telling someone to get stuffed and get dressed. Or something like that. Mind you, my kin are all from border states so ymmv.

Lisa Lovell

(Showing spousal support while stirring the pot)

15 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:
If it's stuffed into the cavity and cooked in the bird, it's stuffing.
If it's cooked outside the bird as a side dressing, then it's dressing.
Quod scripsi, scripsi .

How can you have an argument if there is no more to be said???

53 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

How can you have an argument if there is no more to be said???

You ain't never meet my family lol

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Next up:

Is it Sauce or Gravy that you put on pasta?

19 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

If you’re Italian and there’s a nonna present, it’s gravy or you don’t eat.

What is interesting about this is that the Sunday pasta topping would be ragu (if with meat) or sugo (if without meat).  Using "gravy" for either one is Italian-American, not Italian.  

Historically, in English anyway, "gravy" was the pan juices, reduced or not, from roasting or frying meat.  I recall several old receipts that call for slicing the meat and then "sauce with the gravy and mess it forth."  My lady wife found something that said "all gravies are sauces but not all sauces are gravies."

So it would seem that properly the red stuff you put on pasta would be "sauce" and not gravy.

So there! :P

Personally I’ve never heard of tomato gravy, or chicken sauce.  So my brain always says tomato sauce and chicken, turkey or beef gravy.  

34 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Personally I’ve never heard of tomato gravy, or chicken sauce.  So my brain always says tomato sauce and chicken, turkey or beef gravy.  

I agree.

Tomatoes = Sauce

Meat, grease, flour salt, pepper = Gravy

Now I am hungry. Gotta go…

37 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay, here’s one for ya…Mango gravy. 

https://www.unileverfoodsolutions.com.au/recipe/roast-chicken-with-sweet-mango-gravy-R0058090.html

Roast Chicken w/ Sweet Mango Gravy
Chicken, breasts, skin on    1 kg
Gravy
Water    500 ml
KNORR Patak's Mango Chicken Sauce 2.2 L    600 ml
CONTINENTAL Rich Brown Gravy Gluten Free 1.8kg    50 g
Preparation
Roast Chicken
Roast the chicken at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes or until cooked and carve.
Gravy
Combine all the given ingredients together and bring to the boil while stirring.
To Serve
Serve
sauce with roast chicken and vegetables.
Tip
May serve with Roast Potato or Pumpkin or Silver Beet.

or

https://cookeatshare.com/recipes/ripe-mango-gravy-mampazha-pulissery-from-god-s-own-country-631182

RIpe Mango Gravy - mampazha pulissery 
Ingredients :
Ripe Mango - 3 Nos (flavourful & sweet mango variety of your region)
Sour thick buttermilk - 1 cup
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Red chillies - 4 nos
Peppercorns - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar - 3 tsp (or to taste)
Tempering :-
Coconut Oil - 1 & 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Directions
Slice the mangoes with skin. Remove skin from few pieces and keep it aside. this we are going to use at the finishing stage of the dish for garnishing.
Boil mango pieces with skin (this will emit complete flavour of mango) adding 2 and 1/2 tea cups of water, salt and turmeric powder. Once cooked, remove skin from the mango pieces and let it cool separately.
Dry roast Fenugreek (methi) seeds till they turn light brown in colour, powder it using mortar & pestle (or prepare and powder it in large quantity & store in an air tight container to use in khadis & other preparations)
In a small pan, heat 1/2 tsp coconut oil and roast the red chillies (this will give nice flavour to the dish)
Grind coconut, Cumin seeds, Red Chillies, Peppercorns together adding water to a smooth paste (you can use the water in which mango is boiled)
Mash the boiled mango pieces and add the ground masala paste to it, add sugar, roasted fenugreek seed powder and boil
Add the thick & sour buttermilk & cook on medium flame stirring continuosly for 4 min or till foam forms on top.
Remove from flame and temper with mustard seeds & curry leaves in coconut oil and add to the dish.
Now add the saved ripe mango pieces to garnish the dish.
Tounge tickling royal pulissery is ready to make you drool :p
Mezhukupirati / mezhukuvarati is the best side dish for this. Fried Kerala Urad Papad is added bonus!

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

There are some who say it stuffing, no matter what.  Others insist that it's dressing, no matter what.

So is "Stovetop Stuffing" Mix really stovetop dressing? 

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

So is "Stovetop Stuffing" Mix really stovetop dressing? 

A rather poor attempt at either one. By my way of thinking it's a dressing when made in a pot outside a bird.  

BUT it makes a good bread crumb for meatloaf.  

Put whatever you call it in your face and it becomes stuffing!!

NOW SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE OR YA’S MIGHT FIND YER PLATE BROKE!!

” If yer gonna’ argue, take it outside!!  The rest of us’ll eat your share with ours!!”  said my mom.

:o :ph34r: :rolleyes: :lol:

My grandmother, Nanny, said that “stuffing is in the bird to enhance the flavor. Dressing is stuffing outside the bird to dress the table” or something like that. I also recall her saying “the best dressing is the stuffing in the turkey.” She also called supper “dinner” on Sundays and holidays. ;)

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay, here’s one for ya…Mango gravy. 

Goes well over fish.  Don’t use it as jam on a peanut butter sandwich or the cook will scold you like a schoolboy.

11 hours ago, lalovell said:

Yup, it's like the difference between telling someone to get stuffed and get dressed. Or something like that. Mind you, my kin are all from border states so ymmv.

Lisa Lovell

(Showing spousal support while stirring the pot)

Welcome to the saloon, an excellent place for pot stirring.

4 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Goes well over fish.  Don’t use it as jam on a peanut butter sandwich or the cook will scold you like a schoolboy.

Welcome to the saloon, an excellent place for pot stirring.

Luckily I dislike mangos. No scolding coming my way on that particular fruit sauce. ;)

17 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

If you’re Italian and there’s a nonna present, it’s gravy or you don’t eat.

I'm 100% Italian and we never called it gravy! It's SAUCE!

18 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Next up:

Is it Sauce or Gravy that you put on pasta?

SAUCE!!! Unless you're from NY or NJ

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Let me speak GI German for a minute.

MOXNIX!

There, nuff said.

Okay so I had to look it up and it doesn’t matter in reality but it can lead to an argument among Italians! Remember we’re hotheads!:lol:

Not only is it sauce, but nearly every family has a slightly different flavor profile.  In byegone days, I had Italian relatives and neighbors and sampled a lot of great Italian food.  When the tomatoes come in I make and freeze considerable quantities.

Tomato Gravy https://www.thekitchn.com/tomato-gravy-recipe-23390914

INGREDIENTS

• 3 tablespoons 

unsalted butter

• 3 tablespoons 

all-purpose flour

• 1 (14.5-ounce) can 

diced or crushed tomatoes

• 1 cup 

low-sodium chicken broth

• 1/4 cup 

half-and-half or heavy cream

• 1 teaspoon 

kosher salt

• 1/2 teaspoon 

freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter in a medium cast iron skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and stir continuously until the roux is light brown or the color of peanut butter, about 1 minute.

2. Add 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced or crushed tomatoes, 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, and 1/4 cup half-and-half or heavy cream. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 8 to 12 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and stir to combine. Taste and season with more black pepper as needed. Serve over biscuits, eggs, meatloaf or any of your favorite Southern breakfast foods.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/old-fashioned-tomato-gravy/

Ingredients

1/2 pound bacon strips, diced 1 small onion, chopped

Buy Ingredients
      • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
      • 1/8 teaspoon salt
      • Pinch pepper
      • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
      • 3 cups tomato juice
      • 8 hot biscuits, split

Directions

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.

Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; cook and stir over low heat until mixture is golden brown (do not burn). Gradually whisk in tomato juice. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon. Serve over biscuits.

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Tomato Gravy https://www.thekitchn.com/tomato-gravy-recipe-23390914

INGREDIENTS

• 3 tablespoons 

unsalted butter

• 3 tablespoons 

all-purpose flour

• 1 (14.5-ounce) can 

diced or crushed tomatoes

• 1 cup 

low-sodium chicken broth

• 1/4 cup 

half-and-half or heavy cream

• 1 teaspoon 

kosher salt

• 1/2 teaspoon 

freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter in a medium cast iron skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and stir continuously until the roux is light brown or the color of peanut butter, about 1 minute.

2. Add 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced or crushed tomatoes, 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, and 1/4 cup half-and-half or heavy cream. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 8 to 12 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and stir to combine. Taste and season with more black pepper as needed. Serve over biscuits, eggs, meatloaf or any of your favorite Southern breakfast foods.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/old-fashioned-tomato-gravy/

Ingredients

1/2 pound bacon strips, diced 1 small onion, chopped

Buy Ingredients
      • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
      • 1/8 teaspoon salt
      • Pinch pepper
      • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
      • 3 cups tomato juice
      • 8 hot biscuits, split

Directions

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.

Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; cook and stir over low heat until mixture is golden brown (do not burn). Gradually whisk in tomato juice. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon. Serve over biscuits.

Not Italian! Not in this house!

Archived