SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter category question

Butch Cassidy

Howdy! 
I have a question for the group. I am currently shooting in the gunfighter category and I am more of a “ Spirit of the game “ type of a cowboy. Just for a change, I wanted to use my Taylor Frontier revolvers.

I understand that the rules state that adjustable sights aren’t allowed but what if I were to remove the rear sights? Since the targets are so close I rarely use the sights anyhow. Would they comply with the rules? 

I wish it were so. As I understand it we would need to convert our latches to “Russian latches” to be legal in Gunfighter or in my case Classic Cowboy. 

I have a pair of Taylor (Uberti) Frontiers and have been searching for these latches since I have purchased said revolvers with not a lot of luck.

not to hijack OP’s post if anyone has a pair of Russian latches they would part with I would be interested in hearing from you. 

The book may not explicitly say a revolver must have sights, but there is a strong implication.

A simple open notched rear sight cut into the frame, hammer, or latch mechanism is the only rear sight allowed.

Adjustable sight revolvers may have dovetailed or adjustable rear sights and/or dovetailed front sights.

Adjustable sight revolver REAR sights may be replaced with commonly available sights of the same size and type.

This seems to indicate you can't replace the rear sight with no sight.

Simply removing the rear sight of an adjustable-sight revolver does NOT "convert" it to a fixed sight revolver.

"The use of a non-SASS legal firearm results in a Stage Disqualification (SDQ) for each stage the illegal firearm is used."

SHB p.32

There are two methods listed to legally convert adjustable sights to fixed:

"The Beretta “Laramie” rear latch with the adjustable rear sight may be replaced with the rear latch (with fixed sight) from the “Russian” Model to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver."

SHB p.35

"Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Old Army adjustable sight frames may be modified by removing the rear sight assembly, welding up the sight cutout, re-contouring the frame top strap, and cutting a new sight notch to replicate Colt SAA or Vaquero frames. The ramp front sight must be replaced with a blade-type in order to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver."

SHB p.36

Archived