SASS Wire Forum

How many here are using their CAS match lever action rifle this year for deer hunt?

Sixgun Symphony #62632

Kaya uses her Marlin .44 quite a bit and I use a Winchester 94 in .44 that saw some years of shooting. A couple friends of mine use their 73's in .357 as well.

id use mine if i were to hunt deer , im more an upland game hunter - unless we need meat to survive , however ...........

the range i work at see a lot of hunter site in folks and there are a lot of levers show up every year but mostly 3030 

My little rabbit from 2017, it never took a step. Last time I hunted till last year. Let a small one go but this year it's meat on the table!!
Marlin 1894CB 44-40. Year, I installed a scope for hunting cause I am blind as a bat now...you know what I mean!

EmbeddedImage.jpg

In ages past, .44-40, 38-40 and even .32-20 have been used to take deer with good success.   Today, some would scoff at the .32, but it was done back in the day.   And depending on what article you read, it has been suggested that .44-40 has taken more deer than anything, even .30-30, or if .30-30 has taken the most, .44-40 is in 2nd place.   (Mostly, I assume, due to it's age.   It's had time to rack up impressive numbers.)

Back in the early 1900’s, say ‘20’s or ‘30’s, in Florida there was a tick epidemic that required all of the cattle to be rounded up and “dipped” by driving them through “dipping vats” filled with DDT (a poison that killed ticks).  Since wildlife couldn’t be rounded up and dipped, the State Ag Dept decided to eliminate the deer population by hiring professional hunters to shoot them.  They issued them 32-20 rifles or carbines for the task.  All the ones I saw were Winchester M-92’s, but there may have been others.

Note:  I think the DDT was more effective than the slaughter.

I've killed three or four deer with my 1873 Uberti Border Rifle, but all of them were mercy killings at the side of the road after car collisions.  I'd have no problem using mine for that, or my 1894 Marlins.

I found a box of Remington .38-40 175-grain JSP Hi-Speed, rated at 1650 fps, at a local hardware store.  The owner had that box and two boxes of Remington .32-20 standard loads left from a receipt of ammo in the early 1980s.

I paid the original tag prices ($22.50  and $27.50) about two years ago.

The .38-40 JSPs look like would get the job done.

If I ever get back into deer hunting I have several rifles that I can use for CAS and bringing home venison.

I'd have a hard time figgering out which to use. :blink:

7 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I found a box of Remington .38-40 175-grain JSP Hi-Speed, rated at 1650 fps, at a local hardware store.  The owner had that box and two boxes of Remington .32-20 standard loads left from a receipt of ammo in the early 1980s.

I paid the original tag prices ($22.50  and $27.50) about two years ago.

The .38-40 JSPs look like would get the job done.

Those were intended for use in the 1892 rifle only.  Not for a 1873 or a revolver.  

I sold an 1894 Marlin Cowboy in .357 to a friend who uses it all the time to hunt on his property.

I'm in a shotgun zone so we can't use a rifle.  I have taken one with my 87, as well as quite a few with my vaqueros.

When I first got into CAS, I had a Rossi .44 Mag the I took a couple of does with. Nice light little carbine when it was my turn to "Push the Bush."

Later, with a Uberti 1866 in .45 Colt I got lucky with a small buck from a blind.

On a side note, I've used my .45-70 Uberti Hiwall to take a nice buck and a doe with the Rolling Block.

I'd like to try the Sharps, but that thing is just too heavy to lug very far at my age and my current knee condition.

When I could walk better, before Arthur hit my knees, I enjoyed using my open hammer, open cylinder SxS for upland birds.

I've taken many deer with all kinds of odd old guns.  50-70 Trapdoor, 45-70 Trapdoor.   Original Winchester Highwall in 45-70. 30-06 Springfield.  35 Remington in Thompson Contender.  With out a doubt many with Marlin 1895 45-70. All these made good, one shot kills. (I hunt more in bow shot distance)

I have taken Mary's Marlin 1894 carbine in 44Magnum.  Ammo was store bought ammo,  Remington 240 grain jacketed soft point.   First deer I shot with it was about 30 yards away. Hit and ran off.  I followed up and it had went about 50 yards and jumped a fence. It was down but very much alive and trying to get up.  Took a couple of follow up shots the finalize the deal.  The next time I use it, I had gotten home from work and only had a few minutes to hunt.  I grabbed the 1894 44 mag and made a walk in the nearest woods.  Three forkhorn bucks stood up to look at me from across a revine about 75 yards.  I picked the easiest broadside shot.  They all took off but I felt confident in my shot. A couple of seconds and a Ker-BOOM!  They had ran under the tree stand son Chris was setting.   He shot one with 7mm Magnum and it was down.  He said one was limping and probably wasn't far.  We find dressed his deer and went after mine.  Another 50 yard and there was a bed with a big bloody spot but no deer. He's a great tracker and can see spots of blood on the leaves.   We tracked that thing for another hour up and down hills - probably a mile.  We found a chunk of leg bone about 3" long. Got way after dark and no deer.  I went back the next day and looked a long time and found nothing.  If I had to use the 44 Magnum again,  I'd use a heavy cast bullet of Keith design.

Archived