SASS Wire Forum

73 Carbine front sight question and problem

Marshal Dan Troop 70448

My nephew is is starting to get interested in CAS is slowly as funds are acquired, buying firearms. Has so far one pistol and purchased a Taylor 73 carbine. The problem is the front sight moved slightly after practice. We tightened the screws as much as possible as well as the forearm screw. Yet sight move slightly to right after shooting a string of 10 and has to be tapped back to center.

Any advise appreciated. Sight fits tightly over barrel and tube since I took it off myself to see if it was oversized and had to be tapped down into position. 

If I understand you, the barrel band, which includes the front sight, shifts when the rifle is fired.  That means that the magazine tube has shifted in the opposite direction i.e. to the left.  I would suggest that the barrel band is a little too large, enough so that the vibration of the barrel is causing it to move off center.  I would look at sending the carbine back to Taylor or, buy a new band from VTI Gunparts.  If mine, I would send it back to Taylors as buying a new band is no guarantee that it would fit any better than the original.

5 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

If I understand you, the barrel band, which includes the front sight, shifts when the rifle is fired.  That means that the magazine tube has shifted in the opposite direction i.e. to the left.  I would suggest that the barrel band is a little too large, enough so that the vibration of the barrel is causing it to move off center.  I would look at sending the carbine back to Taylor or, buy a new band from VTI Gunparts.  If mine, I would send it back to Taylors as buying a new band is no guarantee that it would fit any better than the original.

Makes sense. Never thought of that. Thanks. I won't see him till next Friday so I'll get over and check it out and it was a used one he picked up so not new.

2 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

The screws aren't loosening, so locktite won't work. They're as tight as can be.

1 hour ago, Jackson Rose, SASS #45478 said:

Clean barrel and band, apply loc tite under band and allow to cure.

Only apply the loctite to the part of the band that touches the barrel. This way when it has to be removed any force applied will be to the barrel and not the magazine tube. 

2 hours ago, Don Jorge said:

Have a gunsmith install a dovetail front sight.

This ↑↑↑

As you said the screw is tight, I would suggest running a thread die to increase the amount of threads. It's possible the screw is bottomed out not squeezing the band.  Could also replace the screw.  

As for those suggesting you somehow tighten the band, be aware that the more pressure you put on said band, (& therefore the barrel), the more you are likely to disrupt the harmonics of the barrel and how the "whip" of the barrel affects trajectory.  Might seem meaningless at CAS distances, but if you're and "edge of target" hitter now, you might become more of a "misser"... 

My wife's '73 Carbine has had this issue since purchased new.  It will twist enough to miss rifle targets at SASS recommended target distances.  The only thing we've found to do is to ensure the front sight is straight before a stage.

10 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

I'll pass the suggestions on and let him decide what to do. Myself, I would add a small/thin piece of brass between barrel and band sight and tighten. I suggested it to him already, but thought I would see what others might consider doing. 

Had to do that to my wife's rifle. I used a piece a soda can, was just the right thickness. 

Archived