SASS Wire Forum

Dallas Air Show.

Brazos John

My son just sent me a video of a B-17 and a P-38 P-63 crashing at the Dallas Air Show today.

I can't attach it, but it will be in the news.

I cried.

My t-shirt from a Wings Over Houston Air Show from years ago.

This was the B-17 that was crashed by the fighter. 

I used to hear it fly over my house, several miles south of Conroe, where it was hangered.

The sound of those 4 engines was unmistakable.

I'm just heartbroken...

image.jpeg.a31dcd551d6a43607f199da3cb9dceb8.jpeg

Just saw a video. Story I read said P-63 Kingcobra, which appears correct. Can’t imagine what the P-63 pilot was thinking/doing as he clipped the B-17 from above and behind on a high speed turn. Tragic. :(

Here’s a link. Scroll down to the video. Looks he sliced the entire fuselage off just behind the wings. 

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Federal-authorities-2-aircraft-collide-at-17579975.php

1 hour ago, Brazos John said:

My son just sent me a video of a B-17 and a P-38 crashing at the Dallas Air Show today.

I can't attach it, but it will be in the news.

I cried.

A P-63, not a P-38, but when I saw it, I sat in shock blinking back tears myself. 

In this photo provided by Nathaniel Ross Photography, a historic military plane crashes after colliding with another plane during an airshow at Dallas Executive Airport in Dallas on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022. (Nathaniel Ross Photography via AP)

Credit:  In this photo provided by Nathaniel Ross Photography, a historic military plane crashes after colliding with another plane during an airshow at Dallas Executive Airport in Dallas on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022. (Nathaniel Ross Photography via AP)

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Just saw a video. Story I read said P-63 Kingcobra, which appears correct. Can’t imagine what the P-63 pilot was thinking/doing as he clipped the B-17 from above and behind on a high speed turn. Tragic. :(

Here’s a link. Scroll down to the video. Looks he sliced the entire fuselage off just behind the wings. 

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Federal-authorities-2-aircraft-collide-at-17579975.php

You’re assuming it was pilot error.  That’s what NTSB investigations are for. Could have been several things. 

20 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You’re assuming it was pilot error.  That’s what NTSB investigations are for. Could have been several things. 

It’s a WAG. I’m looking at a high-speed high-g turn that’s killed many a pilot. There was one that looked just like this at Reno Air Races earlier this year. There have been others. Yes, the NTSB will ultimately determine the cause. 

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the fighter struck something, immediately headed downward, and hit the bomber.

If that was a drone, somebody is in a heap of trouble.

#drone - Twitter Search / Twitter

Don't know if this link worked.

Google it.

7 minutes ago, Brazos John said:

It looks like the fighter struck a drone, immediately headed downward, and hit the bomber.

Somebody is in a heap of trouble.

#drone - Twitter Search / Twitter

Don't know if this link worked.

Google it.

Wow, that would really suck if that's what happened. Hard to see in the video. What a shame and loss of person and machine.

A video post I viewed strongly suggested the P-63 was outside its' assigned flight path and the pilot executed a bank turn to return to the correct course.  The maneuver put the P-63 in a course that intersected with the B-17"s when the B-17 was in the point where the two paths intersected.  It is likely the bank angle prevented the P-63's pilot from seeing the B-17. 

On 11/12/2022 at 6:00 PM, Brazos John said:

In this photo provided by Nathaniel Ross Photography, a historic military plane crashes after colliding with another plane during an airshow at Dallas Executive Airport in Dallas on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022. (Nathaniel Ross Photography via AP)

Credit:  In this photo provided by Nathaniel Ross Photography, a historic military plane crashes after colliding with another plane during an airshow at Dallas Executive Airport in Dallas on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022. (Nathaniel Ross Photography via AP)

AP can't even get this right.  TWO historic military planes crashed, destroying both planes and their crews.

Archived