SASS Wire Forum

Volquartzen and Stingers

I have a couple Ruger 10-22's that I am thinking of "jazzing" up with Volquartzen barrels. While wandering around the LGS I overheard the clerk telling a customer that Stingers were NOT recommended for use by any manufacturer and would void the warranty on Volquartzen firearms and components due to chamber damage. Forgot it was Saturday and tried to get ahold of Volquartzen (they are currently closed) but now the question is bugging me.

I have been using Stingers in my Rugers (handgun and rifle) as well as several Buckmark pistols for around 40 years and never had any issues. In fact the Buckmarks are considerably more accurate with Stingers than anything else I have used.

So..... what is the deal?

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

4 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Any 10/22 barrel I've looked at with a tighter target chamber states not to use the slightly longer stinger round.  

From Wikipedia:

"The Stinger case is longer than that of the long rifle; about .702 in (17.8 mm) versus .613 in (15.6 mm) for the long rifle, but the plated hollow point bullet is lighter and shorter at 32 gr (2.1 g), giving the same overall length as the long rifle cartridge."

Thanks but now another question.

If the base of the actual bullet is .224 where it sticks out of the case, which is the same as the case mouth .224, what difference does it make if the case is .089 longer?

The dimensions don't change along the length of the cartridge until you get near the tapered head at the end of the bullet.

Also from Wikipedia:

Bullets for traditional .22 rimfires are the same outside diameter as the case but are constructed with a narrower cupped "heel" on the base of the bullet which is inserted into the case. The case mouth is then crimped around the heel, leaving exposed the majority of the bullet bearing surface that contacts the barrel of the gun.

In practice, 0.224 or slightly larger bullets are common, with barrel groove diameters commonly around 0.223

Regards

Gateway Kid

I've put bunches of em thru my Marlin 60, as far as I can tell they haven't caused any damage. They are damn accurate!

Here is the answer to the ammo question.

Left to right: Federal Auto match, CCI Velocitator, CCI Stinger (the plated case).

Good luck shooting stingers in match chambers because the case is longer.  Great ammo for non-match chambers although there are other fast 22's available these days other than Stingers.  Hope this helps.

IMG_3495.jpg

I have never had an issue with stingers from my 10/22, but mine is all factory. I do notice that Stingers are snug when loading my revolvers. 

If a manufacturer recommends not using something there is usually a good reason for it. I would probably not use Stingers if the maker says not to…in writing, not by word of mouth from a gun store clerk. ;)

The barrel makers will state: Do not use Stingers in Bentz chambers.

A standard Ruger 10/22 barrel is not a Bentz chamber.  Most if not all aftermarket 10/22 barrels are though.

One thing interesting:  The CCI stinger case is longer and thus also used to form the 17HMR ammo....

Above statement needs corrected.  Most match grade aftermarket barrels use Bentz design chamber.  Not all aftermarket barrels are match grade though and some use other even tighter tolerance match chambers than a Bentz.  Either way, better drop a stinger into whatever barrel you buy before installing it on your 10/22 and you can decide for yourself if a stinger fits.  

13 minutes ago, Pb Mark said:

One thing interesting:  The CCI stinger case is longer and thus also used to form the 17HMR ammo....

Above statement needs corrected.  Most match grade aftermarket barrels use Bentz design chamber.  Not all aftermarket barrels are match grade though and some use other even tighter tolerance match chambers than a Bentz.  Either way, better drop a stinger into whatever barrel you buy before installing it on your 10/22 and you can decide for yourself if a stinger fits.  

No.  The stinger case is used to make 17HM2.  The 22WMR case is used to make the 17HMR. 

Some gunsmiths, like CPC, will cut the chamber to the round you specify.  Green Mountain used to make a “stinger” barrel, maybe they still do.

Absolutely corrected.  Yes ,the 17 Mach 2.

Spelled that CCI Velocitor wrong too (or whatever) after pulling it out of a box for the picture too.  Bad day today, my Labrador Retriever might have eye cancer and been on the phone with various Vets today, so just tried to get lost in the forums.   Signing off now.

5 minutes ago, Pb Mark said:

Spelled that CCI Velocitor wrong too (or whatever) after pulling it out of a box for the picture too.  Bad day today, my Labrador Retriever might have eye cancer and been on the phone with various Vets today, so just tried to get lost in the forums.   Signing off now.

Prayers heading up for your Lab.

Howdy,'

I have shot a bunch of different barrels with  no problem with Stingers.

But I never saw a no stinger warning either.

Douglas air gauge match barrel ate em up like any other .22.

Best

CR

34 minutes ago, Pb Mark said:

Sorry to hear about your fur baby.

God Bless and keep you and yours

Respectfully

Gateway Kid

Okay so my question still remains.

If the Stinger is essentially a cylinder of .224 from just in front of the rim to just behind the tip of the bullet (including the case) why does it make a difference in the case length?

The bullet is essentially heeled so the the wider part of the lead bullet is .224, the case is spec'ed at .224 and the headspace is set by the rim not the case. It would seem from a dimensional perspective that there is no difference between a conventional long rifle with its slightly shorter case and the Stinger with its slightly longer case. The chamber is long enough to accommodate the over all length of both and the external dimensions are the same.

Very confused right now.

Thanks for all the info you guys are providing.

Regards

Gateway Kid

PS I am off to see what a "Bentz" chamber looks like

2 hours ago, Pb Mark said:

So sorry. I truly hope all goes well. 

Thank you all for the prayers for the dog.  He is 7 now, a very well-trained yellow lab from Double TT British Kennels.  Getting him help beginning Wednesday morning.  Wife and I finished dinner, everything will be OK folks.   We all truly love our dogs.  Man's best friend for sure. Started shooting SASS just because of the people involved in this sport.

I'm curious about the CCI Stingers.  Learn much here and with the club folks.  

Posting another picture from the CCI Ammunition web site.  Stinger ammunition has a red box warning.  " Use only in firearms having standard ANSI sporting barrel/chamber dimensions".  Guess this adds to the confusion.  

0.jpg

And I owe you folks one of my dog.  He is definitely smarter than me and has a better vocabulary.  Got him at 8 weeks old.  

0.jpg

Dearly love the Lab personality / physio type. and have had Lab friends for half a century, but nearly every one, from respected AKC breeders, has had medical issues.  The most recent, an otherwise perfect guy, has epilepsy as did my first.  The meds are better these days, but still a heartbreaker.  I will always have dog friends, four at the moment, but I think no more Labs.  It is too harsh at the end.

Yep Rip, I agree with you completely! 

My last three have all been male yellow labs.  First one an unknown pedigree pup from the humane society.  Nobody knew he had deformed hip sockets and square balls that did not fit.  After seeing issues at about nine months, the Emergency Vet based on the x-rays wanted to put him down.  With a sling for help getting up, he lasted about 9 years before cancer got him.  Second was a bullet-proof trained service dog for me after a serious illness that required building up to walk again after recovery.  Lasted a bit longer before cancer got him too.  Got this puppy to teach number two how to bark and learn to be a dog and get into typical dog trouble after my recovery.  He was all business and I wanted him to enjoy some of his life and he did.  This one and him became inseparable friends and worked as a team. I'm too old now to be a responsible owner of any more puppies. Still young enough to foster for the Humane Society or take in an older unwanted dog though.  Such is life.  

I do not want to hijack this Stinger ammo thread.  Writing this helped though.  Thanks.

Not exactly what you're asking about, but I have a VQ barrel on my S&W Victory and it absolutely loves stingers, but I get

my best accuracy from CCI standard velocity.  They function quite well and I'd use them if that was what I had,

but after running some 25 different brands and configurations the std ran best.  The Velocitors were pretty wild too!

SC

Archived