SASS Wire Forum

Use CCI Blazer .38 Special LRN ammo?

Mustang Gregg

I got a few boxes of it on a swap last month.

There's a new shooter here (who isn't reloading yet anyway) that may try it out.

I just wondered what other Pards thought of that stuff before we got a deal going.

Actually we don't even know if it's Berdan or Boxer yet. :wacko:

Much obliged,

Mustang

If it is Blazer Brass it is reloadable and has a boxer primer (single flash hole)

Haven't seen it lately but when it was around the bullet weight was 130 gr jacketed RN (not SASS legal).

Decent enough ammo for plinking and practice.

The Blazer aluminum cased stuff is NOT reloadable (due to the berdan primer system) and is very sticky in MY guns to extract. Works well as far as having something to shoot but would not be my first choice. No idea how it works in others firearms.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

17 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

If it is Blazer Brass it is reloadable and has a boxer primer (single flash hole)

Haven't seen it lately but when it was around the bullet weight was 130 gr jacketed RN (not SASS legal).

Decent enough ammo for plinking and practice.

The Blazer aluminum cased stuff is NOT reloadable (due to the berdan primer system) and is very sticky in MY guns to extract. Works well as far as having something to shoot but would not be my first choice. No idea how it works in others firearms.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Much obliged, Gateway!

Yes.  Sorry, I neglected to say that it has aluminum cases.  I should have mentioned that!

It has very dark gray 158 gr LRN bullets too.

And I wondered about the sticky aluminum possibility.

I reckon, if it works okay, we'll save it for rifle use in a lost brass match.

I appreciate your help.

Mustang  :FlagAm::FlagAm:

18 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

...I reckon, if it works okay, we'll save it for rifle use in a lost brass match...

No good, you'll have to save it for a lost aluminum match. :)  JK.

I occasionally see aluminum cases in the trash buckets at the unloading tables, so somebody is using it.  If the bullet is pointy at all, I would restrict it to pistol ammo.

15 minutes ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Much obliged, Gateway!

Yes.  Sorry, I neglected to say that it has aluminum cases.  I should have mentioned that!

It has very dark gray 158 gr LRN bullets too.

And I wondered about the sticky aluminum possibility.

I reckon, if it works okay, we'll save it for rifle use in a lost brass match.

I appreciate your help.

Mustang  :FlagAm::FlagAm:

If it is round nose, I would not use it in a rifle. Round nose - flat point (RNFP) bullets are the recommended round for tubular magazines due to the concern of accidental ignition of the following cartridge's primer. Pistol use is okay.

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

If it’s sticky you’re better off using it in your pistols, not your rifle.

If he's shooting in Classic Cowboy category at a match I'm at, by all means, let him use sticky ammo in his rifle! I need all the help I can get.

I got a deal ($50) on a lot of 1000 rounds of the same stuff in .357. I shoot it in my Henry single shot. No issues with sticking in the chamber. I would not run the round nose ammo in a lever gun though. 

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

If he's shooting in Classic Cowboy category at a match I'm at, by all means, let him use sticky ammo in his rifle! I need all the help I can get.

If he's shooting .38spl in Classic, he'll be MDQ'd by the 3rd stage. :P

:FlagAm::FlagAm:

On 11/12/2022 at 4:42 PM, Too Tall Bob said:

I got a deal ($50) on a lot of 1000 rounds of the same stuff in .357. I shoot it in my Henry single shot. No issues with sticking in the chamber. I would not run the round nose ammo in a lever gun though. 

Wow!   $50 for 1000?  I'd like to find a deal like that.  Even if they were too pointed, I'd file a quickie flat nose on them at that price. :o

Actually, these Blazer RN's are too "rounded" to set off a primer in a magazine tube.

Hello,

I use Blazer LRN 158 gr with aluminum cases.

I use it in the revolvers.  It is listed at under 900 fps I think.

I believe it says "not for rifles" right on the box.

Mo

On 11/12/2022 at 9:09 PM, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

The Blazer aluminum cased stuff is NOT reloadable (due to the berdan primer system)...

That is not completely right. These cases also have Boxer primers but with two primer holes. With Berdan ignition the anvil is in the primer pocket, with Boxer ignition in the primer.

Thanks.

I checked the boxes for "do not use in rifles" verbiage.

None was found.  Cobra is going to try them out this weekend.

Archived