SASS Wire Forum

Cap and ball procedures at match

Vail Vigilante

Those vials look very intriguing. What practical advantage, if any, have y’all found them to have over a cylindrical brass powder flask fitted with a valve spout for the powder charge of choice?

1 hour ago, Will Kane said:

Those vials look very intriguing. What practical advantage, if any, have y’all found them to have over a cylindrical brass powder flask fitted with a valve spout for the powder charge of choice?

For me the act of using a flask measure, twisting  it upside down with trigger pulled, causes me pain.  I just load the capsules with a Lee dipper.  I rigged a measure spout to fit on a power can and it works easier.

685789639_GrafspoweredmeasureJan2021.thumb.jpg.6ac48e61d99e5c4916dc6535f1362387.jpg

11 minutes ago, Will Kane said:

I would say repeatability and QC.  I'm using a powder funnel and correctly sized scoop.  I can fill 100 vials pretty quickly, and because they are clear, I can eyeball them to see that they each contain the right, and same, amount of powder, more or less.  And I never need to refill a brass flask at the range, so I don't need to keep a bottle of powder in the truck.  I don't really know if this is any better than using a brass powder flask with valve spout.  It works well enough for me.

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

For those using the vials. How easy is it to pour the powder into the chamber with the cylinder in the gun and not spill the powder?

I don't have shaky hands, luckily (my father suffered from Essential Tremor his whole life, and one of my sons does too -- it is a genetic generation skipper, I understand).  And I'm shooting .45 cal Ruger Old Army pistols.  I don't have any trouble.  YMMV.

I have not shot a C&B in a match. I have watched C&B shooters try to load in our almost constant wind. It is impossible at times. The paper cartridges appear to solve that issue. The same shooters are often not available to do posse chores when dealing with the wind.

Vials and extra cylinders take extra time either before or after the match. You can use multiple spouts with this flask to suit your needs. The plunger setup makes easier to hold and use.

18-21 gr FFg real of BP in a .44 gets the job done. We’re not shooting the wings off flies, so precise charges are unnecessary with pistols at SASS Frontiersman distances. 

Many C&B shooters like to make things complicated for reasons unknown to me. I like to keep things simple. I learned from a couple of the very best - Fingers McGee and J-Bar. 

YMMV. :)

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/69/1/FLASK-PS

2 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Vials and extra cylinders take extra time either before or after the match. You can use multiple spouts with this flask to suit your needs. The plunger setup makes easier to hold and use.

18-21 gr FFg real of BP in a .44 gets the job done. We’re not shooting the wings off flies, so precise charges are unnecessary with pistols at SASS Frontiersman distances. 

Many C&B shooters like to make things complicated for reasons unknown to me. I like to keep things simple. I learned from a couple of the very best - Fingers McGee and J-Bar. 

YMMV. :)

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/69/1/FLASK-PS

I much perfer the plunger style as well. Much easier to manipulate. 

8 hours ago, Will Kane said:

In areas with high humidity some substitute powders will clump and  bridge in the spout giving a light charge. One more thing that can go wrong. I use a Lee dipper to charge each cylinder. Goes fast and you can see if there is a problem. 

I usually man the unloading table. Never had a complaint that I wasn't doing my share.

I am enjoying all of the cap and ball tips here.  I suffer from c&b guilt.  Seems like every time I bring them to shoot the posse is small and I feel rushed to get them loaded.  I also tend to be a worker bee which leads to more guilt.  My guns   have been worked on by the best and I love them and need to shoot them more ;)!

Every time i get the urge to shoot my C&B revolvers for CAS I shoot a Plainsman match and the urge goes away...

Not sure why c&b shooters worry about “ posse chores guilt”.  You can’t do posse chores if you are not at the match.  Bring your cap guns and shoot.  I have my own system that I use at my cart.  Then I come back and do what I can to help out.  Not too worried about it.  I just keep moving and don’t hide next to my cart holding it down so it won’t float away.

1 hour ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Every time i get the urge to shoot my C&B revolvers for CAS I shoot a Plainsman match and the urge goes away...

Well, now that I've loaded up some BPS shotshells and 45Colt for the rifle, I'm definitely shooting Frontiersman -- Double Duelist -- at least the one time.  I figure everyone on the posse needs a good laugh.

I was shooting C&B before the Judge and Grant got the ball rolling.   Started with 1860 Armies, went to Navy Arms Navy Reb, went to Uberti 1851 Navies, then to ROA's when Arthritis hit my hands, went back to Uberti 1851 Navies.  Got a good buy on a pair of 2nd gen Colt 1851 Navies and didn't look back.  Have been known to take 12 1851's to local shoots.  I have loaded under my 100% beaver hat in a down pour, just rain no lighting.  As long as the shooter is average time I can charge 10 chambers while 2 shooters run the stage, fast shooters takes 3 or more.   

I charge the cylinder on the gun.  18 gr FFFg Goex or 777, felt lubed wad, .380" roundball.   Cap at the loading table.  If I do my part this is 2" or less at 25 yards in my 2 favorite 1851's

On 11/14/2022 at 4:58 AM, Yazoo City Gal said:

I am enjoying all of the cap and ball tips here.  I suffer from c&b guilt.  Seems like every time I bring them to shoot the posse is small and I feel rushed to get them loaded.  I also tend to be a worker bee which leads to more guilt.  My guns   have been worked on by the best and I love them and need to shoot them more ;)!

Shoot em up!!

Archived