SASS Wire Forum

Clean shooter percentage?

Bolo Bob

1 hour ago, Cibola Al said:

I’m sure I’m in the minority, ...

I recently had to get a small piece of lead surgically removed from my arm from splatter at an annual. And I wasn't even close to the line. 

The closer the targets get, the less skill required, and the advantage goes to younger individuals with faster reaction times. There should be more shooting skill required on "some of the" stages than just Fast-Twitch-Muscle reflexes. A stand and deliver stage is fun, but not when all of them fall into that category!

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Your not in the minority. I too like a balanced match. What I really don't like are targets less less than 6 feet from the firing line. This pits them about 4 feet from the muzzle.

I am skipping my state's BP match because all the targets are so close that you get splatter from them at the loading and unloading tables. Just don't see the point.

6 feet??  I like big and close, but in almost 12 years of CAS I've never seen targets less than 6 feet away.  Where are they doing this so I can come shoot a match?

1 hour ago, Itchy Trigger said:

I recently had to get a small piece of lead surgically removed from my arm from splatter at an annual. And I wasn't even close to the line. 

The closer the targets get, the less skill required, and the advantage goes to younger individuals with faster reaction times. There should be more shooting skill required on "some of the" stages than just Fast-Twitch-Muscle reflexes. A stand and deliver stage is fun, but not when all of them fall into that category!

Umm, I don't think so.  Farther, smaller targets places a premium on accuracy.  Bigger closer targets places a premium on running the guns without hiccups.  Both of those require skills, just not the same skills.  I remember a stage at a State match where misses didn't count, but you had to fire 10-10-4.  Lots of folks running sub 14s, BUT lots of folks jacking out rifle rounds, doing the Ruger go around, fumbling shotgun shells.

10 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

The closer the targets get, the less skill required, and the advantage goes to younger individuals with faster reaction times. There should be more shooting skill required on "some of the" stages than just Fast-Twitch-Muscle reflexes.

A stand and deliver stage is fun, but not when all of them fall into that category!

Point 1.  Not that anyone had YET brought out the old claim of further distance targets being "safer" - your example shows that splatter can attack and hurt from many distances.  I hope your injury heals well.

Point 2.  As noted; The closer targets require a DIFFERING skillset - not a lesser skillset.  And as I have explained and documented MANY times; big and close demands accuracy more than small and distant as the miss penalty becomes a much greater percentage of stage time.

Point 3.  As Quigley Down Under stated so eloquently - "said I didn't have much use for them - didn't say I didn't know how to use them"   

While he was referring to handguns - the same can be said of fine sight pictures.

Set the targets out a ways and I assure you; those youngsters with good reflexes and fast twitch muscle fibers will demonstrate their knowlege of sight pictures.  It will just be less fun for all and the differences on the score sheet will be much greater.

Point 4.  Please do not conflate "Stand & Deliver" with Big and Close. 

Stand and deliver is (usually) boring and demonstrates a lack of imagination (regardless of target distance).

Archived