SASS Wire Forum

Well horse's feathers!

Well horse knuckles.
Got all showered, shaved, cleaned up and respectable, shined my boots and knocked the dust off my Stetson: I went uptown with full intent to take in the parade, and stand with my hat in my hand (in the rain) for the Veteran's Day service.
11-11-11 (the original date ... it's 11 years past the century mark, so that's significant!), at 11:11, and ... nothing.
It's at six tonight.
Darn.

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:
Well horse knuckles.
Got all showered, shaved, cleaned up and respectable, shined my boots and knocked the dust off my Stetson: I went uptown with full intent to take in the parade, and stand with my hat in my hand (in the rain) for the Veteran's Day service.
11-11-11 (the original date ... it's 11 years past the century mark, so that's significant!), at 11:11, and ... nothing.
It's at six tonight.
Darn.

After dark?

Yep.

After dark.

No idea why.

If they have any kind of a parade, they'll have the Marching Band, and I get really uncomfortable with the idea of a marching band taking up the roadway and some of these damned Yankee drivers I see hereabouts ... wet roads, black pavement that gets so absolutely BLACK!!! that it sucks your headlights out of sight when it's wet ... no, gives me a bad case of the discomforts!

On the other hand, me poor dumb hillbilly, me know nothing!

Went ahead and went, they (wisely) had neither parade nor marching band.

I did real well until they spoke the Invocation, and then they played Taps.

as one of those "damn yankees now" - we drive better in that freezing rain and snow then yall do down there , back when i was living in texas and oklahoma i proved it driving I35 in a southern blizzard ...not that i wanted to mind you , bt i had to get documents from shepard to vance air base that day ;

bless all that turned out for the honors today 

We went to our annual local one, held at a Memorial Park near the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. The park itself is dedicated to veterans and has several fine monuments. A Memorial Day commemoration is also held there every year.

Not a parade, but a band from Fort Lewis, and a local high school ROTC group, with a couple of good speakers. Well done as always. We never miss.

Archived