SASS Wire Forum

Navy Arms 1866 Questions

Doc Altman SASS#74468

A buddy just called me.  Apparently a local gun store has a Navy Arms imported Uberti 1866 in .38 Special at a reasonable price.

I know there are some problems with some of the early Uberti 66s as far as short-stroking and finding parts for them.

I haven't seen the gun yet, but I'd like to be a little more informed when I head over there later today.  Can anyone offer advice on which ones to avoid, which ones are okay, and how to tell the differences?

Thank you all!

IMG_1102 (1).jpg

For what it's worth, I have a Navy Arms '66 in .45 Colt, purchased new in 1997 at Fort Hood.  It's a 24" octagon barreled specimen.  It's heavy and awkward and not terribly ergonomic and I absolutely love it.  Eight grains of Unique and 250 grain RNFP bullets is all it knows, but boy it really shoots.

I went over and looked at the Yellowboy.  It was a carbine version with a 16" barrel, blued lever, lever safety, and 1.50" carrier, so I didn't buy it.

I was hopeful, especially since it was priced at $699.  But it'll give me something to keep looking for.

Thank you all for the help!

--Doc

Archived