SASS Wire Forum

My first bull elk.......

RIDGE WALKER

I drew the golden ticket on my first try this year and although I have harvested two cow elk (one with bow, one with rifle) I had yet to harvest a bull.

This is by no means a monster animal but I was thrilled to see healthy 5X5  broadside in my rifle scope at 400 yards this past week.  

The rifle is a Christensen Arms "Ridgeline" chambered in .28 Nosler wearing a Vortex 15X LHT scope

It was around 8:30 AM when the opportunity presented itself.....he was the biggest bull in a group of approximately 70 elk.....which included several spike and raghorn bulls and plenty of cow/calves. 

The following photos includes a shot showing my perspective from my shooting spot......the herd was coming out of a bottom area into the sage brush and the bull I took was coming up in the rear, but not seen in that photo.  

Elk 4.jpg

Kill 2.jpg

kill 3.jpg

Kill.jpg

Nice!!! Congratulations.

You should come up our way and around Kapuskasing.

We have some REALLY big moose.

IMG_3563.JPG

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Atta boy, Ridge.  I really prefer elk to almost any other red meat.  Elk tongue, cooked, chilled, sliced thin, with generic yellow mustard all on a good Southern style biscuit is about as great a snack as I can imagine.

Thank you sir!  I agree it's a fantastic meat.  

Hope you and my fellow SASS members in the Prescott area are doing well!!

Bit cold for here, but not unbearable.  Got a whole mess of people, mostly cowboy shooters who get together once a week at Zeke's Eatin' Place (The one in Prescott, not the one in Ontario, CA....but they are connected by family or some such.).  It's almost as full of good information and the SASS wire.

A plethora of former California shooters up here.  We all made a run for the border when that state started to fail.  I personally was accused of "chickening out" by a number of people who listened to me beg them the write letters, visit officials , and join NRA for nearly 38 years and did not one thing, but they chastised me for abandoning them.  I suspect a majority of the guys and gals here experiences similar things, but you know what?  We jut don't discuss it much any more.

I just realized that you could come down here for a visit and, with a bit of planning, cross the Idaho line up near Preston, drop down to Logan in Cache Valley, Utah, continue south west through Brigham City, south again to Ogden, Great Salt Lake City past Provo all the way to Beaver, then east to the 89 and back south to Kanab on the Arizona border, then continue south and come on down here.  

You'd go through about 2/3 of the places I've lived and some of the greatest visual spectacles on the continent.

You could visit with the folks here, see some of the way we live, and have some fun.  I'll even put you up and buy lunch, and if you hurry you can miss out on all that winter cold, snow, ice, sleet, wind and other assorted things that keep me from ever moving back north again.

When can I expect you?

Congratulations!  You managed to find a bull that had lost his cloaking/stealth coating.  About fifty-odd years ago, up Montan way, I hunted for a bull elk, but me and several companions never saw one, in spite of seeing tracks in the snow. Obviously, those Montana bulls were the first to grow stealth hides! :rolleyes:

On 11/10/2022 at 10:58 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

You should come up our way and around Kapuskasing.

We have some REALLY big moose.

IMG_3563.JPG

Wow!  That guy is really short!

He's a little  over 6 feet.

We get pretty big wolves up here to cull them, but they're pretty friendly to humans.

The smaller moose in the trap is one we caught a few years ago in Southern Ontario.

Trust me. 

I'm a liberal. I'd never lie to you!

IMG_3565.JPG

2013 Moose Hunt Wintering Lake 064.JPG

On 11/11/2022 at 10:17 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Bit cold for here, but not unbearable.  Got a whole mess of people, mostly cowboy shooters who get together once a week at Zeke's Eatin' Place (The one in Prescott, not the one in Ontario, CA....but they are connected by family or some such.).  It's almost as full of good information and the SASS wire.

A plethora of former California shooters up here.  We all made a run for the border when that state started to fail.  I personally was accused of "chickening out" by a number of people who listened to me beg them the write letters, visit officials , and join NRA for nearly 38 years and did not one thing, but they chastised me for abandoning them.  I suspect a majority of the guys and gals here experiences similar things, but you know what?  We jut don't discuss it much any more.

I just realized that you could come down here for a visit and, with a bit of planning, cross the Idaho line up near Preston, drop down to Logan in Cache Valley, Utah, continue south west through Brigham City, south again to Ogden, Great Salt Lake City past Provo all the way to Beaver, then east to the 89 and back south to Kanab on the Arizona border, then continue south and come on down here.  

You'd go through about 2/3 of the places I've lived and some of the greatest visual spectacles on the continent.

You could visit with the folks here, see some of the way we live, and have some fun.  I'll even put you up and buy lunch, and if you hurry you can miss out on all that winter cold, snow, ice, sleet, wind and other assorted things that keep me from ever moving back north again.

When can I expect you?

I lived in Prescott Valley from 2016 until 2022 and was working too much to be able to join you folks unfortunately.

We still have lots of friends in the Prescott area and a daughter in Phoenix so we will be back in the area at some point each year.......

A good friend who is a SASS member works at High Country Guns.....Bob G. 

Stay well and thanks for the invite!!

2 hours ago, RIDGE WALKER said:

I lived in Prescott Valley from 2016 until 2022 and was working too much to be able to join you folks unfortunately.

We still have lots of friends in the Prescott area and a daughter in Phoenix so we will be back in the area at some point each year.......

A good friend who is a SASS member works at High Country Guns.....Bob G. 

Stay well and thanks for the invite!!

Good.  So, you got other people to come visit, too.  Could turn out to be a hell of a good time.  B)  :D

Archived