SASS Wire Forum

Bought Another Gun (Added Pics )

Sedalia Dave

I have a lot of 9mm ammo but nothing to shoot it in. Traded my only 9mm for my SASS rig.

Been looking at 1911s chambered in 9mm. Stumbled on one this evening on the PSA website. It is manufactured by ARMSCOR and imported by Taylor's and Co. It was lisrted as one of PSA's daily deals so it was almost 1/2 price.

Did a quick review search and didn't turn up anything negative so I pulled the trigger and bought it.

I'll give a range test once it arrives.

I have several 9mm 1911s.  Govt model, Commander length, Officer's Model and Defender length (5", 4", 3.5", 3")  The 3" is unique, as it's a Springfield EMP and has proprietary magazines.  In the others, I use a variety of mags.  My favorite mags and made and sold by Brownells, but the last few times I checked they were out of stock.  Tripp Research Cobra Mags work very well in most guns, as do Chip McCormick.  

My Springfield Loaded 9mm is one of my favorite guns.  I've shot untold thousands of rounds through it in IDPA and USPSA.  Current daily carry to work is a Dan Wesson Guardian, which has a 4" barrel and a rounded butt. 

Springfield Armory Loaded 9mm.jpg

Dan Wesson Guardian.jpg

SD, i saw a couple if those 9mm RIA 1911s at my LGS/range for sale. The clerks I was talking to said they are very reliable. 

Magazines? When i shot 45 ACP 1911s I only bought Wilson Combat after so many disappointments with others. I would bet their 9mm mags would be good as well. 

6 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've ordered from these folks multiple times with excellent results. 

https://www.gunclips.net/

Whatever you order and wherever you order from, I advise you to stay away from the "cheap" magazines.

Thanks,

In my 45 ACP 1911 I use Tripp magazines. To date I haven't had a single failure to feed.

I do case gauge all my reloads. 

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Thanks,

In my 45 ACP 1911 I use Tripp magazines. To date I haven't had a single failure to feed.

I do case gauge all my reloads. 

Love them Tripp mags.  I have them in 9mm, 10mm and 45.  Best mags I own.

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Also going to need to procure more magazines. What brands do you all recommend?

I went through a dozen or so mags for my Armscor / RIA .45 before I found that she preferred original Colt 1911 mags.  A local gun shop has a dresser drawer full of used Colt mags that people who wanted a "super duper special brand name combat competition" high dollar magazine just dropped their originals mags off.  I bought 10 for $50.00 and haven't had a failure in nearly ten years.

Good luck on finding 9mm mags.  Just try as many as you can get your hands on because one gun isn't the same as another.  Trying to "buy one / try one" will cost you a fortune, so find folks that already have a mag that will fit your piece and hope they will be willing to let you try them out

Maybe you'll get lucky and find out the ones that came with the gun work just fine.  

Good luck and let us know what happens.

I have had great results with Mec-gar mags in 1911s over the years too.

funny , i never thought of the 1911 as a 9mm platform either , but with now a lot of 45acp 1911s and a fair number of 9mm 1911s im now only saying ive not gotten used to the 38 super 1911s - those have not yet interested me 

12 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I got a Luger and a P-38 in 9mm but nothing modern.  I've having a hankering for a S&W CSX.

image.png.1145df49ec5cf1c8b749c031758ad5f3.png

I picked one up recently and I like it. It's my normal carry gun. I'm very partial to the single action.

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

funny , i never thought of the 1911 as a 9mm platform either , but with now a lot of 45acp 1911s and a fair number of 9mm 1911s im now only saying ive not gotten used to the 38 super 1911s - those have not yet interested me 

Back in Gangster days, the Super was highly regarded for penetration of the then heavier car bodywork and vests of the day.  I don't have a 9mm 1911 and don't find it to be a gap.

I built a 38 Super 1911 around a Caspian frame/Sig barrel and it is a wonderful shooter! My favorite 1911.

WARNING!!!

Palmetto State Armory Daily Deals page can be habit forming.  Many "financial distractions" can be found easily.

We purchased a S&W CSX for Shortcake as she wanted something with a bit more punch than her Glock 42. More mag capacity for a small handed shooter can be a challenge, but she really like the fit and feel of the CSX. Quite frankly, I really liked the way it felt and shot as well, so I may have to pick up a second one.

i like my S&W M39 and M59 , while not really a 1911 like my kimber they were patterned after it and the high power both the browning designs , but then i really like my high power a lot , 

i found that the berretta 92 and the newer SIG M17 [P320] shoot quite well for me too - i never would have guessed that , but i like them , so i guess i like the 9mm almost as much as my 45ACPs 

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

i like my S&W M39 and M59 , while not really a 1911 like my kimber they were patterned after it and the high power both the browning designs , but then i really like my high power a lot , 

i found that the berretta 92 and the newer SIG M17 [P320] shoot quite well for me too - i never would have guessed that , but i like them , so i guess i like the 9mm almost as much as my 45ACPs 

My wife had a 59 when we got married.  Used to get a lot of comments from the staff when we went to indoor ranges as most had never seen one. Her's was very accurate but I never liked the grip. She traded it for her SASS rig.

15 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

My wife had a 59 when we got married.  Used to get a lot of comments from the staff when we went to indoor ranges as most had never seen one. Her's was very accurate but I never liked the grip. She traded it for her SASS rig.

its interesting how many dont know of them , they were issued to a lot of LEOs back when , thyere were a lot released tpo the market when the departments upgraded to other choices , the SA/DA with the decocker made them a very nice safe carry , they still are a couple of my favorites 

19 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Sedalia Dave, you got me lusting and I gave up and got me this!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d1e.thumb.jpg.1035b6d02dcc8e6d2d1311c31769a94f.jpg

Which model S&W is that? The CSX? Looks like a metal frame. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Which model S&W is that? The CSX? Looks like a metal frame. 

It's the CSX.  Comes with a 10 round and a 12 round magazines. So you can carry it with 11 or 13 rounds but only if you are very familiar with 1911 actions. The frame is aluminum and the slide is steel.  It's a bit weighty, but that should help in softening up recoil.  Sorry for the poor pics.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d1d.thumb.jpg.fe21f8bb016b4aa0d7934df22d0c9a99.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Sedalia Dave changed the title to Bought Another Gun (Added Pics )
2 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Too bad it's a Nine...

Mec-gar mags work great in .45

Jabez Cowboy 

I have a Remington 1911 in 45 that I use for WB. And a Ruger mkIV with 1911 style grips and love shooting both of them.

My late wife :wub: traded our only 9mm (S&W 59) for her custom holsters. That left me with over 2K rounds of 9mm and no gun to shoot it with.

I like the 1911 design so to maintain familiarity I decided to add one in 9mm to my collection. Besides 9mm is very economical to practice with.

Archived