SASS Wire Forum

1866 Yellowboy Carbine .45 Colt rear sight question

Rum Crook, SASS #55339

Just returning after several years away.  Searched wire forum, and read rules manual, but still not sure if it is legal to replace the 1866 sight with a Marbles short shank, semi-buckhorn or flat top sight, mounted in a reverse position.  Believe that I would have to black out the white diamond, even though it would be pointing toward front sight.  I realize that I will have to file the sight dovetail to fit the European dovetail cut in the barrel.

Has anyone done this?

Those rear sight dovetails probably already cut to industry standard 3/8" wide at bottom of the cut.  Marbles have always fit just right for me on Uberti rifles. 

Don't file on the barrel dovetail!   File a touch off the bottom of the sight base if the fit is a hair tight.

good luck, GJ

19 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

My wife had that done on both of her '66 rifles.  Works fine and is legal, as long as you black out the diamond.

As long as the white diamond is NOT facing the shooter is does not have to be blacked out. I have a rifle where the insert can be removed. One edge is a V notch the other a U notch. All I did was flip the insert around so the diamond is not facing me. That way I can flip it around and use the diamond for hunting.

FYI…. A rear sight off a Ruger 10-22 fits with very little to no fittting. An added bonus is no need to blacken the diamond, just turn the sight insert around so it’s black side out! It’s worked well on mine for years.:)

On 11/10/2022 at 11:35 AM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Those rear sight dovetails probably already cut to industry standard 3/8" wide at bottom of the cut.  Marbles have always fit just right for me on Uberti rifles. 

Don't file on the barrel dovetail!   File a touch off the bottom of the sight base if the fit is a hair tight.

good luck, GJ

I did learn that, eventually. Goes back to the old saying, mess with the cheap part, leave the expensive ones be. 

I'm thinking hat the sight that was removed was the Winchester ladder on the barrel. I had a Uberti with a broken ladder sight and put a short Marbles in to replace it. The dovetail on the ladder sight guns is a bit further back than the ordinary elevator ramp sight, and the short shank one ends up in the same spot as the original. 

I'm not understanding putting it in backwards, could someone please explain. 

BB

26 minutes ago, "Big Boston" said:

I'm not understanding putting it in backwards, could someone please explain. 

Some sights have a removeable insert. The white diamond is only painted on one side. So you just remove the insert and flip it around so that the side facing the shooter is all black.

1572506742_Diamond2.jpg.0cdfdf3fd695788d3ffd12033cb780c0.jpg

291322980_Diamond1.jpg.1f21e09783aae8a96ecef1414a75bd4b.jpg

1447772318_Diamond3.jpg.61bde2952275faf5506900b5d02e638b.jpg

You can buy these types of sights here

http://www.marblearms.com/rear-sights.html?force_isolation=true

Marbles.thumb.jpg.eef329da35b96991b6dcb5e80b432683.jpg

On 11/14/2022 at 10:32 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

Some sights have a removeable insert. The white diamond is only painted on one side. So you just remove the insert and flip it around so that the side facing the shooter is all black.

1572506742_Diamond2.jpg.0cdfdf3fd695788d3ffd12033cb780c0.jpg

291322980_Diamond1.jpg.1f21e09783aae8a96ecef1414a75bd4b.jpg

1447772318_Diamond3.jpg.61bde2952275faf5506900b5d02e638b.jpg

You can buy these types of sights here

http://www.marblearms.com/rear-sights.html?force_isolation=true

I envisioned turning the whole sight around. I've never liked looking at the white, I turn all mine around, even on the ones I don't shoot for cowboy. IMHO not enough showing to worry about the rule, I'd just black it out if anyone made an issue about it. 

BB

Big Boston,

We were mentioning turning the insert around in the blade of the sight, but I was also saying that I would reverse the entire sight on the rifle.  The reason is, the .45 Colt Yellowboy Carbine mentioned, has the dovetail set only about 1 inch in front of the receiver, so even the short shank Marbles will not fit unless reversed.  I chose this instead of some of the fold down sights mentioned because it gives me the ability to adjust the elevation of the sight.  The dovetail is definitely not US standard, as it measures about .325 with a plastic caliper, and the sight is about .380.  I suspect that the reason it is so close to the receiver, is the barrel is round, and since it is .45 Colt there probably isn't enough metal there to put a US standard dovetail at a greater distance from the receiver.  I had a 1873 short rifle at one time, but didn't notice if it had a US standard dovetail.  Garrison Joe says that it does, so it does.

Howdy

I did not care for the factory sight on my 1860 Henry.

poRx84PTj

The dove tail is very close to the frame, not enough space for a standard Marbles sight. This semi-buckhorn sight from Track of the Wolf is short enough to be installed without having to reverse it. I did need to shim the bottom of the dovetail a tiny bit. I think I used a piece of aluminum from a soda can.

pnKzXM82j

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/882/1

It shows as being out of stock right now, but that is the rear sight I used in my Henry.

Archived