SASS Wire Forum

Look at this little rotten Dog & Cat killer

Buckshot Bear

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Legless?  There are systemic meds I use on my boys that eliminate the problem here, but of course AUS is lethal on all sorts of levels. this one probably as well.

I just looked it up. The one shown is engorged with blood. They are the size of a normal tick before feeding. Nasty little sob for pets but relatively harmless to humans unless there is an allergic reaction.

I hate ticks, fleas, etc.

Here you always see the legs on the ticks here, even engorged.  The meds apparently keep the bugs from locking on to the dogs.  Expensive, but glad to have them.  Only disadvantage is that if the tick drops off one of the dogs indoors, it might come after one of us.  Always wondered why, with some of the serious tick bourn human diseases there weren't human equivalents to the dog meds.

When I was in high school, back in the 60's, I went wood cutting with a friend and his dad one Sunday.  To be brief here, I woke up Monday morning unable to move my arms or legs, and unable to rotate my head or speak properly. 

When I didn't get out of bed for school, my dad came in.  He recognized the symptoms and pulled an engorged deer tick off the hairline on the back of my neck.  Within about an hour I was moving normally.  The ER doc gave me antibiotics and I went to school.  

My understanding is that there are particular tick  species that have a "venom-like" material in their saliva secretions that induce paralysis.   But some other species like common deer ticks also can cause paralysis symptoms and serious outcomes at particular stages in their life cycle,  if they attach to nerve-enriched body sites.  

I'm not a tick expert, but my experience from that ordinary deer tick suggests that all ticks should be considered dangerous, due to paralysis risk, as well as a whole suite of bacterial and ricketsial diseases for which they are the principal vectors.  

We used to vacation in a beautiful north woods area that was thick with ticks.  The tick dance, removing various pieces of clothing and spinning in front of a mirror, became both notorious and a family joke.  We were fortunate and careful, following suggested precautions.  We have them here in Montana, most often found on a dog prior to getting the preventive meds.

The problem with ticks here in VT is we have a deer tick that never gets big even when it’s engorged and if you don’t check carefully you can miss them really easily and they do carry Lyme disease, I know because I just found one of the tiny sob’s and it left a nice rash so now the doc’s have me on doxycycline for a few days, no big deal but I always check for ticks and this one snuck by and Lyme is not something you can ignore

The last year before I retired in 2009, one of my supervisory employees came into my office and asked me,  "Dale, you're an insect guy  how can I get rid of ticks in my yard and house?"

I asked a few questions.  He said he had thousands of ticks all over his back yard that were all over his dogs by the hundreds.  His wife and daughter had moved out to her mother's home until the ticks were eradicated. 

I asked him to bring in a couple so we could be sure they were ticks and not a type of common wingless, biting  gnat that we have in California.  He returned from lunch that day with a quart Mason jar filled to the lid with common dog ticks.  "OMG !!!" was my first utterance.  He said he had gotten all of those just by sweeping out the aluminum base channel on his sliding patio door. 

I went home to his urban tract home  with him for a look.  The back yard lawn and walls of the house were literally a moving mass of little ticks crawling everywhere.  

I called an insect collecting friend who was then the County Entomologist.  He hurried over and gasped when he saw the infestation.  He advised my employee and all of his close neighbors to immediately  contact a pest control company.  He did so, and they  tented and fumigated the house and yard with Vicane Termite fumigant.  It apparently did the trick and killed off the huge tick biomass, eggs and all.

I have never forgotten the sights of that jarfull of ticks, the house with ticks all over its exterior and interior walls, or the back lawn covered in ticks.

His wife eventually moved back home, but he said she was half-paranoid and had trouble sleeping.   I  sympathized.  We never found out the source of the nightmarish infestation.  

20 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

The last year before I retired in 2009, one of my supervisory employees came into my office and asked me,  "Dale, you're an insect guy  how can I get rid of ticks in my yard and house?"

I asked a few questions.  He said he had thousands of ticks all over his back yard that were all over his dogs by the hundreds.  His wife and daughter had moved out to her mother's home until the ticks were eradicated. 

I asked him to bring in a couple so we could be sure they were ticks and not a type of common wingless, biting  gnat that we have in California.  He returned from lunch that day with a quart Mason jar filled to the lid with common dog ticks.  "OMG !!!" was my first utterance.  He said he had gotten all of those just by sweeping out the aluminum base channel on his sliding patio door. 

I went home to his urban tract home  with him for a look.  The back yard lawn and walls of the house were literally a moving mass of little ticks crawling everywhere.  

I called an insect collecting friend who was then the County Entomologist.  He hurried over and gasped when he saw the infestation.  He advised my employee and all of his close neighbors to immediately  contact a pest control company.  He did so, and they  tented and fumigated the house and yard with Vicane Termite fumigant.  It apparently did the trick and killed off the huge tick biomass, eggs and all.

I have never forgotten the sights of that jarfull of ticks, the house with ticks all over its exterior and interior walls, or the back lawn covered in ticks.

His wife eventually moved back home, but he said she was half-paranoid and had trouble sleeping.   I  sympathized.  We never found out the source of the nightmarish infestation.  

Wowzers!  Have seen huge exterior masses of Boxelder bugs and Locusts and those are bad enough.  Ticks to that extent are mind boggling and nightmarish.

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I just hate them with a vengeance......even the snakes down here get them terribly.

e44b513b2fc30745fc3d375225c183d9.webp.f62a229ab97f0dd6b0af090da2f51b87.webp

_105139861_snaketick.png.f32f6ebd71e61d0822e3eb5ef9360138.png

Hard to feel sorry for a snake ---- BUT !   And the poor dog !!!

Archived