SASS Wire Forum

The Rear Gunner

Sedalia Dave

Well that was Ronnie Reagan flying the plane, Peewee was Burgess Meredith, and his buddy who couldn't shoot at Coney Island was Tony Franciosa.

I did not know they had cactus on Pacific Islands.

Yeah! Some cacti are found in places like the Solomon Islands, so I’m fairly certain that cacti can be found on other Pacific islands.

I thought the whole point of cactus - the way they are designed - was for desert. Doesn't seem like they would naturally grow on a tropical island.

But hey - I've been wrong before.

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I thought the whole point of cactus - the way they are designed - was for desert. Doesn't seem like they would naturally grow on a tropical island.

But hey - I've been wrong before.

You will find them on various Caribbean islands I have visited, and surprisingly, in a small but very nasty form, here in Montana as well.

They do grow in some tropical environments. And they are found on Western hemisphere islands.

On the other hand, there are succulents in dry environments elsewhere that strongly resemble cacti. Perhaps some are found in the South Pacific, but I don't know. I've read of South African plants that have a strong resemblance; similar environments may have produced similar types.

I worked with a guy in the '70s who was a tail gunner on something. I don't remember what. He told me the only way out of that turret was for some one inside the plane to open the door, couldn't be opened from inside. He was a small guy and joined at 17. First flight in combat they got shot down over the ocean (far east). He sat in the turret watching guys jump out of the plane, scared to death, thought they forgot about him. Suddenly the door popped open, by the time he got out of the turret that guy was out of the plane. I asked if he was scared to go back up, " Damned right, but I had no choice, but I left claw marks in the runway from the barracks to the plane"

There are cacti in Hawaii. Some of it is a prickly pear type that grows and spreads along the ground.

There is a particular breed of cactus that grows in Africa and some islands, (Madagascar in particular) in the Indian Ocean.

Archived