SASS Wire Forum

How Big Is the Crater Made By a 16in Gun?

Chantry

39 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Danger close for the HE 16" round was 1000 meters

Link: 

Due to being high velocity and low angle guns, they had their biggest probable error in range, with little deviation on azimuth. 

Some interesting info:

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=32618

Amazing! 

I had a gunnery instructor in the Navy tell us that the 16 guns were like firing either a Volkswagen or a Buick at your enemy when he’s 20 plus miles away. 

Wouldn't the size of the crater depend on what the projectile hit?

I'd think the impact and resulting explosion with identical projectiles would make different sizes of craters in, for instance, sand, concrete, prairie grasses, lava beds, swamps, forests, jungles, and a glacier.

Of course, I try to keep my shooting to sizes of weapons I can carry by myself.....and .50 caliber Browning M-1 HB machine guns and their kin (If I ever get the chance again   :D).

Naval gunners have the reputation of being able to put that Buick sized shell in your hip pocket from here to yonder, and they don't much care how far away "yonder" is!

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'd think the impact and resulting explosion with identical projectiles would make different sizes of craters in, for instance, sand, concrete, prairie grasses, lava beds, swamps, forests, jungles, and a glacier.

Of course, I try to keep my shooting to sizes of weapons I can carry by myself.....and .50 caliber Browning M-1 HB machine guns and their kin (If I ever get the chance again   :D).

I'm often amused when YouTubers try to see what bullets do to various targets. They always assume a .50BMG will cause the most damage. Often they're surprised when 12 gauge buckshot actually makes a much bigger mess, not realizing that a .50 is designed to punch through hard surfaces and will often just poke a big hole in soft media.

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Yeah, a 16” gun would send your shoulder to the next county.

Archived