SASS Wire Forum

Pocket Pistol Question

High Spade Mikey Wilson

I have a U.S Revolver Company pocket pistol in 32 S&W. The grip screw is stripped so I cannot remove the grips to get the serial number of it. My question is can this revolver safely shoot smokeless powder ammo? From what I have been able to find on the internet it can, but I'd like the opinion of those that may have one. Thanks.

U S Revolver Co.jpg

Mikey, I have one very similar made by Forehand & Wadsworth (F&W) and it is very hard to find any more than basic information about them. I used a very low-end Trail Boss load (probably 500fps) and mine works just fine. I used the TB formula in the Hodgdon data and even went lower than that by a little. Works great!

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Why take the chance?

Exactly.  It's easy to load real black or APP. I run APP through a regular powder measure. I also use it in a Dillon. A drop tube is recommended for black powder so I don't use it much in a handgun though.

Cleanup with APP is with water. Simple and fast.

Thanks for the tips. I actually purchased it a number of years back from a very reputable gunsmith and cowboy shooter. The main reason I asked the question about smokeless powder loads, since I have a box and a half of 32 S&W ammo, is since I would only use it once or twice a year at a local match, and needing to buy a set of dies at $50 a set to load up a few black powder loads, it just isn't worth it to me to buy a set of new dies. I'll keep an eye out for a set of used dies.

I would say no, mostly.  I've read (can't recall where) that the U.S. Revolver .32 was made by Iver Johnson using parts for the Safety Automatic Second Model, which is not rated for smokeless.  They were sold in different trade channels at different price points.  When Iver Johnson moved on to making the Third Model in 1909 (for smokeless powder), they supposedly used all of the remaining Second Model parts for U.S. Revolver guns.  The smallest effective powder charge pushing the lightest available bullet probably won't do the gun or shooter any harm, but why take the chance?

Archived