SASS Wire Forum

Pioneer Gun Works Lifter Springs

Hawk Eyes Hudson

I purchased a Uberti 357 rifle.  I was thinking about installing the Pioneer Lifter springs.   It requires that you do a simple modification on the stock gun lever by smoothing the edge where the left lifter rides on the lever itself, per the Pioneer web site.  If you install these levers and do the modification, will you be able to use the OEM springs or other aftermarket springs should you decide to change.  Anyone with this experience.  Please reply!  I would not want to purchase a new lever.

From PGW's website. They suggest deburring and polishing the cam surface. You shouldn't be removing material beyond whats needed to smooth the surface of the cam nor are you re-profiling the cam. Stock springs will work fine, provided deburring and polishing are not excessive.

If in doubt call PGW and ask them directly.

If you install these springs, buy extra pins, you'll need them.

image.png.e031140be5ff1a4ee0e446c8dc7b32c4.png

15 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

From PGW's website. They suggest deburring and polishing the cam surface. You shouldn't be removing material beyond whats needed to smooth the surface of the cam or re-profiling the cam. Stock springs will work fine, provided deburring and polishing are not excessive.

Ditto. :-)

Next time around on the Slix Springs Cowboys.  Installed the Super Short Stroke with the PGW lifter springs.  All seems to be functioning well.  I will test fire this week and have only ran several mag length dummy rounds.  I will be shooting 38 spl 158 grain I hope the ammo will function well.  Slicked up everything but the trigger, which sucks.  I have heard that the PGW coil main spring kit is the kitties meow!  Hope that is good info.  Anywhose, no goin' back now.  I used the Dremel and file approach and will say this.  Keep it level!  One thing PGW doesn't reveal is you can check your work by opening the lever up against the plane where the lever and lifter arms meets up and check for level.  My Miroku 73 lever open full and the Uberti Short Stroke is about a 2" difference.  Just in that instance the kit is worth the install.  Out of the box my Miroku is three times the Uberti.  Not Now.

Kippi Ki Yi Ya -   Cowboy gonna move a few seconds!

On 11/9/2022 at 11:51 PM, Hawk Eyes Hudson said:

Next time around on the Slix Springs Cowboys.  Installed the Super Short Stroke with the PGW lifter springs.  All seems to be functioning well.  I will test fire this week and have only ran several mag length dummy rounds.  I will be shooting 38 spl 158 grain I hope the ammo will function well.  Slicked up everything but the trigger, which sucks.  I have heard that the PGW coil main spring kit is the kitties meow!  Hope that is good info.  Anywhose, no goin' back now.  I used the Dremel and file approach and will say this.  Keep it level!  One thing PGW doesn't reveal is you can check your work by opening the lever up against the plane where the lever and lifter arms meets up and check for level.  My Miroku 73 lever open full and the Uberti Short Stroke is about a 2" difference.  Just in that instance the kit is worth the install.  Out of the box my Miroku is three times the Uberti.  Not Now.

Kippi Ki Yi Ya -   Cowboy gonna move a few seconds!

I have the coil spring, I bough here off the wire only because it was really cheap. It was slightly used and i wanted to see what it t would do without paying a lot for it. Kitty's meow? No. I really don't see Any noticeable difference between that and a modified factory spring spring. It may be a lot different than the stock factory spring, but those are cheap to modify. The only reason I keep it in the gun is I think there may be a less likely chance of it breaking over the leaf style factory one.... which in my experience,  rarely break. 

Would I buy one at the full price? No, IMO the price is just too much for what I see it does. But it is probably a much easier DIY project than cutting down your stock spring without the gunsmith's knowledge of how these guns run. Pay to DIY or pay for someone to do it for you, choice is yours. To me the results are the same. 

JEL

Ditto on  JE Law, had one, coil mainspring, didn't like it and sold it. Lightened leaf is superior in my opinion. 

I converted to the PGW Coil mainspring.  It replaced a factory stock mainspring that was only like 2 years old. I had no extra screw tension on the factory mainspring and would get FTF with anything except federal primers. I never tried to add tension, but that might have cured the FTF issue but would have changed the feel of the levering also. The PGW kit has a completely different feel than the stock leaf spring, but with the lightest supplied coil spring my rifle hasn’t had a FTF since and I’ve tried multiple brands of primers all the way up through magnum rifle primers for the AR platform. I’m not going back to stock, especially in the current primer market. 

Thanks for the input Comancheros!  If one pops up on the wire let me know and I will buy it.  I take pride in doing as much of my own work as possible.  I overhaul all of my Winchester 97's and re work all of my Ruger Vaqueros, installing Power's Custom half cock trigger kits.  I installed my Pioneer short stroke and its the pig's sty squeal!  Smooth as glass until it hits that wrought iron leaf spring and drops it to a stop.  I ordered the Pioneer coil today and feel that from all the input it will finalized the action.  I could have dropped $50 to 60 with shipping on a light spring but are they that good and will they break.  The coil system makes sense to me and from what I have heard seldom break or give trouble.  You are right about the price.  If it slicks my 73 to the degree I hope for, Money Well Spent!

Happy Trails and a Happy Thanksgiving!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the PGW Coil Spring Kit.  Install took about an hour and 30 minutes.  I was being cautious on the wood work.  Didn't want to screw that up.  I am gonna have to say, I for one really like the feel on the hammer pull and the spring tension.  Just seems smoother and the hammer falls with a sharp quick snap.  Using the lighter spring.  I have been watching some Long Hunter video and one speaks of shooter short stroke.  Light hammer tension and light lifter and lever spring causing possible short stroking of the lever and snapping of the bolt tab.  I think I am good on all that.  Thinkin about the Slix Springs in the back of my mind.  Down the road I will try the heavier coil spring and experience the difference.  I like the idea of being able to really adjust the tension.  Stock Uberti mainspring, Sucks!  Miroku stock main spring, very smooth out of the box.  PGW coil spring a step above the Miroku.  To each his own. 

Mewo! Meow!

Archived