SASS Wire Forum

RIP Hired Gun - Updated with info on the services

Black Hills Barb

Hired Gun (aka Jack Kurtz) passed away yesterday, Nov. 6, 2022.  Gun fully embraced cowboy action shooting and brought several others into the sport.  He was a confirmed bachelor and the cowboys and cowgirls were his family.  Jack was a member of the West Shore Posse, New Cumberland, PA and their TG for many years.  He was a life member of SASS and also a Regulator.  He will be missed by all that knew him.

Service at Rolling Greene cemetery Monday, Nov 14 at 1:30.  There will not be an obituary, nor a viewing or service at the funeral home. If you would like to follow the hearse from Parthemore Funeral Home, 1303 Bridge St., New Cumberland, you need to be at their location no later than 1:10.  If traveling to Rolling Green from Cedar Cliff 83 exit going toward cemetery, turn left at red light corner Carlisle Road and Creek Road.  Turn right at entrance into cemetery. Mausoleum is short distance on left behind the Tower of Love, a high pillared structure.  There will be a tent in front of mausoleum.  Friends of Jack will offer few words with the offer for any others to share a few words. There will be an offer to gather afterwards at Nicks in New Cumberland to remember Jack and share stories.  Please share this information with all you think would like to know.  Kathy Fackler has been in contact with several people from Jack’s past, but I do not know who she has contacted.  Better to have someone contacted more than once than overlooked.  Thank you for being  Jack’s friend.   Hope to see you on Monday.
Cowboys are encouraged to wear their cowboy attire. 

So sad to hear of this. Shot with "Gun" many times back in the day. Fine cowboy he was. I know he was struggling the past few years since he had his stroke.

May he rest in peace.

I would have to say he was the one that introduced me to Cowboy action shooting and was my mentor in all aspects of the sport. We met at a gun shop that he worked at and told me about the sport. Said it was the most fun you could have with your pants on. That weekend was the last shoot of the season at Westshore Posse. After watching that and listening to him I was hooked. That was the beginning of what became a very close friendship. Although he chastised me for going to the Darkside he liked to tease me about that. But was happy to hand his beloved Colts over to Dances with Toe shoes to give her lessons for shooting cowboy. 

He was responsible for getting many people into the sport.

Since he has been unable to attend any matches the past few years due to his health I always made sure to bring him the shooters book from any 3 day match Dances and I attended....sadly I am unable to give him the one from the NC match we just came home from. 

Hired Gun you will be missed by all of us .

Sgt Hochbauer

Hired Gun was my friend, not only in cowboy action shooting, but in life in general. Hired Gun and Morgan James were the driving force behind me getting my SASS Regulator Badge. He was kind, generous and a lover of dogs. He will be missed by many.

Always sad to hear of those that have passed & were liked/ loved by many...Hired gun sounds like one of those. to many good ones are moving on .

May 'Gun find peace .. condolences to family & friends.

• Black Hills Barb changed the title to RIP Hired Gun - Updated with info on the services

Hired Gun was the finest.

This is very sad news....

Shot with him a many times, from WSP to Boot Hill and all in between.

Barb, I find I am getting to a point in life where the old pards start crossing the river....:(

59 minutes ago, Gunner, SASS #1940 said:

Barb, I find I am getting to a point in life where the old pards start crossing the river....:(

You were a youngin' when you joined up.  You are so correct that many are crossing the river.  Sadly, many of them are running the clubs and when they go, it's hard to say if anyone will step up to take over.  I touch base with Lester from time to time and sadly the last time I did was to tell him about Gun. 

Hope all is well with you.

Archived