SASS Wire Forum

Does it annoy you when people just use the model number?

Alpo

25 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I thought he was talking about the Bergmann 1911... :blink:

TheyTHAT came out in 1909 because they ownED stock in the company?

Hi Alpo,

The Springfield Armory version of the M14 was the M1A, which was used for target and match shooting since the '70s. I had someone show me his "M-1" and I was surprised it was and M-14.  So yeah, an M-14 can be an M1...sort of. But I should have included the "a".

When Springfield decided to make their street legal version of the M14, they were going to call it M14. And the government told them they couldn't do that. M14s were machine guns, and since their guns were not, they could not use that term. So they call it an M1A because the capital a kind of looks like a numeral 4.

Heh heh heh. Screw you government.

Then Norinco started exporting one here from China. And they called it an M14. Then a couple of other people started making them. And they also called them M14.

Springfield is the only one that still calls their rifle an M1A. Nobody else makes an M1A.

And people that refer to an M1A as an M1 are dumb. That's like calling a Chevrolet Corvair a Chevrolet Corvette. They both start with Chevrolet, right, so it's the same thing.

Well, I had to do some work on my 66. But it has an iron body and not bronze. My 66 is a Singer and it didn't want to pick up the bottom thread!

Archived