SASS Wire Forum

Does it annoy you when people just use the model number?

Alpo

Without saying what the manufacturer is?

If someone is talking about their 1894, do you suppose they mean their Winchester rifle caliber lever action or their Marlin pistol caliber lever action?

I remember a thread one time where someone was trying to decide between a 17 and a 19. This was confusing because of 17 is a 22 and a 19 is a 357. They have nothing in common except they're both k-frames. But he was talking about Glocks and they're both 9 mm.

What brought this on is on another board this morning there's a thread about sights on a Model 57. I thought maybe he was trying to decide between a Patridge and a red ramp on his 41 magnum. Turns out that he meant as Zastava 9 mm.

It's nothing to throw a fit about, but I just find it annoying. I would say 95% of the time if someone is talking about their Model 37 shotgun, they mean a Ithaca pump. It's that other 5% of the time when they mean the Winchester single shot. I remember a thread one time where a guy is going on about his original 1873, and then he mentions that it's in 45 Colt. And I told him it wasn't original - that it was most likely an Uberti. And he got real bent and insisted that it was "a real Colt, not no piece of Italian junk".

38 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I have been annoyed about many things. That is not one them.

But you will be now that I have brought it to your attention. :P

I guess it depends. If on a general gun form and someone says “I shot 3 rounds from my 36 today” this would be annoying. 
- If in a revolver forum I would assume S&W model 36 

- In a black powder forum I might think .36 caliber

- If in a Glock forum I would assume Glock 36

- If in a rifle forum I might think H&K G36 

Actually, now that I think about it, yes, just using a number can be mildly annoying, but I usually ask for clarification, just to be sure. 

So Glock just announced their new Glock 44, chambered in 22 rimfire. I figured now would be a good time to explain Glock and their models....
The Glock 44 is in 22. The Glock 22 is in 40. The Glock 40 is in 10 like the 20. There is no Glock 10, but there is a Glock in 9 aka the 17 and 19 and 26 and 43, not including the 48 - which came out before the 44 - and the 43X, which are the same except for the ways in which they’re different. Actually they’re like the 45, which is a 9, which is the same as a 19x which is actually more like the 17 than the 19. Strangely enough the 45 came before the 44, but 45 came before 9, but not 44, so maybe that’s the logic. If you wanted a 45, you need a 36, a 41, a 30, a 21, or a 21SF, or a 30S, or a 30SF. Of course if you want Glock’s 45 you need a 37, 38 or 39. The 38 isn’t a 38, there are other 38’s. If you want a Glock, definitely get the 19 and maybe a 22 to practice with - not the 40 22, but the 44 22. The 22 won’t help you to practice with your 9 as much as a 23, which is closer to the 19. Unless your goal is competition, in which case you should have been considering a 35 or 17L or 24 or 41 or 34 which are 40 9 40 45 9 respectively. The 31 32 and 33 are actually 357’s but not the 38 357’s. They’re 357’s that are more like 9s but not like the 380 is like 9’s. If you wanted that you need a 42. And nobody likes a 42, you’re better off with a 9. And therefore try a 44 because everyone loves to work on their 9 with a 22.

RG/Rohm makes a Model 57 and a Model 66, so does S&W. Ruger made a Hawkeye rifle and a single shot Hawkeye pistol. Ruger also made original model Vaqueros marked New Vaquero, and New Vaqueros marked Vaquero. There are dozens more examples.

My belly hurts ...

...from laughing ...

LawMan Mark, thank you, compadre, you've given this old retired lawman the best laugh I've had in a very long time!

If laughter is indeed healing, I ought to enjoy outrageously good health at least until next July!

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

So Glock just announced their new Glock 44, chambered in 22 rimfire. I figured now would be a good time to explain Glock and their models....
The Glock 44 is in 22. The Glock 22 is in 40. The Glock 40 is in 10 like the 20. There is no Glock 10, but there is a Glock in 9 aka the 17 and 19 and 26 and 43, not including the 48 - which came out before the 44 - and the 43X, which are the same except for the ways in which they’re different. Actually they’re like the 45, which is a 9, which is the same as a 19x which is actually more like the 17 than the 19. Strangely enough the 45 came before the 44, but 45 came before 9, but not 44, so maybe that’s the logic. If you wanted a 45, you need a 36, a 41, a 30, a 21, or a 21SF, or a 30S, or a 30SF. Of course if you want Glock’s 45 you need a 37, 38 or 39. The 38 isn’t a 38, there are other 38’s. If you want a Glock, definitely get the 19 and maybe a 22 to practice with - not the 40 22, but the 44 22. The 22 won’t help you to practice with your 9 as much as a 23, which is closer to the 19. Unless your goal is competition, in which case you should have been considering a 35 or 17L or 24 or 41 or 34 which are 40 9 40 45 9 respectively. The 31 32 and 33 are actually 357’s but not the 38 357’s. They’re 357’s that are more like 9s but not like the 380 is like 9’s. If you wanted that you need a 42. And nobody likes a 42, you’re better off with a 9. And therefore try a 44 because everyone loves to work on their 9 with a 22.

E434F414-7B2D-4EBC-BE43-BFD095F49295.jpeg

Glock’s an easy target. 

How about Smith & Wesson? A 327 is a .357, not a 327 magnum. 

In J frames chambered in .38 Special we have models 60, 640, 642, 442, 637, 640 again, but different from the first 640, 360PD, 636, 638, 340PD, model 60 again, but different from the first, 36, M&P 340, and again another 442 and 642. 

Then we have the 29 series which is a .44 Magnum

The 27 series that’s .357 Magnum.

Then we have the L frame 586 and 686 thst are .357 magnums, but then we have the 986 and the 929 that are 9mm but are numbered as if they should be in the .357 or .44 magnum series. 

Then we have Ruger Vaqueros which became New Vaqueros, but now they’re Vaqueros again. 

Every gun company has it’s quirks. And some, like; Glock and S&W take a crapload of studying to figure out what the hell they’re doing. :lol:

51 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Glock’s an easy target. 

How about Smith & Wesson? A 327 is a .357, not a 327 magnum. 

In J frames chambered in .38 Special we have models 60, 640, 642, 442, 637, 640 again, but different from the first 640, 360PD, 636, 638, 340PD, model 60 again, but different from the first, 36, M&P 340, and again another 442 and 642. 

Then we have the 29 series which is a .44 Magnum

The 27 series that’s .357 Magnum.

Then we have the L frame 586 and 686 thst are .357 magnums, but then we have the 986 and the 929 that are 9mm but are numbered as if they should be in the .357 or .44 magnum series. 

Then we have Ruger Vaqueros which became New Vaqueros, but now they’re Vaqueros again. 

Every gun company has it’s quirks. And some, like; Glock and S&W take a crapload of studying to figure out what the hell they’re doing. :lol:

Smith & Wesson is horribly convoluted, but they've been in business for 170 years.  The defining of their model names and number, their serial numbering, and not to mention their dash number system runs to several pages.  The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson is a huge book, mostly filled with identification of the models via serial number and model number.   

Give it up, Alpo.  We can't win this fight or several million others that annoy us.  Don't try to milk it for any more support.  I'm still working on why a sixshooter isn't a "pistol" anymore.  It was for the first 50 or 60 years on my life.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Give it up, Alpo.  We can't win this fight or several million others that annoy us.  Don't try to milk it for any more support.  I'm still working on why a sixshooter isn't a "pistol" anymore.  It was for the first 50 or 60 years on my life.

Say it isn't so, what is it now?

9 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Say it isn't so, what is it now?

REVOLVER!  It's a revolving pistol, don'tcha know.

Kind like .45 Long Colt or Colt Long.  There ain't no such thing but for about 150 years everyone has been calling them that and every cotton picking person on the planet knows what you mean when to say it.  Why does a p-----g contest start every time someone says .45 LONG Colt. 

IT DOESN'T MATTER, but someone is showing off by scolding someone else for saying it.

The use of the term "pistol" predates semi automatics.  It was used when there were single shots, and then when there were revolvers.  All revolvers designed to be capable of being held and fired with one hand are pistols, but not all pistols are revolvers.

54 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I tried one once. It was fun in a silly sorta way, but not practical in my world. Maybe for a bodyguard or someone like that. 

And you gotta pay to feed it. :lol:

On 11/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Ha.  The number one reason I stick to the 1911.....no confusion there.

You have never seen a Winchester 1911? It is a shotgun.

Someone on SASS Facebook page asks, Can I use a Model 28?", several people weighed in and said NO because they thought he meant a S&W Model 28 Revolver including me. He later edited his post to ask if a Model 28 shotgun could be used for Wild Bunch. He was referring to a Marlin Model 28 pump shotgun! Why didn't he say that from the beginning instead of just asking "Can I use a Model 28". People are so stupid sometimes!:(

On 11/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, Pariah, SASS #26619 said:

Hey Subdeacon Joe, which M1 rifle? The Garand or the fancy M-14? 

I gotta admit, people telling about the M-1 they used to own is kinda confusing...and annoying.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:26 PM, Alpo said:

The M14 is not an M1. It is an M14.

He did leave out the submachine gun though.

I believe he was referring to rifles being referred to as simply a M1. With the ambiguity being is it a M1 Garand or a M1 Carbine. 

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Someone on SASS Facebook page asks, Can I use a Model 28?", several people weighed in and said NO because they thought he meant a S&W Model 28 Revolver including me. He later edited his post to ask if a Model 28 shotgun could be used for Wild Bunch. He was referring to a Marlin Model 28 pump shotgun! Why didn't he say that from the beginning instead of just asking "Can I use a Model 28". People are so stupid sometimes!:(

I used to work in a computer retail store. I'd get phone calls from somebody asking "when is the X1170T coming out?" I'd ask what the hell that was, and the guy (probably a kid, actually) would get annoyed and say something like "it's the new nVidia video card they just announced, dummy" or something like that.

In case anyone wonders why nobody wants to work in retail anymore...

Archived