SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne Movies

The True Grit thread got me to thinking about John Wayne’s body of work from 1939- 1976. There were a few turds like Ghengis Kahn, but not many. He starred in many memorable films, creating iconic roles. Often they’re like potato chips - you can’t get enough of them and keep going back again and again. Then there were others that stand out because he brought something extra to the role. 

So if you could pick only one, which of his films stands out as his best in your mind? Doesn’t have to be a western. 

I’ll start by saying The Shootist. 

He did a remarkable job with the role of Ethan in The Searchers, particularly considering the fact that the screenplay was changed so much from the original story.

That role SHOULD HAVE earned him an Oscar for best actor.  The range of emotion and of pure acting skills was way beyond those he projected in True Grit and in several other parts where he was probably the best portion of a great movie!!

The Quiet Man as a comedy and The Cowboys as a drama come to mind as well as Sands Of Iwo Jima when speaking of the Duke and great performances.

My personal opinion is that True Grit was not one of his better dramatic efforts and that the movie as a whole was pretty unspectacular!!  He DID carry that film and presented some memorable scenes!

It's a great subject. Though I watched lots of TV Westerns growing up (born in 1948), I never saw many Western movies. Basically I had nothing to do with Westerns particularly until I got involved with SASS in 2004. Then I got very interested in Westerns. Sgt. Quincannon, who used to post here, had a great list which got me started.

Just to say that I had no real opinion about John Wayne movies until nearly 30 years after he died. He wasn't an idol or an icon to me at all. On the other hand, I had no animus against him. Of course, I had many general impressions of him; you couldn't help that in our time and generation.

So I approached his movies with an open mind. On balance, he was better than I had expected. Though he played "John Wayne" mostly, it also served him and the audience well. Some of his movies I think are outstanding. Stagecoach, Red River, Hondo, Rio Bravo, and the Shootist I think are among the greats. The Searchers, usually rated the highest, I don't like as a movie overall, which doesn't change the fact that he is great in it and it has truly fine moments. I think of Liberty Valance in similar terms.

A lot can be said about many others of his movies. They are always pretty good; even the lesser ones. I came to believe that he definitely earned and deserved his stardom. And yet I have many more Western actors that I think were better; some much better.

The Shootist was his best, in my estimation, but perhaps not my favorite JW movie. 

I’m going to make an observation at this point.  It is often said that John Wayne played “John Wayne” in many movies where he appeared.  

In the film industry, they have what is called “casting”.  That’s where someone is tasked with finding the right actor to fit a certain part/character portrayal.  You wouldn’t put Henry Winkler in the role of Sean Thornton opposite Maureen O’Hara, nor Burgess Meredith in the role of Big Jake!!  Robert Mitchum would have made a ridiculous Walter Mitty and Billy Crystal a terrible “Harmonica” in Once Upon A Time In The West.

John Wayne played characters that his size, voice, and demeanor was suited to. The same is true for James Stewart, Henry Fonda, and most of the other actors then and now.

4 hours ago, DocWard said:

The Cowboys, with The Shootist a very close second.

+1

To see him passing on the characters experience to younger men coming of age. To mentor the youth.

CJ

I'd be hard pressed to say I have a favorite John Wayne movie.  Can't really say I cared for any one more than another.  Just wasn't a big fan.  I'm not speaking of him personally because I didn't know him or any of his family.  Just didn't care for him as an actor.  I'll just as soon skip over most any of his movies if I'm scanning the tv guide looking for something to watch.

Unlike some, I liked the remake of True Grit better than the original.  Not because it had Jeff Bridges instead of John Wayne, or Matt Damon in place of Glen Campbell.  No, Hailee Steinfeld was the star of the remake for me.

I guess I'm just a Clint Eastwood kinda guy.

7 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

+1

To see him passing on the characters experience to younger men coming of age. To mentor the youth.

CJ

Exactly.

Always get choked up when John Wayne, after all that's happened during the movie,  picks up his niece and says "Let's go home Debbie" near the end of the Searchers.

Can't help it, BEST John Wayne movie ever.

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’m going to make an observation at this point.  It is often said that John Wayne played “John Wayne” in many movies where he appeared.  

In the film industry, they have what is called “casting”.  That’s where someone is tasked with finding the right actor to fit a certain part/character portrayal.  You wouldn’t put Henry Winkler in the role of Sean Thornton opposite Maureen O’Hara, nor Burgess Meredith in the role of Big Jake!!  Robert Mitchum would have made a ridiculous Walter Mitty and Billy Crystal a terrible “Harmonica” in Once Upon A Time In The West.

John Wayne played characters that his size, voice, and demeanor was suited to. The same is true for James Stewart, Henry Fonda, and most of the other actors then and now.

John Wayne chose to play John Wayne.  She Wore A Yellow Ribbon is the film he acted in.  

Duke was type cast as the larger than life hero. Lovable and kind. Never cruel. In Rio Bravo he was larger than life for sure. But hard and cruel.. one of his best performances in my opinion.

i liked most everything he did , shootist , rio bravo , true grit , but ...

as said "He did a remarkable job with the role of Ethan in The Searchers," ...........that made a big enough impression on me that i patterned my cowboy dress after that movie , ive been wearing jeans with those huge cuffs and was wearing the bib shirts from day one , i only deviate to a slightly cooler shirt in real hot weather still , i liked him in this one a lot , 

A couple of responses to this got me thinking - why are there so many horribly played parts in John Wayne movies?

The Shootist for example; everybody loves this movie, but Harry Morgan and Ron Howard ruin this one for me.   Kim Darby does her damndest to ruin True Grit.   Jeffrey Hunter tries real hard to ruin The Searchers (as do Ken Curtis and Henry Brandon who is no Indian, let alone a Comanche chief).   And I do not buy Montgomery Clift as a "stare down John Wayne" type in Red River.   

How good is John Wayne?   All these movies are STILL considered classics despite these glaring flaws.   The Searchers is generally considered the best Western (and one of the best movies) of all time, yet John Wayne and Ward Bond are the only ones in it who are at all believable (other than maybe Laurie's parents).  

The Searchers.

To me, it will always be Wayne at his best. Should have earned him his first Oscar. IMHO

"The Shootist" was my favorite.

Watching Donovan’s Reef tonight. Was my dad’s favorite John Wayne movie!

i dont recall one of his movies i didnt like , the cast was often the same and yet he added some along the way even if for a single movie that really added to my enjoyment of that particular movie , 

i also liked his politics and could care less of any personal issues anyone might ever bring up - we all have things ....all that said to defend the man in real life i respected , there arent many in gollywood id say this of and many id say otherwise of with pleasure 

Archived