SASS Wire Forum

Colt New Frontier

Rye Miles #13621

Good article in Handguns magazine abut the Colt New Frontier. I didn't know it was designed and named the New Frontier for JFK. They had a personally engraved model ready for him and then he got assassinated and it was never presented. They named it the New Frontier because that was Kennedy's agenda. He was also the LAST DEMOCRAT POTUS to be an NRA member. Say what you want about his faults, we all have them. but he was at least pro gun.

This is an older article from Shooting Illustrated 

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/colt-new-frontier-model-revolver-made-for-john-f-kennedy/

Oddly, the New Frontier is the only SAA variant that I don't have an example of in my collection.   At least not a real Colt.   I do have clone made by Interarms that they called "The Virginian Dragoon," in .44 Magnum.  (Curiously Colt did make a handful of NFs in that caliber.)

It's a nice gun, got it for cheap, and I am itching to use it at a match someday.   

That being said, I'd like to eventually get a real Colt NF to round out the collection.   For some reason, I think .44 Special is the most "logical" caliber to get one in.   But I don't know why.   :)

Excellent, well finished and accurate guns.  When I got mine, a 44 Special, many years ago, it was the least desirable NF caliber and priced lower than some others.  Not the reason I bought it, just happened to have cash when it came up for sale at a shop I patronized. Haven't shot it much, just one of my few Colt SAAs.

I’d like to get one in .357. I have 4 Colt SAAs in .357 I shoot and reload .38’s

14 minutes ago, Wallaby Damned said:

I’ve got an 1895 Army & Navy in 38 Colt. Mostly just hangs on the wall but I’ll take it down now and then so it doesn’t feel neglected. 

Nice guns, but this has what relationship to the original post?

Howdy

Yes, I remember JFK and his New Frontier speech when he accepted the Democratic nomination for President in 1960. Kennedy said that the American people must be prepared to sacrifice in order to cross “a frontier of unknown opportunities and perils.”

Yes, I knew the Colt New Frontier was named after his slogan.

I found this 45 Colt 2nd Gen New Frontier a couple of years ago. It shipped in 1965. The grips are a bit worn, but other than that it is in nice condition.

New Frontiers generally don't go for as much as a standard SAA, I got this one for $900.

pn7Wh3Q0j

Here is a photo comparing the New Frontier to a Ruger Blackhawk.

pnJagSaXj

58 minutes ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

Bush 41 was an NRA member but got in a tiff with the NRA and resigned when he was POTUS...

I said JFK was the last DEMOCRAT POTUS, Bush was a Republican.

9 hours ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

Bush 41 was an NRA member but got in a tiff with the NRA and resigned when he was POTUS...

He resigned from the NRA after leaving office when the NRA was critical of the Secret Service.  I don't remember the context, but the phrase, "jack booted thugs" was used.  But the falling out began during his term.  He came out in support of many gun control proposals after running as a friend to America's gun owners.   The NRA refused to endorse him for reelection.   That was the beginning of the falling out.

I saw a pair of presentation Colt SAAs at the Custom Shop when GW Bush was president.  Gold filled reproductions of the White House and, I believe, the Capitol Building on the pistols as well as some other items.  I don't know if they were ever presented to him.

6 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

He resigned from the NRA after leaving office when the NRA was critical of the Secret Service.  I don't remember the context, but the phrase, "jack booted thugs" was used.  But the falling out began during his term.  He came out in support of many gun control proposals after running as a friend to America's gun owners.   The NRA refused to endorse him for reelection.   That was the beginning of the falling out.

With all due respect this post has absolutely nothing to do with Bush or any other POTUS. Just sayin’…..

JFK was the last real democrat - and that has nothing to do with the NRA either save he was a member , there are a lot of republicans [probably democrat ] members that have issues with the currant NRA .............i do , but then that has nothing to do with the COLT NEW FRONTIER either , i do like it , maybe one day ill have one ????

On 11/6/2022 at 10:35 PM, watab kid said:

interesting visual comparison , i had no idea they were so similar - in most every detail really , 

The shape of the front sights is quite different, and the front sight on the Colt is set back about 1/4" or so from the muzzle.

pldGb498j

The rear sights are quite different to.

pnfrCCi1j

And of course the firing pin is mounted on the hammer.

poGNvj4Kj

Not obvious from the earlier photo, the Ruger is a little bit larger than the Colt.

I can't really say why, but I've always wanted a New Frontier in .44 Special. I acknowledge being a fan of Skeeter Skelton's writings and hence a fan of that caliber, but I don't own any other revolvers in .44 special,  as I've personally always favored .45 Colt. Somehow the idea of a New Frontier in .44 Special just says, "this fits" to me. I expect I'll have one some day.

Archived