SASS Wire Forum

My new Glock

Vail Vigilante

I went to the Gun Show today. Just to stretch my legs and get some steps in. I bought a new Glock 34 MOS Gen 5 for a decent price. Actually for less than the big box store by a good bit. They also had the RV show right there too. The wife and I keep talking about one. We need to rejigger our lives a bit to accommodate it. But what a thing it would be. I hiked the RV show with her on video conference. So I got my steps in there too.

35 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The G34 was specifically designed to be the gamer model for IDPA.  It will just fit into the IDPA Go/No Go box.  I have a Gen 3. 

What year did you buy your Gen 3 G34?

I have found that my two, both made in 2018 and 2019 do not hold a candle to the one I bought in 2005, which I stupidly sold a few years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have found that my two, both made in 2018 and 2019 do not hold a candle to the one I bought in 2005, which I stupidly sold a few years ago. 

I bought mine around 2008.  It's been a while but it spends most of it's time just sitting in the safe since I rarely shoot IDPA anymore.

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How so? Finish? Fit? Durability?

20 minutes ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

How so? Finish? Fit? Durability?

The “polygonal” rifling in the barrels is different. The old barrel’s rifling looked more like the micro-groove rifling of Marlin barrels. The rifling on the newer barrels looks like it has smoothed or rounded lands in a standard barrel. 

The internals are not polished and appear to be standard G17 guts. The trigger pull is not as nice as the older 34’s. I think it’s because Glock saw that people just replaced the guts anyway so they stopped doing the added work. 
The old description for the G34 used to say how the gun was factory customized for competition. The trigger was a 4.5# pull vs the standard 5.5# pull. 
This is the right up for the G34 today:

Screenshot from Glock’s website. 
FB74A3CE-2489-45EA-B03D-15004B224366.thumb.png.93ea9644b181ab5d9cdba609dca632d9.png

The barrel to block interface isn’t matched or tuned as they used to be. 

The sights are no longer regulated to 25 yards. The original G34’s appeared to have a taller front sight. They now come with the same sight that is on the G17 and G19. 

EDIT: I called Glock and specifically asked about all these items that I listed and the guy I spoke to had a very “wordsmithed” response that didn’t really address anything specifically. These items above are my observations. I have no real proof. 

13 hours ago, Vail Vigilante said:

I went to the Gun Show today. Just to stretch my legs and get some steps in. I bought a new Glock 34 MOS Gen 5 for a decent price. Actually for less than the big box store by a good bit. They also had the RV show right there too. The wife and I keep talking about one. We need to rejigger our lives a bit to accommodate it. But what a thing it would be. I hiked the RV show with her on video conference. So I got my steps in there too.

After years of experiences at our "Gun Shows", that left me in total amazement. 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The “polygonal” rifling in the barrels is different. The old barrel’s rifling looked more like the micro-groove rifling of Marlin barrels. The rifling on the newer barrels looks like it has smoothed or rounded lands in a standard barrel. 

The internals are not polished and appear to be standard G17 guts. The trigger pull is not as nice as the older 34’s. I think it’s because Glock saw that people just replaced the guts anyway so they stopped doing the added work. 
The old description for the G34 used to say how the gun was factory customized for competition. The trigger was a 4.5# pull vs the standard 5.5# pull. 
This is the right up for the G34 today:

Screenshot from Glock’s website. 
FB74A3CE-2489-45EA-B03D-15004B224366.thumb.png.93ea9644b181ab5d9cdba609dca632d9.png

The barrel to block interface isn’t matched or tuned as they used to be. 

The sights are no longer regulated to 25 yards. The original G34’s appeared to have a taller front sight. They now come with the same sight that is on the G17 and G19. 

EDIT: I called Glock and specifically asked about all these items that I listed and the guy I spoke to had a very “wordsmithed” response that didn’t really address anything specifically. These items above are my observations. I have no real proof. 

Um, you might have the barrel description reversed maybe, up to Gen 4 they used the standard polygonal rifling. The Gen 5's have what glock calls "marksman barrels". The rifling is different in Gen5's. Gen5's also use mostly standard Glock parts but a few are different for the generation AND model. Unless someone swapped the barrel. Does the serial match?

Also, like every other gun manufacturer the last twenny years they all strive to do more with less. Or something like that. There are differences in sights for vintage and model and I've been unable to keep up with every twist the factory likes to toss out LOL. Fit& finishes are different Not as much care is taken and if the thing was made during the last two crazy years, good bet they was in a hurry. MIM parts replace what was milled steel. Less care taken for finishing touches. Mostly, all a Glock needs is shot. As I recall the G34's came with minus connectors which should give you around 4.5lbs. About. Give or take.

By the way Pat, the I could always get a straight answer out of my Glock reps. Factory....not so much LOL. Not liars, but not well informed or, they are careful not to speak out of turn. S&W? Colt? LOL. If you can get'em to answer and only with the right guy. Got straight answers out of Kimber, RCBS, CCI/Speer and Hodgdon Powder, among others.

Mine came with a 3.5 lb trigger if I recall.  I didn't like it so I swapped it out for the standard 5.5 lb trigger I was use to on the Glock 17.  i replaced the front site with a fiber optic.  Everything else is standard.   The Glock can be completely taken apart with a small punch.  The parts are interchangeable with many other Glocks of similar size and frame.  Very dependable gun but they have no soul.  Just a piece of plastic with a few stamped metal parts and a barrel.

4 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Um, you might have the barrel description reversed maybe, up to Gen 4 they used the standard polygonal rifling. The Gen 5's have what glock calls "marksman barrels". The rifling is different in Gen5's. Gen5's also use mostly standard Glock parts but a few are different for the generation AND model. Unless someone swapped the barrel. Does the serial match?

Also, like every other gun manufacturer the last twenny years they all strive to do more with less. Or something like that. There are differences in sights for vintage and model and I've been unable to keep up with every twist the factory likes to toss out LOL. Fit& finishes are different Not as much care is taken and if the thing was made during the last two crazy years, good bet they was in a hurry. MIM parts replace what was milled steel. Less care taken for finishing touches. Mostly, all a Glock needs is shot. As I recall the G34's came with minus connectors which should give you around 4.5lbs. About. Give or take.

No, not confused about the rifling. I wish I had a photo of my original G34 barrel rifling to show. The current non-Marksman barrels have 6 lands where the Marksman has 7. This was told to me by a Glock rep when I called their technical dept. Of course as soon as I said “So they are lands and not truly a polygonal barrel?” he got all fidgety and stated “I misspoke. The polygonal barrel has the appearance of 6 lands.”

Anyway, it doesn’t matter. Things are as they are. I have accurized my 2 G34s and am fairly happy with them. 

The Gen 3 Glock 34s of the 2000’s were definitely a cut above what they are selling now. It’s a shame really, because they still charge more just for the longer barrel. They sure don’t have the trigger or the accuracy they once had. 

Archived