SASS Wire Forum

SKB bs Browning

Long Branch Louie

Looking to upgrade to a higher end double for cowboy shooting. What is the difference in an SKB 100 & 200? How does a Browning BSS compare? All are hard to find and expensive. 

One difference is weight.  An SKB is lighter than a BSS.  My wife prefers her light, handy SKB.  I use my BSS for cowboy clays and prefer it for that use.

A slightly lower priced option is the  Miroku, also sold as Charles Daly.  It comes out of the same factory as the BSS, but has double triggers. Like the Browning, it is built like a tank.

Generally a model 100 SKB will have a splinter fore end and the 200 will have a beavertail (wider) version.

Don't forget the SKB model 280 which most of the ones I have seen came with an English (straight) stock rather than a pistol grip.

That said I have seen 100's with a beaver tail and 200's with splinter versions.

No idea if they came from the factory or were changed by the owner.

While there is a weight difference (SKB's tend to be lighter) it is not a lot. Don't remember who studied them but I seem to recall only about 4-8 ounces depending on configuration.

The BSS is a solid well built gun but so is the SKB.

Can't go wrong with either.

Personally I love my Johnny Meadows SKB's! :D

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Have a BSS cowboy ready, selectable with chock’s. If interested PM me. Used for cowboy, cowboy trap, skeet, and sporting clays. 5 chock’s total. There is nothing like mechanical trigger for consistency. If first barrel doesn’t go off put the trigger again.

Big iron Buster

9361L

I'm no expert but I've owned and handled numerous SKBs and this is what I understand about 100s vs. 200s. 

SKB 100s have extractors, the 200s have ejectors. The inertial reset on these guns can be converted to mechanical reset by a gunsmith. This may be better for light loads but I think any commercial ammo will reset them consistently without the conversion. I think nearly everyone has the conversion done anyway.

The 200's ejectors must be converted to just extract to be CAS legal.  200's ejectors, when converted to only extract, don't extract as far as the 100's extractor. So 100s are often preferred as they extract the shells a bit farther.  Some gunsmiths can increase the extraction of a 200 to match the 100, so the issue may be moot. 

I have three 100s--One was imported by Mitsui, the other two by Ithaca.  One has a beavertail forearm, (the Mitsui) the other two are splinter forearms.  The beavertail forearm is interchangeable with one of the other 100's splinter, but not the second one.  

All three of my SKBs are Fast Eddie guns.  They've been flawless.  

2 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Johnny Meadows told me several years ago that BSS parts were very hard to find. 

No problem but try and find SKB parts. BSS parts are out there such as firing pins and cockers are out there by cowboy shooters.

SKB parts are not hard to find, the new skb owners stock parts for the older guns.

16 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Johnny Meadows told me several years ago that BSS parts were very hard to find. 

Have a few friends with slicked up SKB's sitting in safe because can not find trigger parts, etc.    Lucky my BSS has not broke anything.  Have to remember even the latest SKB or BSS is 40+ old.       GW          Not to forget cracked stocks

15 hours ago, Ripsaw said:

I'm no expert but I've owned and handled numerous SKBs and this is what I understand about 100s vs. 200s. 

SKB 100s have extractors, the 200s have ejectors. The inertial reset on these guns can be converted to mechanical reset by a gunsmith. This may be better for light loads but I think any commercial ammo will reset them consistently without the conversion. I think nearly everyone has the conversion done anyway.

The 200's ejectors must be converted to just extract to be CAS legal.  200's ejectors, when converted to only extract, don't extract as far as the 100's extractor. So 100s are often preferred as they extract the shells a bit farther.  Some gunsmiths can increase the extraction of a 200 to match the 100, so the issue may be moot. 

I have three 100s--One was imported by Mitsui, the other two by Ithaca.  One has a beavertail forearm, (the Mitsui) the other two are splinter forearms.  The beavertail forearm is interchangeable with one of the other 100's splinter, but not the second one.  

All three of my SKBs are Fast Eddie guns.  They've been flawless.  

Most of the SKB 200's I've have seen and the one I have do not have ejectors, just extractors. They work fine for CAS.  I have an SKB 100, done by Persimmon Dan, inertia tiggers, my favorite match gun, a SKB 200 done by Johnny Meadows, converted to mechanical triggers, great gun, also and a Browning BSS done up by Old #4, you can't ever have too many guns!:D Just a matter of personal choice, as others have stated the Browning is a little heavier than the SKBs.

TB

I’m not too concerned about finding parts. As a lifelong toolmaker if I have a broke part to go by I can make whatever I need. 

21 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Have a few friends with slicked up SKB's sitting in safe because can not find trigger parts, etc.    Lucky my BSS has not broke anything.  Have to remember even the latest SKB or BSS is 40+ old.       GW          Not to forget cracked stocks

They don't have any in stock right now but the new owners of skb  are doing another run of stocks for the old skb's.  They also have a large stock of original parts.  Tell your pards to call them, they are very helpful.  

On 11/5/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mack Hacker, #60477 said:

A slightly lower priced option is the  Miroku, also sold as Charles Daly.  It comes out of the same factory as the BSS, but has double triggers. Like the Browning, it is built like a tank.

I have an older Charles Day with double triggers, but all of the newer ones that I have seen only have one trigger.

4 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I have an older Charles Day with double triggers, but all of the newer ones that I have seen only have one trigger.

I’m particularly interested in a single trigger. I’ll check out the Charles Daly. 

The CZ SharpTail coach gun has a single trigger, is light weight with subtle engraving on the color case hardened reciever, nicely figured Trukish walnut butt stock and fore end, it's a beautiful SxS. I love the one I have.

Archived