SASS Wire Forum

1873 Miroku

Hawk Eyes Hudson

Hey Cowboys and Sod Busters,

I purchased a Miroku 1873 44-40 about 6 years ago because I could.  I liked the looks.  Now that I am an onboard CAS member I want to start shooting it.  Seems like everyone is mad at Winchester cause I can find no parts and anybody that use to build or sell short stroke kits for the Miroku gives you a dirty look over the phone.  I didn't know you could do that.  Anyhows, If you know of the old short stroke kit brand that was used for this Miroku 73 that worked in this particular firearm I would likes to know.  I hope it is still available and not a brand specific to the Miroku 73 that is absolutely out of production.  Well if in it is I guess I will shoot it without any mods.  Some have said it don't need no mods but why were the mods produced in the first.  Now I got a wife, but if you have something important to say I am all ears and eyes.  I can read and cipher.  I don't hear so good.

Like baseball great Yogi Berra said, "If you come to a fork in the road, Take It!"

Cowboy Way!!!

I have the exact rifle you do and although it's not super duper tuned I don't feel like this one needs any more work. This rifle is my go to for black powder and it could not be more fun.

Pioneer Gun Works is the company that once made short stroke kits for the Miroku 1873.  

The Miroku has a shorter stroke than a “stock” Uberti.  I am told the Miroku is comparable to a “Third Generation” short stroke kit.  My Uberti ‘’73 is a “Codymatic” which is the nickname for Cody Conagher’s cut-and-weld action work.  The stroke on my Miroku ‘73 is pretty close to it.

One option is to have Cowboy Carty or Cody Conagher do a cut-and-weld to shorten the stroke.  I don’t feel the need with mine.

The Miroku uses a single spring for the lever safety and as a trigger return spring.  Uberti uses two separate springs.  You can get an aftermarket replacement from Slixprings.  That’s about the only aftermarket part available for the Miroku.  I recommend it.

I don’t think any of the aftermarket springs for the Uberti will fit.  I had a local smith do a general smoothing of parts and easing of springs.  The rifle was usable out of the box but this little bit of work made it better.

My Miroku is a .44-40.  It’s fine with smokeless (it’s my Wild Bunch rifle) but it really shines as a black powder cartridge rifle.

As I recall, one of the members had a Davidsons Miroku, which he wanted to short stroke.  He had sent the rifle to Carty, but for some reason the parts in that rifle needed replacement.  He was looking for parts here on the wire, and was not having any luck.  I don't know if he ever found any. 

Archived