SASS Wire Forum

thanks guys!

Highwall

Well my competition days are over due to age and failing eyesight but I still hang around here to learn about the new or remanence about the old

and  even sometimes  give some input.

I love this Western Vest Culture we have and I hope and pray we can endure through the changing times. We might be a small pocket in the  politics of today but we are strong and won't back down!

May the Peacemaker live forever!

c

My problem is I had no sons to pass on my western culture influence and have but one grandson to inherit my collection of western firearms.  Although his dad is a hero Marine vet from the Iraq war and he has no respect or use for anything other than high tech, multi-capacity, assault type weapons. His world is .223 Rem and 9mm Luger and my world is  .45 Colt and 45/70 Gov't.  I'm contemplating selling them and my coveted IHMSA handguns now rather than my son-in-law 

most likely selling them after I'm long gone. I could put the money towards my grandson's education but then so could his dad if he sold them much later.

I bought a Crossman pellet rifle with all the accessories to get my 5 yr old grandson started but was told by his dad that it was his job and not mine.

I reckon he was right!:unsure:

I suppose it's up to each generation to figure out what they will value and cherish as they get older.  My father was into old clocks.  He had antique clocks all over the house that he would go around and wind daily.  I have several of his clocks but I don't keep them wound.   I got my son into shooting CAS.  He shot with me for a few years as a teenager and then he got busy with life.  I gave him his Vaqueros last year.  Maybe he will get back into Cowboy shooting sometime in the future.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the things I hold dear have special memories.  It's hard to pass these feelings and memories on to a different generation.  They will have to find their own.

I never had kids and nobody in my extended family has an interest in guns at all, much less modern guns.   Some of the younger great-nephews and nieces could as they get older, and I really would like some of my favorite pieces to remain in the family if possible.   But since anything can happen at any time, I have a file on my computer that not only lists details of every gun I own, it includes the fair price each should be sold for in the current market ( I update it from time to time ).  That way at least my estate will have less trouble selling it.

To some folks, Grandpa's fishing pole is priceless.

To some, its the 69 Mustang or 70 Cuda that sits in the garage and never gets driven on rainy days. 

HIGHWALL,  like you..... I have no son, nor do I have a grandson.   Only 1 daughter.

She and her husband enjoy shooting, but have little interest in Cowboy type guns.

She'll inherit them all...... including my semi auto's from .22 up to .45 caliber stuff.

As to what she will do with them, I will leave that up to her.    No need to tie a brick around her neck

with a bunch of 'Dads Wishes'.

Life is kinda funny sometimes:  If I had a son, I would have spent my money leaning towards HIS interest and entertainment.

With a daughter, she took up cheerleading and teaching/working with young kids.......AND, singing in church.

The main reason I have a few guns is because I didn't have children who spent MY fun money, which allowed ME to

get involved with shooting and or course, Cowboy shooting.    Strange how it works out that way for some of us.

Good Luck and may you have many healthy days ahead.

..........Widder

Well, I got to add to this by saying to all of you God bless you for always being there for your families.

Proud to say I am blessed with Son's & Daughters and Grandchildren. Some are still shooting with me, some of them who did shoot cowboy & cowgirl are involved else where were they are needed. Of course, Grandsons and Granddaughters plus the great little ones are still growing.

So, to all God bless you & yours

Dad had 5 guns. One was a Remington Fieldmaster 121 pump 22. He hardly ever used it.  He taught me how to shoot tin cans with it.  I hunted a bit with it.  Dad passed away some 10 years ago and I got his guns. The following Christmas I gave it to our youngest son.  Former Marine, I could detect a tear in his eye when he slid it out of the case. He got his Fox 20 double and Remington 742 30-06 carbine.  I shot the first couple SASS matches with his Stevens 5100 12 gauge double.

On Veteran's Day I always think back and remember.

My dad was a WWII Marine in the South pacific. He tossed his 30 carbine soon after hitting the beach at Okinawa for an abandoned  M1 Garand. He hung onto that until the war was over and said that 30.06  saved his life time after time. Surprisingly when he came home after the war he had no more interest in the powerful autos but became a huge fan of the lever actions. He cherished his Winchester 94 in 30/30 and his Marlin 1895 in .444.

Sadly once he retired times got tough and he sold them before I could make an offer or even inherit them.

When I think back I think those lever guns is what got me started with SASS.

highwall , im sorry to hear your not going to be active anymore , ive recently started thinking about what happens when i get to that point , ive divested two military collections already because no one in the family had interest , ive still got my CAS and my 22s , this is the bigger of the two and im thinking ill divest that first - probably keep the few i really care about to shoot , but the CAS need to go to those that shoot it or are wanting to so ill be thinking on that as i wind down my life in SASS - maybe find a couple worthy young folks to work with 

Archived