SASS Wire Forum

Hardpan should like this

Alpo

On 11/7/2022 at 5:25 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Har!  :lol:

Yeah... that does remind me of some stories!  ^_^

Although not related, one that comes to mind was the troop from another council what was kicked out of summer camp.  Literally... with a suggestion that they not return.

It seems that they had decided to exercise their knowledge of trapping, and made snares to capture a number of chipmunks - or "ChawanaBears," as they'd come to be known at Camp Chawanakee.

So, trapping the li'l beasties was indeed quite clever, some might argue.

But when the assigned Camp Commissioner made her inspection rounds and discovered a bunch of li'l ChawanaBear plews drying on li'l hoops, well...  :rolleyes: 

Animated Chipmunks GIFs | Tenor

2 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

But when the assigned Camp Commissioner made her inspection rounds and discovered a bunch of li'l ChawanaBear plews drying on li'l hoops, well...  :rolleyes: 

I thought leatherwork was a merit badge skill.

33 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I thought leatherwork was a merit badge skill.

Had I been the commissioner, I likely would have handled it a bit differently.

Then there was the time I wandered back to my troop's campsite.  There I found a small mob of young Scouts circling something, and heard their young voices saying things like "Oh!  I want to catch him" or "He's SO cute" or "Lemme closer - I wanna pet 'im!"

Thinking they had a ChawanaBear* surrounded, I moseyed on over and peeked over 'em -

"GUYS!  Get AWAY from that thing RIGHT NOW!

"Men... that is a WEASEL!  You do NOT touch him!"

Reckon I got there just in time.  Heck... I didn't even know there were any about.

*ChawanaBears, or chipmunks, can to a lot of damage to equipment.  No matter how often we caution the scouts to leave NO food in their tents, someone always decides we don't know what we're talking about and hides snacks.

I've seen a BUNCH of cheap AND expensive backpacks and duffel bags with corners gnawed through 'em.  The little boogers are QUICK!  :lol:

Vintage Boy Scouts Patch BSA Camp Chawanakee Sequoia Co Boy_Scout_Chipmunk_Ranger_Patrol_Patch_-_B5411__89399.1606248460.png?c=2                                 

6 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"Men... that is a WEASEL!  You do NOT touch him!"

:o

Gee...that could have let you give a participatory First Aid lesson!  

I take it you used it as a teaching moment in small mammal identification.

Just now, Subdeacon Joe said:

:o

Gee...that could have let you give a participatory First Aid lesson!  

I take it you used it as a teaching moment in small mammal identification.

Indeed I did!  ^_^

Archived