SASS Wire Forum

Well, no primers at End of Trail!

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

My thanks to everyone who bought primers at Landrun and Bordertown!

I thought it might continue at EOT.

While vending at Bordertown a lady came up and said “I’d like you to be a vendor at EOT “. Wow, was I flattered! They wanted ME to come sell primers at EOT!

Not so fast! Then she gives me a vendor application that says I’d have to pay $440 to be a vendor! Surely this is a misunderstanding. I contacted them and explained that I don’t make money at this-I resell them at cost. So could they waive the fee?

Got my answer pretty quick: No, they couldn’t “accommodate” me. Or anyone who needs primers at a reasonable price, I guess.

So, I won’t be at EOT selling primers. Sorry about that, everyone who would have wanted some! I tried.

Hopefully Landrun next year!

Whoever is in charge of vendors at EOT. Sly Puppy?

However the decision was made by the executive board.

Now I would never call anyone a cheap bustard on the wire, but it seems to me money is the driving factor, rather than doing something to benefit shooters. Am I mistaken?

5 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Now I would never call anyone a cheap bustard on the wire, but it seems to me money is the driving factor, rather than doing something to benefit shooters. Am I mistaken?

The vendors probably do pretty well and it’s worth the money they pay. If I were you I’d just sell those primers at local shoots and forget about EOT. 

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The vendors probably do pretty well and it’s worth the money they pay. If I were you I’d just sell those primers at local shoots and forget about EOT. 

Oh, I did! It’s actually a relief not to have to worry about acquiring a big inventory in less than 4 months! But I kinda feel like I’m letting people down. Silly me. 
I sometimes wonder if those vendors really do that well. 
I made no money at Landrun and Bordertown, but then I wasn’t trying to! I still get a nice paycheck every week.:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

We have between 50 and 60 vendors at End of Trail each year. Everyone pays the same vendor fee regardless of how much they sell or make. This year we had a vendor selling primers along with other reloading supplies. Sly Puppy called me and I confirmed that to let one vendor sell at the event without paying the same fee would be unfair to the rest. The fee that vendors pay helps cover things like 24 hour security, refuse disposal, toilet facilities, and a daily fee that we are required to pay to Ben Avery for each vendor.

Money is not the driving factor. Providing the best possible Cowboy shooting, shopping, and entertainment experience for our shooters is.

Rattlesnake Slim, President

Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders

7 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

What? You want me to give up my sources??:blink:

I would expect someone who says they aren’t making a profit and only doing it to help shooters get primers to “give up their sources”. But to answer your question, no….I don’t expect you to. 

15 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

I would expect someone who says they aren’t making a profit and only doing it to help shooters get primers to “give up their sources”. But to answer your question, no….I don’t expect you to. 

:lol: It’s really no secret:Gunbroker. One way or another. You just need patience. 

23 minutes ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

We have between 50 and 60 vendors at End of Trail each year. Everyone pays the same vendor fee regardless of how much they sell or make. This year we had a vendor selling primers along with other reloading supplies. Sly Puppy called me and I confirmed that to let one vendor sell at the event without paying the same fee would be unfair to the rest. The fee that vendors pay helps cover things like 24 hour security, refuse disposal, toilet facilities, and a daily fee that we are required to pay to Ben Avery for each vendor.

Money is not the driving factor. Providing the best possible Cowboy shooting, shopping, and entertainment experience for our shooters is.

Rattlesnake Slim, President

Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders

What about the fact that she made it sound like I was WANTED as a vendor?? That I thought I was INVITED??

Only to find out I was INVITED to pay you $440?

I’m a vendor/sponsor at EOT. I have paid the $440 to vend and the $525 for a 20 x 20 tent. I’ve also paid to shoot and am the Junior Wild Bunch Shooter Sponsor ($650). 

I have a 10 x 20 tent but it can’t withstand the super high winds. It is a HUGE investment for me to be EOT. I do it for my customers. I do it for potential SASS shooters, for myself because I love this game yet at the end of the day, I have to make money.  If it weren’t for the generosity of Phoenix friends with whom we stay for 11-12 days, we couldn’t do it. 

Having said all that, I would be quite upset if the EOT officials allowed non-paying vendors regardless of what they sold. 

@Tell Sackett SASS 18436If you wanted to shoot the match, you could come and have a table of primers at the swap meet. 

@Smokestack SASS#87384 I’ve found (seen available) primers at these retailers within the last 6 months online: Natchez Shooting Supply, Target Sports USA, Kittery Trading Post, Brownells, Midsouth Shooters Supply - Midway and Graf’s, too according to my customers/friends.  My wholesale suppliers have none available at present. Though I don’t need any (personally) at the moment, if I know folks need primers, I tell them where to go when I hear they’re available. That is the cowboy way as I see it. 

Hugs, 

Scarlett

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I’m a vendor/sponsor at EOT. I have paid the $440 to vend and the $525 for a 20 x 20 tent. I’ve also paid to shoot and am the Junior Wild Bunch Shooter Sponsor ($650). 

I have a 10 x 20 tent but it can’t withstand the super high winds. It is a HUGE investment for me to be EOT. I do it for my customers. I do it for potential SASS shooters, for myself because I love this game yet at the end of the day, I have to make money.  If it weren’t for the generosity of Phoenix friends with whom we stay for 11-12 days, we couldn’t do it. 

Having said all that, I would be quite upset if the EOT officials allowed non-paying vendors regardless of what they sold. 

@Tell Sackett SASS 18436If you wanted to shoot the match, you could come and have a table of primers at the swap meet. 

@Smokestack SASS#87384 I’ve found (seen available) primers at these retailers within the last 6 months online: Natchez Shooting Supply, Target Sports USA, Kittery Trading Post, Brownells, Midsouth Shooters Supply - Midway and Graf’s, too according to my customers/friends.  My wholesale suppliers have none available at present. Though I don’t need any (personally) at the moment, if I know folks need primers, I tell them where to go when I hear they’re available. That is the cowboy way as I see it. 

Hugs, 

Scarlett

I had NO plans to go and shoot or vend until someone said to me: I’d like you to be a vendor at EOT”. 
That doesn’t sound like an invitation to you??

It did to us!!

She DIDN’T say: “but only if you pay us $440”!

4 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

I had NO plans to go and shoot or vend until someone said to me: I’d like you to be a vendor at EOT”. 
That doesn’t sound like an invitation to you??

It did to us!!

She DIDN’T say: “but only if you pay us $440”!

Welcome to Economics 101!

I invite everyone on this thread to attend the SC State match April 6-9!  It will cost you $125 to register and shoot the match. . 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Oh, @Tell Sackett SASS 18436 I was at Land Run, too. I was a vendor and sponsor. It cost me $100 for my vendor space in addition to shooter fees, banquet etc and the $1,000 in merchandise to sponsor. Did you have to pay to vend? 

Hugs,

Scarlett

Welcome to Economics 101!

I invite everyone on this thread to attend the SC State match April 6-9!  It will cost you $125 to register and shoot the match. . 

Hugs!

Scarlett

I notice you didn’t answer my question!

If she was soliciting a vendor she should have been up front about it-like you just did!

NOT make it sound like an invitation!

Oh, @Tell Sackett SASS 18436 I was at Land Run, too. I was a vendor and sponsor. It cost me $100 for my vendor space in addition to shooter fees, banquet etc and the $1,000 in merchandise to sponsor. Did you have to pay to vend? 

Hugs,

Scarlett

Yes I did! 
But then they didn’t seek me out and say: “please come and be a vendor “!

6 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

I notice you didn’t answer my question!

If she was soliciting a vendor she should have been up front about it-like you just did!

NOT make it sound like an invitation!

Sly Puppy is good people, and I’m betting by now she is sorry she asked…

2 minutes ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Sly Puppy is good people, and I’m sure by now she is sorry she asked…

So am I! 
And thanks for making me look like a bad guy because an invitation WASN’T an invitation!

I wouldn't risk buying them to resell in the current market. The prices are dropping and every SW and CAL Ranch store I have been to in the last two weeks has Federal primers in stock, with limits. I suspect by EOT there will be a lot more places with them in stock at $59.99 per 1K (or less). In the last two weeks I have been seeing powder plummet from $65 per pound to $38-$45. The market is correcting. Here in Prescott, SW, High Country Guns, and Bill's Trading Post are all loaded with powder. I can't see primers being that far behind.

8 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I wouldn't risk buying them to resell in the current market. The prices are dropping and every SW and CAL Ranch store I have been to in the last two weeks has Federal primers in stock, with limits. I suspect by EOT there will be a lot more places with them in stock at $59.99 per 1K (or less). In the last two weeks I have been seeing powder plummet from $65 per pound to $38-$45. The market is correcting. Here in Prescott, SW, High Country Guns, and Bill's Trading Post are all loaded with powder. I can't see primers being that far behind.

That was a gamble I was taking. But I thought it was worth taking.

I have my doubts, but I hope you’re right.

Anyway, I think I’m done. It was a lot of effort and expense with no reward except a few “thank you’s”. Not that I expected them.

What I DIDN’T expect was insults!

I don't know if you have been to EOT at Ben Avery but the main highway is often lined with folks selling ammo. I suspect they don't pay a fee to do so. Camping in the area is free.

And check with the DOT as you are transporting a hazardous material.

§ 385.403 Who must hold a safety permit?

A motor carrier may not transport in interstate or intrastate commerce any of the following hazardous materials, in the quantity indicated for each, unless the motor carrier holds a safety permit:

(a) A highway route-controlled quantity of a Class 7 (radioactive) material, as defined in § 173.403 of this title;

(b) More than 25 kg (55 pounds) net weight of a Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 (explosive) material or articles or an amount of a Division 1.5 (explosive) material requiring placarding under part 172 of this title;

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/2021-11/HazMat General Information_FINAL_508c.pdf

58 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Tell, you really should speak to the BATFE about what you are doing. 

I really do think you need to be licensed by them to do such.

You are mistaken

16 minutes ago, Cholla said:

And check with the DOT as you are transporting a hazardous material.

§ 385.403 Who must hold a safety permit?

A motor carrier may not transport in interstate or intrastate commerce any of the following hazardous materials, in the quantity indicated for each, unless the motor carrier holds a safety permit:

(a) A highway route-controlled quantity of a Class 7 (radioactive) material, as defined in § 173.403 of this title;

(b) More than 25 kg (55 pounds) net weight of a Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 (explosive) material or articles or an amount of a Division 1.5 (explosive) material requiring placarding under part 172 of this title;

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/2021-11/HazMat General Information_FINAL_508c.pdf

I’m not a motor carrier 

10 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

You are mistaken

I’m not a motor carrier 

Whether you're carrying your own product or someone else's, you're a "motor carrier" to the DOT.  I can't carry more than 25 lbs of  powder in my pick up if I don't have a hazmat endorsement on my DL.  Unless I were to get stopped for some other reason, I might get away with it.  But... is drivin' 50 in a 35 zone still not breaking the law?

I'm seeing the same things Cholla is seeing.  I was looking for some BPS locally to avoid the HAZMAT shipping fees.  1-lb jars sell on GunBoker for anywhere from $60 to $100 -- I guess that's what the speculators paid for them.  I went to my local Bass Pro Shops this past Saturday and even though the website says "not in stock at store, select free ship to store option" --- there they were on the shelves, no limit, $39 and change per jar.  I bought three. 

Howdy,

I have no dog in this hunt, BUT as a range owner that have produced matches for over 16 years, a shooter, and for 6 years a vendor I can say that I

don't see an issue on requiring a vendor fee OR how she asked you about it. Shoots absolutely have to make money or they can't hold shoots. 

Profit is not a dirty word, she or anyone has no idea (and it's none of their business) on if a vendor is making a profit on a said item, and that has no bearing on a vendor space anyway (make money if you want, and don't if you don't).

Inviting someone to vend at an event for a fee is no sin in any way. Think of how we buy things in our daily lives, sales people try to sell you every day with

"an invite to their wonderful products, for a price"  otherwise there would be no marketing, just a white background ad that says "Beer $8.00" and we would all

accept that and buy it or not. 

Also remember that all shoots (state and above) are run by volunteers and so the fees are not going into peoples paychecks, they are for the infrastructure and overhead costs of the events. 

I truly appreciate any vendor doing something for the shooters at a zero net gain, but remember that so are the clubs and their members by even holding the event. This is just my 2 cents worth and is worth every dime paid. 

On 11/4/2022 at 8:38 AM, Griff said:

Whether you're carrying your own product or someone else's, you're a "motor carrier" to the DOT.  I can't carry more than 25 lbs of  powder in my pick up if I don't have a hazmat endorsement on my DL.  Unless I were to get stopped for some other reason, I might get away with it.  But... is drivin' 50 in a 35 zone still not breaking the law?

According to the posted he'd have to carry over 55 pounds of primers to be in violation of the law. I would doubt he would have had 55 pounds of primers on hand. We all break laws every day in some shape or fashion so whats the point? Our Government has seen fit to make it so.

Archived