SASS Wire Forum

1897 Wire Ejector Springs?

Bronc

1 minute ago, Lonesoms Al SASS37893 said:

Pretty sure Sgt. Eli at Victory Gun Works in Fairfield,IL has them.

Bingo!! I bought some and they work great and he’s a great pard to deal with.

I am not familiar with the reason one need an extra spring in a 97, but I would like to know.

2 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I am not familiar with the reason one need an extra spring in a 97, but I would like to know.

It’s not an extra, it replaces the Winchester factory type ejector spring. Looks to be much longer lasting.

2 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

The flat wire that is attached to the left hand side of the receiver is what helps hulls eject. Occasionally they break and hulls don't eject well. Some people replace this flat spring with one made of wire. They are usually more durable and also cause the hulls to eject better. 

29 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The flat wire that is attached to the left hand side of the receiver is what helps hulls eject. Occasionally they break and hulls don't eject well. Some people replace this flat spring with one made of wire. They are usually more durable and also cause the hulls to eject better. 

Thank you for the information.  I have an original 97 and I have had trouble with it not always eject the empty.   I think I will get one of the wire springs and try it in mine.  

7 hours ago, Bronc said:

Does anyone know where I can find the Wire '97 Ejector Springs?

Yo-Ho Bronc:   Sgt Eli aka   Mark Cribelar  1389South 1st, Street   Fairfield, Illinois 62837.

By the way, they work great.

Jackrabbir Joe #414

9 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Thank you for the information.  I have an original 97 and I have had trouble with it not always eject the empty.   I think I will get one of the wire springs and try it in mine.  

Ck your left side extractor for a broken 'leg'.

34 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Ck your left side extractor for a broken 'leg'.

It will always pull the shell out of the chamber but more often than I would like the shell fall back into the receiver and I have to turn the gun and shake it out so I think the extractor is ok.

24 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

It will always pull the shell out of the chamber but more often than I would like the shell fall back into the receiver and I have to turn the gun and shake it out so I think the extractor is ok.

Pull the bolt and look.

Common failure.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Pull the bolt and look.

Common failure.

Yep.  There are two extractors and both have to work to get the hull to eject properly. The RH extractor is pretty robust but the LH not so much. 

If you remove the LH extractor from the bolt, Most of the time the RH will pull the hull out of the chamber but the shell will not eject from the action. It takes both extractors to hold the shell in the proper position to be ejected.

With both extractors working properly and if you work the action properly, it will still eject hulls without that little ejector spring. The difference is that without the ejector spring, the hulls will just make it out of the port. With the spring they fly out of the port.

If you take a close look at the ejector spring and the T block behind and understand how it works you'll see that its  simplicity is deceptive. 

It makes sense now. There are bunch of parts to the puzzle. They work together to make it work. 

LH Extractor and the pin that retains it.

RH Extractor, plunger and its spring.

The ejector, "T" block and the screw that retains the ejector.

For some reason I was looking at them as separate assemblies. I have noticed that the RH extractor does wear with age. On one of my resurrection 97s the plunger had some visible wear in spots as did the extractor itself. It also stands to reason that the spring may also be a bit weaker than it was 100 years ago. Those pieces are probably where one should look first if there are issues, other than a broken ejector..

Like stated above the LH Extractor has a fairly easy job of keeping the rim pushed against the RH extractor. 

And also as stated, the ejector pushes the rim out of the LH extractor. That flat ejector has some spring to it, I suppose after 1,000's of operations it may have a good reason to break. 

I'm not convinced that a round one, made of wire is any better or any worse. I can see it being a good field fix. I've only had one wire ejector in my guns, it came with a thick piece of wire that barely fit in the hole, screwed to the frame. Pretty homemade and ugly, I replaced it with a new reproduction part.  

"If you take a close look at the ejector spring and the T block behind and understand how it works you'll see that its  simplicity is deceptive." - I'm still working on the "understand how it works" part. 

I've worked on several 97s and resurrected a few as well. I will admit that there is a lot to learn on them, and I'm no J M Browning, It's taken me a while and I still have more to learn and understand. That old first you have to understand how it is supposed to work and then you can figure out why its not working now. 

And my "simplicity is deceptive" as well, LOL.

BB

Archived