SASS Wire Forum

loading .38's when........BAM

Cutthroat Cody

Oh, yeah.  One of the few weak parts of the design of the Dillon 650 machine, IMHO.  Had 2 explosions in the one I used to run.   The primers rotate a long way in the primer feed rotor, and dirt or other debris under the rotor can work to flip a primer up on edge where that one detonates, and often transmits the ripple around the rotor to the stack in the feed tube, and that all goes up too.  

Keep machine VERY clean, blow out primer feed areas with compressed air, wear safety glasses, and feel blessed you did not get hurt and that you have the Dillon parts order number to get any parts replaced quickly and for free.

good luck, GJ

Haven't blown one in my SDB, thank goodness, that would certainly require a change of undies. :lol:

Bet it's amazingly loud!

Main reason I switched from 650 to 750. The primer system in the 750 is much mo betta. I never set one off in the 650, but heard too many stories!

I did pop one in a Lee loadmaster. My fault, something was jammed, gave handle  a pop. And got a POP!  Lee primes on downstroke. The Dillon system of on the upstroke is safer. 

In 35 years of loading on a 550, no.  And I've crushed 'em into near unrecognizable shapes and still have beat them with a hammer to quickly neutralize 'em. 

Forty four years ago, I started out with an RCBS Jr. press and used it for about 20 years, then a coworker gave me a RCBS Rock Chucker press and that is the one I've been using ever since.

I have had primers flip around a bit on a very rare occasion.  Sideways or upside down. 

Never had one "pop off" on me.  That could be because I don't use more force than necessary to seat the primers.  Or perhaps I'm just lucky.

Single stage presses may be slower but definitely are safer! Been loading on one for over 40 years and never felt the need to get one of them spendy blue ones!:lol: Of course I consider reloading a hobby unto itself and never felt a need to go fast.

Pinched one in my RCBS Rockchucker once on a 5.56 case that had skipped the pocket swager step somehow. I felt it was tight but tried to force it anyway. BANG!  Lesson learned. I never use the primer tube assembly for same reason. 

Had about 40 primers go off. It was one large boom. Had to get a new parts including the shell plate.

Nawlins

On 11/2/2022 at 5:41 PM, Cutthroat Cody said:

Ever have a primer (federal) go off in your Dillon (650)? 

No I never have a primer go off during the ten years (or so) loading on a 650.

As the Dillon tech told me after I called about replacement parts for my 650 after a primer explosion, “If you feel tension or resistance on the up stroke, STOP”. The primer feed rotates on the up stroke and there should be no resistance. But if there is, DON’T FORCE IT, or else boom.

Archived