SASS Wire Forum

Major Schofield called

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

15 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

HK,

How so?

Wyatt

The S&W Schofield 2000, while having the cylinder the original length, unlike the Uberti's which were lengthened to acomodate the  .45LC cartridge, shortened the frame so that a longer cylinder could not be installed. The original Schofield has a gap about .100" between the front of the cylinder and the rear of the frame/hinge.  The barrel on the original extends back to meet the front of the cylinder, which minimizes the effect of black powder fouling. Neither the S&W 2000 nor the Uberti has this gap and so tends to foul badly when BP is used.  I would guess that the S&W 2000 was designed by their legal department, afraid someone might use .45LC +P loads or something in their Schofields.  Uberti apparently did not have that concern, so they kept the length of the original frame and went with the longer cylinder.

The "other" turn of the Century, 2000. Confused me a minute there also.

On 11/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

I couldn't resist, he said it was all original, new, and in the original box.

He did say something about ignoring that Uberti stuff:o

20221101_165845.jpg

Wyatt:

Can you tell me where you found the cartridge box label?  I'd like to add them to my boxes.

Gracias.

LL

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Wyatt:

Can you tell me where you found the cartridge box label?  I'd like to add them to my boxes.

Gracias.

LL

In addition to the info Springfield Slim provided as one source, search Cheyenne Cartridge Box for additional sources. I think I got mine from Midway, but I see they only have 38-40 and 44 Russian at the moment. 

Archived