SASS Wire Forum

Do you remember your first Halloween?

Alpo

I'm the pirate. 4 years old. Be 5 in another 3 weeks. My 6-year-old brother is the skeleton.

I don't know if he had ever been trick or treating, but it was certainly the first for me. Many things stand out in my memory.

The house next door was a two-story duplex. Little old lady lived on the bottom. Little old lady :D. She was probably about 40. Had a teenage daughter who was old enough to babysit us and was thinking about marriage. She asked Mama what the most important thing she should know before getting married. Mama told her to learn how to drive. Good point. Daddy at sea for 6 months to a year, and we'd really be up a creek if Mama hadn't known how to drive.

Upstairs was another Navy wife with two kids. We went to the little old lady, but totally forgot to climb the stairs to the other house. :wacko:

We went out by ourselves. No adults. Can you imagine that? Two little kids wandering the street after dark. Our candy sacks were paper grocery bags. It had rained that day. The sidewalk was damp. Can y'all see where this is going? My brother apparently had enough sense to hold his bag up off the ground, but mine was heavy, and I dragged it. When we got home I had a sack with no bottom and no candy. Daddy got a couple of pillow cases and we went out again.

Still forgot to climb the stairs :blush::(.

But at least I got candy that time, although elder brudder got two sacks.

1st Halloween, 1960.jpg

We learned the errors of paper as well. Some of the big kids would come up behind us little kids, and spray our bags with squirt guns! Some house with a damn apple would be the final blow! Pillow case was the answer and held oottles more.:D

I was 4. And I had a bunny costume just like Ralphie’s. Mom made it. But I caught a cold so I had to stay home.

I don’t. I don’t remember very many things about or very many things that happened in my life before age of around 11-12. Prior to age 10 it’s pretty much blank aside from a handful of memories. Sadly, and thankfully, I don’t have too many childhood memories. 

The only Halloween night I remember vividly was age 16 egg wars with other kids in town and in the cemetery. I have an image in my mind being at a party bobbing for apples in the fall at an age of around 4-5, but I can’t remember anything past that image.  For all I know it is a recollection of a dream

I don’t necessarily remember the first one but I do remember always being a cowboy or Indian except one year I was a ghost, yep just an old sheet with holes cut out for the eyes!

Not my first but most memorable. This was back in the 60's  and before the porch light on or off was recognized to signal

don't stop here! We ran out of candy around 9 pm and turned off all the lights in the house. That didn't stop the treat-or-treaters from coming

to the door. My dad was in the kitchen watching them when someone on the porch shouted out,

" we know you're in there, we can see your cigarette glowing in the window". LOL

If I remember moms story correctly it was 1959 in Peetz, Colorado I was dressed as a skeleton and my older sister was dressed as Cinderella playing an instrument of some kind. We were walking around the neighborhood trick or treating and I stopped abruptly and my instrument playing sister who was blowing on the instrument ran into me instrument first and the thing pierced the back of her throat and she was taken to a hospital for surgery. She always had a pretty husky voice after that. Kinda ruined the trick or treat mood after that.

1965. I was in 5th grade. And Halloween was Sunday.

Well my goodness. You couldn't do that devil/witch/ghost stuff on a Sunday. No no no. So Tampa said the official trick or treat was Saturday. About half the people refused to give us any candy saying that "Halloween's tomorrow!"

Not a problem. We went out again Sunday. And a whole lot of people told us we were going to go to hell for doing stuff like that on Sunday.

That's one of those years where you just can't win.

I remember being small, maybe 3 or 4 and going to my grandmother’s apartment and my parents put this itchy costume on me with a mask. The lips of the mask cut my lip. I remember them taking me to all the neighbors in the area to trick or treat. I wasn’t too keen on the concept until I realized I got to keep the candy I was given. I cannot remember what my costume was. I just remember it itched and the mask was sharp. 

I don't recall what age I was, but I do remember going as Dracula and having trouble making it up and down the steep concrete stairs all the neighbors seemed to have at the time. In future episodes I was a cowboy, a soldier or back to being Dracula. I didn't dress up as a pirate for the first time until I was an adult and went to a friend's Halloween party. The only thing I remember about that one was meeting a gorgeous Korean girl and spending most of the night hamming it up to her. I made friends with her but unfortunately it didn't last.

Junior High School one year. I was all dressed in black, and had blackened my face with burnt cork, and I was carrying one of those dart guns it looks like a 1911. And when the people would come to the door I would stick the gun in their face and tell them to give me candy.

One family, the father worked at a convenience store, and he had been killed a couple of months earlier during a robbery. And I did not stick a gun in their face. After all these years I am still amazed that I realized beforehand that would be very very tacky.

Unfortunately these days that'd be a VERY bad idea no matter which house you went to. As I was passing out candy the other night I had my SIG P365 in my pocket... just in case. There's been stories of thugs using Halloween as an opportunity to barge in and rob people.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I had my SIG P365 in my pocket... just in case

I had the same idea, just not the same gun.  You never know these days what is going to happen, better to be safe than sorry.

I dont remember this, I was 3 years old.

image.png.2ece8ec7698ce0d78c525d4bf6793985.png

Archived