SASS Wire Forum

C45S - 160 grain .45 loads?

Cholla

I am working to reduce the recoil from my revolvers. I have a 160-grain .452 mold. I can order some C45S cases but I am not finding load data. I have Titegroup and Red Dot. The threads I found are from when we couldn't list load data. I saw Widder had some experience but again, no load data.

I use 4 grains Red Dot for those bullets in that case, very mild recoil.

I was using 3.6 gr of Trail Boss.  Now that TB is gone, I've been trying new stuff.  I came across quite a bit of Titegroup.  When I tried it, I had a problem with cases splitting.  I contacted Starline.  Their opinion was the cases were splitting because of the Titegroup.  I am now trying some Vihtouvouri.  

Case Splitting is dependent on your chamber dimensions and your load level.  

With C45S cases, I ran about a Ton (sic) of TightGroup with 4.0Gr and 160Gr RNFP.  If you want to reduce recoil even further, I would suggest the 130Gr Barnstormer  bullet with 4.2Gr TightGroup.  Barnstormer is available from Shootin Fox.

My current load is 4.2 grains of TiteGroup under 130 gr Barnstormers in both C45S and cut down 45 Colt brass. 

I rarely have split cases and they chrono at an average of 722 fps out of a Ruger NMV Bisley with 5 1/2" barrel.

On 11/1/2022 at 12:11 PM, Sarge said:

I was using 3.6 gr of Trail Boss.  Now that TB is gone, I've been trying new stuff.  I came across quite a bit of Titegroup.  When I tried it, I had a problem with cases splitting.  I contacted Starline.  Their opinion was the cases were splitting because of the Titegroup.  I am now trying some Vihtouvouri.  

Try 3.7- 4 gr of the Clean Shot you have! It should be perfect! I have a customer who has just finished testing this very load! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy Pard

Concur with the posts on 160 grain 45 bullets.

Only thing I’d add from my experience is to use a heavy crimp.

IMHO,  160’s are a good way to develop lower-recoiling loads for 45’s.

Keep on the sunny side and

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

Archived