SASS Wire Forum

"...do not be alarmed by the fire coming out of the engines–unless it goes out.”

Subdeacon Joe

https://aviationhumor.net/super-constellation-connie-spitting-flames/

The Lockheed Super Constellation, such a beautiful engineering and artistic masterpiece.

The flames are from 3 P&W turbines mounted on each engine that fed off the engine exhaust and provided 450 additional horsepower to each engine at take-off and as needed via an automated switch-on system.

“Ladies and gentlemen, do not be alarmed by the fire coming out of the engines–unless it goes out.”

Awesome. I wish it were commercially viable to do limited run passenger service on one of those, with service as in the days of old. Not just a twenty minute trip around an airport, but an actual flight to and from somewhere so you could enjoy the flight.

The next to the last trip I ever took in a prop driven airliner was on a Super G Connie.

The last was on a Convair 740 (?)

The Connie was in 1960, a charter flight from Salt Lake City to Washington DC for an ROTC convention.  It was elegant in a way that jetliners have never managed to match.

The Convair was  three years later to the same convention and was passable, but didn't come close to the Lockheed.

The pilot in this video set the plane down as "soft as a baby duck's bottom" as my Dad used to say.

There were a couple of Constellations at the air park north of me. One was Eisenhower's Air Force One. You could see it very well from the road. Last I heard it was moved to where it could be restored. Cool airplane!

My first airplane flight was in 1962 on a large four engine prop plane. It could have been a Connie but I am not sure. 

I still remember the landing as it was so smooth you did not even feel the plane touch the ground!

The "Connie" is/was the most gorgeous airplane EVER built.  The "Super G" the epitome of EXCELLENCE.

PS:  Four Connies were converted to TurboProp engines and were at the time, the fastest propeller driven transports in the world.  Able to climb at over 4,000 FPM at combat load.

I have to agree with the Coffinmaker, the Connie was the most gorgeous plane ever built, inside and out. Unfortunately, I never got to fly in one.

I still think the DC-3 was the best plane ever built, and there are still a lot of them flying today.

Archived