SASS Wire Forum

Primers!

Smokestack SASS#87384

1 hour ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Looks like primers are finally starting to become more available. I’m seeing more in stock, although prices are still high. Now if people would just order for themselves we should all be able to start getting back to “normal” soon with any luck. 

Mike, give me a PM, might be able to help you out.

3 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

Looks like primers are finally starting to become more available. I’m seeing more in stock, although prices are still high. Now if people would just order for themselves we should all be able to start getting back to “normal” soon with any luck. 

You bet and I'll drink to that.

I rarely bought primers at gun stores. When I first started reloading I would buy them locally. Wasn't shooting too much and I could get a thousand whenever I wanted. Finally wanted to start buying by the case and the stores around me didn't offer that. Eventually started ordering through Powder Valley and other places. I would still by a thousand or two locally when they had them.

This was all before the situation in the last few years. I haven't seen any on the shelves locally but haven't been searching them out either. Just don't see them when I'm there. 

Picket up 9000 federal primers at Shooters In Jacksonville Fl last month. $159.99 for 1000.

12 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

If Sportsman Warehouse can sell primers for this price...well, doesn't take a rocket scientist...

Last Sunday below. BTW - limit 2 per customer/wife was with me.

20221101_121929.jpg

If our SW had any pistol primers, those would be great prices....

However none to be had and no timetable when they will show up.

They do have and have had for a while the Clarinox (sp) 209 at $6.99 per hundred in the pink boxes.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

5 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

If our SW had any pistol primers, those would be great prices....

However none to be had and no timetable when they will show up.

They do have and have had for a while the Clarinox (sp) 209 at $6.99 per hundred in the pink boxes.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

The SW here is hit and miss. If I'm going to be in the area, I'll call to see if it's worth stopping in since they haven't set up a website for that particular store so it's impossible to check stock without calling. So far, all they've had is Cheddite 209's, Fed Sm Pist Mag (reg) and Fed Grand Match Sm Pist. No rifle of any kind or large pistol. I'll be in that area today, so I'll stop by to see what they have.

CS

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy Pard

I’ll take that as good news and hope it’s a sign of increasing supply.

Our local stores have stocking issues and so many regional supply houses I check have the monotonous/ubiquitous “Not Available” in the description.

Those with longer memories will remember shortages occurring during previous administrations that were not friendly to the 2nd Amendment. Those shortages were eventually remedied. This supply/availability drought has been and continues to be very worrisome.

I have had some luck contacting shooting buddies that have dropped out of the game for age or declining health to determine if they’re willing to sell their remaining primers (and other reloading supplies). A number of those are reluctant or downright unwilling to part with them out of caution. Can’t blame them.

Keep on the sunny side and 

Adios

Fort RenoKid

If federal would quit wasting time making small pistol magnum primers for all of those small magnum pistols out there they might be able to make small pistols. Maybe large rifles too.

Went to semi-local Bass Pro yesterday.

There was a small assortment of CCI primers available - $149/1000.

I passed.  Walked out of the store with nothing.

Please don't turn this into an anti-BPS thread, they're not the only ones.

11 hours ago, Cinch said:

If federal would quit wasting time making small pistol magnum primers for all of those small magnum pistols out there they might be able to make small pistols. Maybe large rifles too.

For the downloaded ammo used in CAS and plinking type shooting, you'll never notice the difference between the small magnum primers and regular small pistol primers. I would NOT use magnum primers for loads at or near published max loads for any caliber round except magnum calibers.

15 hours ago, Cinch said:

SP mag and SR are the same primer. 

Call Federal and they will tell you this.

Archived