SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 Magazine/Spring question

DoctorWho

Howdy all,

I had recently picked up a Rossi 92 in 357, completed the Steve’s Gunz upgrades and it really is an impressive change. 

My issue is that it will not hold 10 rounds in the magazine with my usual federal lead nose rounds, and only 8 357’s. 

I had spare springs so I went deep into experimenting. With the usual recommendation of 6-8inches of spring passed the magazine end, I could get 9 rounds. Cut down to 4 inches I could get 9.5 rounds. Cut down to 2, I get 10 but it won’t cycle due to lack of tension (I knew this would happen). 

With a caliper I realized I could flatten the bullet noses on a wheel to probably get 10 in, but every site posts it as a ready off the shelf 10+1?!

Anyone know the secret dance to get that little extra room?

B0F5930A-4A97-464A-8D9C-2DC3028CD78C.jpeg

That was my thought. I’m not a reloader so it just means a little elbow grease in prepping my shelf rounds. 

I was more curious why it’s marketed as 10+1 if regular shelf buyers won’t ever see it. 

Looks kind of like a 16" barrel.  I have never seen one of those advertised as holding ten.

https://rossiusa.com/firearms/lever-action-rifles/73-r92-357-mag-16-8-rounds-polished-black-brazilian-hardwood

Mine is a 16" .38 caliber and takes 10  no problems. I was using my 73;s data. My boo, boo.  

565922000_Rossi92Carbine.JPG

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Mine is a 16" .38 caliber and takes 10 at 1.50-1.48 no problems.

565922000_Rossi92Carbine.JPG

That's interesting.  Ten at 1.5" only leaves one inch for the compressed spring.

6 hours ago, DoctorWho said:

By golly you’re absolutely right. I’ve been looking at the 20” barrel models. States plainly 8. Case closed. 

You could try shooting .38 spcl loaded long - 1.503, as I recall. That puts the crimp below the normal crimp groove, but a good roll crimp works well. Bullet shape is critical in the Rossi .357, so a truncated cone FP works best with a long ogive for harmonious feeding. RNFPs don’t feed as well at that length. 

Don’t hesitate to contact Steve at Steve’s Gunz who will walk you through it. 

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That's interesting.  Ten at 1.5" only leaves one inch for the compressed spring.

There are only 9 rounds in the magazine tube. The 10th round is on the carrier. 

9 X 1.5 = 13.5"

Now for the rub. Tube is 16" long

Less 1/2" for the magazine plug.

Less another 1/2" for the portion of the follower that the spring doesn't fit into. 

That leaves a whopping 1.5" for the spring. ( 16 - 13.5 - .5 - .5 = 1.5" )

I know of at least one 16" Rossi that the shooter tried to get 10 rounds in. He and a local gunsmith never succeeded with rounds long enough to reliably feed in the rifle.

My belief is that the only way to get 10 rounds in a 16" rifle would be to have a custom mag tube spring that was tapered so that instead of the coils stacking one on top of the other they nestled inside each other. Similar to the modification to get 6 rounds into a 97.

10 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

There are only 9 rounds in the magazine tube. The 10th round is on the carrier. 

9 X 1.5 = 13.5"

Now for the rub. Tube is 16" long

Less 1/2" for the magazine plug.

Less another 1/2" for the portion of the follower that the spring doesn't fit into. 

That leaves a whopping 1.5" for the spring. ( 16 - 13.5 - .5 - .5 = 1.5" )

I know of at least one 16" Rossi that the shooter tried to get 10 rounds in. He and a local gunsmith never succeeded with rounds long enough to reliably feed in the rifle.

My belief is that the only way to get 10 rounds in a 16" rifle would be to have a custom mag tube spring that was tapered so that instead of the coils stacking one on top of the other they nestled inside each other. Similar to the modification to get 6 rounds into a 97.

Well, I knew that the last round loaded on a toggle link gun was on the carrier and not in the tube, but I forgot the '92 is the same.  But yeah, a proper tapered recoil spring would probably be the ticket.  My 16" '73 holds ten 45 Colt at 1.58" OAL.  It has the tapered spring and hollow magazine cap.

18 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Shorten your C.O.A.L.

11 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You really shouldn't use round nose bullets in a lever action rifle.

Thank you Tyrel. I’m still new to the long gun portion of CAS so I’m learning as I go. Is it a feeding issue? Mine seems to cycle them just fine but I’m pretty green on these details. 

1 minute ago, DoctorWho said:

Thank you Tyrel. I’m still new to the long gun portion of CAS so I’m learning as I go. Is it a feeding issue? Mine seems to cycle them just fine but I’m pretty green on these details. 

I worry about setting off a primer with a magazine  full of round nose bullets. Look for round nose flat point or truncated cone bullets.

Yo Pilgrims I made a boo I was using my 73's load 1.50. -1.48.

The 10 rds. for the 16" 1.41-1.43 in that area feeds well.

Archived