SASS Wire Forum

Stoned for Halloween

Hit with killer kidney pain last night.  Headed to ER, where they now recognize me on sight.  CAT scan confirmed what I already knew by experience - 8 mm stone. Sweet embrace of morphine.  Off to the ER for a stent.  Held overnight.

Follow-up in 2 weeks for removal of stone and stent.  Oh, joy.

LL

You, Sir, have my most heartfelt sympathies! 

Been there but with nothing approaching that size.  Yikes!!   Just imaging it makes my hair hurt.  :(

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Hit with killer kidney pain last night.  Headed to ER, where they now recognize me on sight.  CAT scan confirmed what I already knew by experience - 8 mm stone. Sweet embrace of morphine.  Off to the ER for a stent.  Held overnight.

LL

Ben they’re done that. Last time they blasted them I had so many. 
Allopurinol has been my savior. I was told different people have different causes so your mileage may vary. 
lts a wicked pain 

I walked in on one of my guys in our office once and he was screaming like a baby. I honestly thought he was going to die. Passed a little one he was told.

2 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I walked in on one of my guys in our office once and he was screaming like a baby. I honestly thought he was going to die. Passed a little one he was told.

Happened to me as well, wanted to just die. And it was a small one as well. Amazing how much they hurt!

Ellie's in the hospital now with an intestinal abscess. Morphine is helping.:( No surgery now, but imminent. Gonna keep her for a few days they're saying. 

I have been where you are now.

My hand on your shoulder, my friend, those of us who've been beset with the blasted beasties are bending very understanding knees on your behalf!

I have broken bones, torn muscles, been knocked down, fallen down  and thrown upside down by motorcycles and cars.

Have seen bone, blood and enough of my insides to last me a lifetime.

So ya know how they ask about your pain level and want you to give it a number?

I thought I had a pretty good feel for what upper level numbers felt like...

Until I experienced Kidney Stones and realized that my pain scale had to be completely reevaluated.

Get feeling better soon and remember pain killers are your friend.

Prayers are lifted for you during this time of pain and grief.   I also have experienced kidney stones twice, and had bladder surgery to clear out stones, after having passed 83 stones over a two-year period.  If I know what would eliminate their formation, I can assure you I would never have another one....

7 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Remove by it by running a grabber up the XXXXXX...Get a hold on and pull it out it the same way...Must be fun...If you are into pain...

Texas Lizard

Then again they could ultra sound and break it up....Could be easier to pass...

Ouch Ouch Ouch!!!!  Mine was only 2.4 mm....I  know it's not a contest you want to win. 

Hang in there. 

CS

Dr. says there is no hope of passing this one.  Bring on the tiny demolition team.  This one will be a surgical removal.

Thanks for the well-wishes.   I've been on alopurinol for decades; it's good but not a cure.  Doc tells me it is not a dietary issue. 

LL  

10 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Remove by it by running a grabber up the XXXXXX...Get a hold on and pull it out it the same way...Must be fun...If you are into pain...

Texas Lizard

Then again they could ultra sound and break it up....Could be easier to pass...

Texas Lizard has the procedure correct.

They dunked me in a horse tank of warm water and used underwater speakers to blast Grand Funk Railroad at my tenderloins, with the intent of turning boulders into gravel; a stent was inserted, as he described, to hold the inner pipeline open far enough to ensure the sand and gravel chunks wash out without damming up.

A week or so later, they laid me on a gynecological table for the stent removal.

They said I could wear my socks and shoes, but nothing more, for the procedure.

They would provide the gown that would be my only other garment.

There I am, flat on my back, my well polished Wellingtons in the stirrups, covered with sackcloth or whatever they make them gowns out of; it had a strategically placed vent, which meant that I was at once as modestly robed as a cardinal, but more naked than I've ever been in my entire young life.

The stent was fetched out.

I verge on the improper to point out that local anesthetic was employed, though in the interest of politeness, I am loath to describe the method ... suffice it to say, this effort was successful, and I was grateful.

I half expected the doctor to put on a shoulder length rubber glove, the kind veterinarians use to examine a calf in utero.

I would probably have fainted, just passed out colder'n a foundered flounder, if he had.

I will omit graphic description of the prep, the procedure and the extraction; suffice it to say ... removal was accomplished, though not without incident. 

The doc held the stent up like a trophy bass for my inspection, declaring himself satisfied with his success.

I looked at him and at a little wrinkled blue strip of plastic about an inch and a half long and I proceeded to turn the air blue with verbal sulfur.

I called him a cheat, a thief, a four flusher, a fraud:  I told him to get back in there and get that G*** D***** stent out of me, it won't be hard to find, it's as long as a shot tower is tall, it's as broad as a clipper ship with full canvas spread and both anchors a-draggin'!

First time I ever saw a physician literally collapse with laughter!

My wife is a CAT scan technologist: she laughed raucously when I described expecting the doc to pull on a shoulder length glove, then she almost teared up as I continued reading her the thread, especially Gracos Kid's agonies, and J-Bar's stripes from the Stone Wars.

She voiced her professional observation that more men than women are beset with the blasted boulders; she sees them professionally on almost a daily basis, and notes that men have a harder time divesting themselves of the painful porcupines than women.

I know when I had mine (nowhere near as many as the Gracos Kid, God be praised!), an ER nurse gave me a sympathetic look and offered that she'd had both children and kidney stones, and the stones were the worst.

I know she meant well but it didn't help much.

I did ask her to send down to Central Supply and have them send up the biggest rubber mallet they had, I wanted her to take a good two hand grip and belt me between the eyes hard as she could.

Bless her heart, she turned the color of a rotten strawberry, she was trying hard to laugh and finally gasped, "I can't do that!"

I r'ared up on my elbows and declared in my best Jerry Clower voice, "IT'S LIKE RASSLIN' A WILDCAT UP IN A TREE! SHOOT UP HERE AMONGST US, ONE OF US GOT TO HAVE SOME RELIEF!"

(Anatomy lesson: The pipeline from kidney to bladder has the inner diameter of a human hair. Passing even a microscopic renal calculus is like passing a B model Mack through one leg of a pantyhose. It don't work so good!)

My father had kidney stones, turned out it was something in the tap water.  He put one of those filters on the kitchen faucet and hasn't had a kidney stone since.

4 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

an ER nurse gave me a sympathetic look and offered that she'd had both children and kidney stones, and the stones were the worst.

I know she meant well but it didn't help much.

The Kidney Stone vs Giving Birth comparison is a common theme and often held up to demonstrate how incredibly tough women are.

But I have a couple thoughts...

One - If child birth is ANYTHING comparable to Kidney Stones - the Good Lord made an excellent choice in making the woman the bearer of children. 

Because, if child birth does indeed feel like a stone....

Speaking on behalf of the male persuasion; we would have let the species die out a millenia ago.

Two - I know the experience is not comparable as a year or two after passing a stone - NO GUY has taken his partners hand into his own, looked lovingly into their eyes and softly said, "Ya know, I think I'm ready to have another one"  :wub:

Mr. Keller, you have an incredible way with words! Been there done that! My Doc also told me it was the closest thing to child birth. They don't make a mallet heavy enough to make me want to do it again. Once was way too much.

Praying here for you, BTDT too. There are a few people I know I would wish them on, but nobody I even remotely like.

Indeed.

They had me 90 days in the Foley jail before prostatectomy.  Flying to/from San Diego thru TSA with a garden hose in my Johnson and a gas can strapped to my ankle. You have my full sympathy for the stents… mine were in a different location and bypassed instead of removed.

Archived