Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

US Air Force to deploy nuclear-capable B-52 bombers to Australia as tensions with China grow


Buckshot Bear
 Share

Recommended Posts

US Air Force to deploy nuclear-capable B-52 bombers to Australia as tensions with China grow

 

The United States is preparing to deploy up to six nuclear-capable B-52 bombers to northern Australia, a provocative move experts say is aimed squarely at China.

An investigation by Four Corners can reveal Washington is planning to build dedicated facilities for the giant aircraft at Tindal air base, south of Darwin.

The US has drawn up detailed plans for what it calls a "squadron operations facility" for use during the Northern Territory dry season, an adjoining maintenance centre and a parking area for "six B-52s".

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-31/china-tensions-taiwan-us-military-deploy-bombers-to-australia/101585380

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

US Air Force to deploy nuclear-capable B-52 bombers to Australia as tensions with China grow

 

The United States is preparing to deploy up to six nuclear-capable B-52 bombers to northern Australia, a provocative move experts say is aimed squarely at China.

An investigation by Four Corners can reveal Washington is planning to build dedicated facilities for the giant aircraft at Tindal air base, south of Darwin.

The US has drawn up detailed plans for what it calls a "squadron operations facility" for use during the Northern Territory dry season, an adjoining maintenance centre and a parking area for "six B-52s".

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-31/china-tensions-taiwan-us-military-deploy-bombers-to-australia/101585380

 

So what is the Aussie reaction to this plan?

 

LL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why do we broadcast what we do in defense of our nations?

This has always bothered me. 
 

If I have a bunch of dirtbags living down the road from me I don’t go to them with a map and say:

“Hey Dirtbags, because of you I have installed exterior cameras here, here and here. I have also placed loaded firearms in handgun safes here and here and I have my main safe here in case you d-bags do break in and steal the handgun safes that I have here and here. Any questions?”

 

The flippin’ Chinese sure as hell don’t tell us what they’re doing via the media. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never made any sense to me either. Although with satellites, everybody knows what's going on to some extent anyway.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Never made any sense to me either. Although with satellites, everybody knows what's going on to some extent anyway.

Good point. But why help them aim their satellites? :blink::lol:
 

Otto sux!

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Why do we broadcast what we do in defense of our nations?

This has always bothered me. 
 

If I have a bunch of dirtbags living down the road from me I don’t go to them with a map and say:

“Hey Dirtbags, because of you I have installed exterior cameras here, here and here. I have also placed loaded firearms in handgun safes here and here and I have my main safe here in case you d-bags do break in and steal the handgun safes that I have here and here. Any questions?”

 

The flippin’ Chinese sure as hell don’t tell us what they’re doing via the media. 

Lyndon Johnson went on radio and RV to tell the world we were going to bomb North Vietnam, and when and where.  As if the North Vietnamese didn't listen to our broadcasts.  They were waiting for us.

 

I thought then, and still do, that he should have been tried for treason, removed from office, and executed for that.

 

We never learn from our mistakes.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Good point. But why help them aim their satellites? :blink::lol:
 

Otto sux!

I knew what you meant! Getting better a deciphering Otto!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

 

No argument here; but there's something in memory about civilian opposition to US nuclear presence in Australia.....

 

FWB

 

1/2 of 0.0001% of the population, there's always a fringe lunatic group ready to protest instead of having a job.

 

We're buying nuclear powered subs from the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now China......that's a different story, they're pissed!

 

China slams planned US Air Force deployment of six B-52 bombers to northern Australia

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-31/china-slames-planned-deployments-of-b52-bombers-to-australia/101598442

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Does the US still have Ballistic Missile Submarines or were they all scrapped? 

Yes, the Ohio class SSBN is still in service and a replacement design is in the works.  Four of the oldest Ohio class were converted to carry up to 154 Tomahawk cruise missiles with conventional warheads.  The nuclear armed Tomahawks were withdrawn from service.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Trailrider #896 said:

The B-1 Lancer (aka The Bone...The B-One) is non-nuclear...conventional only.  The reason for announcing such activities is to "show the Flag".  We don't want to

hide such things.  There are a number of activities that are not announced, including the actual location of the SSBN's.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

 

No argument here; but there's something in memory about civilian opposition to US nuclear presence in Australia.....

 

FWB

 

New Zealand's official stance is that warships carrying nuclear weapons or powered by a nuclear reactors are not welcome in their territorial waters. AFAIK Australia does not have a similar stance.

 

Officially Australia in a non-nuclear capable country. Unofficially who knows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Johnson would tell the Swiss exactly where we would bomb the next day and ask them to relay that to North Viet Nam. It is in the Pentagon Papers. Also a close friend who retired as a full Navy captain and had commanded carrier air wings in viet nam said that was true. it is so disgusting to know what our country is capable of to its own young soldiers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2022 at 8:22 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

 

But, But, But, . . . The US doesn't have ANY non-Nuclear Capable Bombers B) 


 Umm Yes we Do the B1 courtesy Of Bush  
While the B-1 was originally designed for nuclear capabilities, the aircraft were switched exclusively to a conventional combat role in the mid-1990s under the Conventional Mission Upgrade Program. This was brought on by the collapse of the Soviet Union  and the end of the Cold War – and President George H.W. Bush ordered the $3 billion refit, which included the removal of nuclear arming and fuzing hardware – while provision under the New START treaty additional modifications were further made to prevent nuclear weapon pylons from being attached to the aircraft. The conversion process was completed by 2011, and Russian officials have been allowed to inspect the aircraft yearly to verify compliance.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Chinese have a hidden underground submarine pen on Hainan Island that actually opens up underwater like something in a James Bond movie. We only discovered it by chance, when satellites showed a sub headed straight for the shoreline, then in the next pic it had disappeared. The Chinese of course were never dumb enough to admit that it's there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2022 at 4:33 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Why do we broadcast what we do in defense of our nations?

This has always bothered me. 
 

If I have a bunch of dirtbags living down the road from me I don’t go to them with a map and say:

“Hey Dirtbags, because of you I have installed exterior cameras here, here and here. I have also placed loaded firearms in handgun safes here and here and I have my main safe here in case you d-bags do break in and steal the handgun safes that I have here and here. Any questions?”

 

The flippin’ Chinese sure as hell don’t tell us what they’re doing via the media. 

As I recall, military logistical secrets first dissolved away when Bush (senior) allowed imbedded reporters in military units in the Iraq war.  From then on, the media has had access to much more than they ever had previously, and there don't seem to be secrets of any kind.  

Truth is, with all of today's surveillance tech, it might be impossible to move equipment secretly anyway.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

B-52s have been flying in Aust for years. Since the 80's is quoted in some sources.

 

We have areas they can fly as low as they want for as long as they want, and they have conducted training runs to take advantage of that. 

 

This is about some base improvements so they can stay longer and conduct more training.

 

There are much closer and bigger B52 bases than what this proposes. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

As I recall, military logistical secrets first dissolved away when Bush (senior) allowed imbedded reporters in military units in the Iraq war.  From then on, the media has had access to much more than they ever had previously, and there don't seem to be secrets of any kind.  

Truth is, with all of today's surveillance tech, it might be impossible to move equipment secretly anyway.  

There were reporters tagging along in WW2.

 

I see no sense in making it easy for the Commie sonsofbastages, unless it’s disinformation, but then, knowing our government of today, I doubt they can do anything right so it really doesn’t matter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There were reporters tagging along in WW2.

 

I see no sense in making it easy for the Commie sonsofbastages, unless it’s disinformation, but then, knowing our government of today, I doubt they can do anything right so it really doesn’t matter. 

 

In WWII everything send back for publication had to be sent via military channels. Reporters had their stories vetted BEFORE they were sent.

Reporters didn't complain about 1st amendment infringement because they saw the need for OPSEC first hand.

 

Now what passes for a journalist is only interested in ratings and couldn't care less about OPSEC or if their reporting would compromise maneuvers. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One oddity of the first gulf war was that the reporters in Iraq at the time were providing near real time battle damage assessment and first hand intel on what was happening in Baghdad.

 

Their rush to make headlines, they greatly assisted coalition efforts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In World War Two we had Edward R Murrow. In Vietnam we had Dan Rather. Today we have Fareed Zakaria. Note the steady degradation of the quality and ethics of our journalists. They are less interested in truthful reporting than stepping on their fellow reporters in their zeal to reach the top of their game.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

In World War Two we had Edward R Murrow. In Vietnam we had Dan Rather. Today we have Fareed Zakaria. Note the steady degradation of the quality and ethics of our journalists. They are less interested in truthful reporting than stepping on their fellow reporters in their zeal to reach the top of their game.

Very true! 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

In WWII everything send back for publication had to be sent via military channels. Reporters had their stories vetted BEFORE they were sent.

Reporters didn't complain about 1st amendment infringement because they saw the need for OPSEC first hand.

 

Now what passes for a journalist is only interested in ratings and couldn't care less about OPSEC or if their reporting would compromise maneuvers. 

That’s true. I had forgotten about that. Thanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The BUFFS need to be careful how low they fly over Oz.  A 'roo getting sucked into an engine could do some real damage! :o

 

I don't think it'd do the 'roo any good either. Would that make it a Buffaroo?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.