SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Glasses

Major Crimes

So, I have bit the bullet (see what I did there?) and admitted I need help, with my vision, there is no helping my personality.

I have access to some ballistic glasses that have the ability to fit corrective lenses inside.

So, I am at the Optom and he says my long vision is fine and it's just the close that is a bit fuzzy. We then had a to and fro about the issue of having both lenses fully corrective and going for split lenses. The problem with split lenses was that I may need to tilt my head up to get the best view of the sights and I wasn't keen on that.

He then said how about left lense clear and right lense corrective. I close my left eye anyway so that bit won't hurt and when I tried the mix in the shop, I could open both eyes and see out to target distance fine and then close the left and get a good sight picture with a slightly blurred target (our targets are close enough to still be visible if a little blurry).

It will be a few days to a week before I get them back, but I will let you know how it goes. If it works, I am going to get a pair with a less Military look:ph34r:

I shoot with contacts -- right-eye dominant is corrected to front sight distance, left eye is corrected to distance vision, I tend to keep both open when I shoot. 

It only took a little practice so now what I'm seeing as far as sights, targets, etc., isn't much of a conscious issue when I shoot, and if I'm being honest about it, when I miss I really can't blame the corrections. :huh:

My first attempt was wearing a contact lens on the right eye,  Then I could still use my  normal protective glasses.  It was great until I realized contacts and me didn't getalong..   Now using the same method as you only second pair has slight correction on left.   Good luck     GW

I got a pair of full lens safety glasses from Amazon $16?  They are powerful enough for me to see my sights, but I can't walk around with them I get sea sick, so I change glasses after I shoot the stage.  With my prescription glasses I can see the sight perfect, but they are only impact resistant...so I wear the safety glasses with good side shields.    Good Luck

My Wylie X's have a single script in the right for clear front sight and my normal progressive in the left for distance and reading. They are weird when I first put them on, but don't notice it after a few minutes.

I wear trifocals every day.

But just can't wear a split lenses to shoot.

Shooting glasses are just that. Set up just for shooting SASS. Targets can get a little blurry.

Sights are clear.

Love my Hunters HD Gold glasses.    

I wear blended trifocals. I bought a pair of wraparound safety glasses that fit closely over my glasses. I don't have any trouble shooting with trifocals. 

I found stick on bifocal lenses work pretty good for me. They are made to stick on the lower half of the lense, just reverse and put in the top of the lense for shooting. I only need one for my right eye and they are around $20 a pair.

5 minutes ago, DoctorWho said:

1 hour ago, DoctorWho said:

I’m an optometrist by trade, and I do shooting prescriptions a lot for competitive folks. If you want to get deep into the weeds about options shoot me a DM and I’ll bore you to death with details. 

PM sent.

SSP Eyewear makes a line of sports eyewear that have interchangeable colored, clear, smoke & amber lenses.  the choice of lens a plain, bifocal & reverse bifocal.  The reverse bifocal are perfect for shooting.  Before I bought them I used OPTIX stick on.  The cost of the SSP sports eyewear is well worth it.  Before I had cataract surgery, I used 2.5X for left eye & 1.0X in right.  After cataract surgery I use 1.25X in the left eye.  I only need the magnification to clearly see the rear sight on a rifle & handgun.

The top focal AST kit is $80 plus $30 for each color of non-magnified lens pairs.

4 hours ago, Blacksmith Jim #68489 L TG said:

Has anyone used an amber or other color of tint in shooting glasses and what’s your thoughts ?

That's what Hunter HD Gold is.

And must say. After I tried them. Love them. 

Wife also got a pair as well and many friends. All of us say the same thing.

21 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Love my Hunters HD Gold glasses.

I love mine, too! If you’re wanting corrective lenses for SHOOTING, PLEASE contact Brian@huntershdgold.com website is https://huntershdgold.com

I met Brian at the SW Regional March 2022. I was immediately impressed.  Told him about SASS Affiliated Merchant Program and he joined THAT NIGHT! He will be at EOT 2023! 

His family OWNS a lab in Pelham Alabama (since 1977). Anyone can send their prescription there.  HHDG will send you several pair to try - to pick lens type etc.  

Those of you who know me know I pride myself on excellence in customer service… HHDG - Brian and Chris (in the lab) offer the BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE I have EVER experienced in ANY industry. 

The glasses - with prescription - progressive etc are $375. They can also put their lenses in your own frames. Their glasses and frames meet the ANSI standards for safety, etc. There is NO MIDDLE MAN! You’re dealing directly with the inventor of the HHDG and the lab. It’s worth a call/email. 

* I am a FAN and wearer of these glasses. NOT a compensated endorser* 

Big hugs! 

Scarlett

Let me tell you from experience!

I have tried them all and just this past Nationals had the pleasure of trying Hunters HD Gold glasses. Everyone that knows me will tell you I will not promote or back any of the “mouse trap” products. If it’s not a true product to help the shooters then it doesn’t get added to my list of “match” worthy products. Hunters HD Gold glasses can make your lenses how ever “YOU” need them. They are a great family company and best of all they are shooters and know what shooters need. We spend thousands of dollars on equipment and traveling to matches. The one most important thing is seeing the targets and that’s what shooters want to skimp spending money on is eyewear. Just doesn’t make sense to me !

Contact them and you can thank me later !!

Slick

My eye doc fixed me right up. Left eye regular script with bifocal just like my regular glasses. Right eye for front sight only (approx 32""), they work great. I can read the stages without having to change glasses and still see the targets just fine. Good Luck:)

Schwaby and I just got our HD Hunters Gold prescription glasses and LOVE them!!  They are so clear and lightweight.   I used to use the ESS Crossbows that have the prescription inserts and the interchangeable color lenses, the HDHG are much lightweight and clearer/sharper.  Very fast customer service too.

Roper

I love my eye doctor here in Chattanooga he made me shooting glasses and allowed me to have pistol and set a target in his office to allow me to get the best sight picture. He has also allowed a long range shooter to bring rifle in and lay in the floor like shooting prone and fixed him up. If i did not use Dr. Lett I would be using the HD hunter Gold prescription glasses.

In Evil Roy's shooting school, he says to take a sharpened pencil and hold it pointing forward with your outstretched arm.  You need to be able to focus on the point of the pencil, which would be about where your front sights would be.  This could be handy if you can't take a pistol in to the eye doc. ;)

If you mean "bifocals" when you say "split lenses" -- my eyes are the opposite of yours. I can read just fine if I can get something close to me, but I need correction for distance.
From your description it sounds like your distance vision is okay,  but that you have fuzzy view of closer objects. That being the case, if you can focus on your front site without glasses, get bifocals. The top half won't have much prescription and you'll naturally bring it into play when you cheek the rifle, and the bottom half is just for reading. I use the "lineless" bifocals. For me, I found using an aperture sight also helped -- but I liked peep sights before I needed bifocals so you're mileage may vary.

WileyX, both lenses set for distance. I wear them for shooting & for driving. 2 sets of clear & 2 sets of sunglasses, all the frames are the same. Once in awhile, an edge wears off on one of the lenses, & I just pick up the backup pair & keep rolling. Just like the guns.

At the regional shoot in Arkansas this spring I purchased a pair of prescription shooting glasses from Hunter’s HD Gold.

Brian the owner was a vendor there. Brian is a competitive shooter in several sports and does shoot some cowboy. I wear trifocals which are always a pain. Being a shooter Brain knew how to measure and mark my glasses for the manner that I shoot.

the delivery time for the finished product was great.

I have had several contacts with Chris at the company and mothering but the best personal service.

I really like the glasses and the first time I used them for the 1911 I had a hot empty deflect off a surface and bounce solidly off the lens.

Not a scratch on the lens or me.

It is a real pleasure to deal with a SASS supporter and a fellow shooter.

Hunter HD will be a vendor at EOT and I intend to purchases another pair to use for upland bird hunting and other sports.

Archived