SASS Wire Forum

1886 vs 1892 stovepipes

Tom Bullweed

I have had two Rossi 92s and two original Win 1892 (circa 1903 and 1915).  The two Rossi carbines and 1915 model would have stovepipe jambs if I ran the guns too hard.

My is about the 1886, not the 92s and is based on the similarities of the action.

Do any of you cowboy run the 1886 hard?  Experienced jambs?

When I'm using my 1886s (45-70 and 40-82) it's at long range 150-180 yards, so the cases aren't flying out. The only issue I have is after running a short-stroked '73, I often short stroke the '86 and no cartridge loads. It takes a conscious effort to lever the action fully.

I have owned and shot a number of M1886 Winchesters over the years, and cannot recall ever having a stovepipe in ones chambered for .45-90, .45-70, .40-65 WCF, and .33 WCF, run hard. As a matter of fact, John Moses Browning designed them to be run hard, and they run better that way.  I have run them pretty hard, especially the .33 WCF, which was a rebarrelled .45-70, that I took a couple of wild boar down to Tennessee about 1964.  I've run the one chambered in .45-90 with .45-70, and never experienced any jamming.  Like an idiot, I traded it for something else I can't remember! 

While the M1892 mechanism was based on the '86, there are subtle differences due to the need to handle the pistol cartridges. The two Rossi '92's I have, which I use in SASS, are the older Puma in .44 Magnum and a Model 65 in .44-40, which I think were made on the original Winchester tooling. The only problems with those that I originally had was with the overly strong ejector spring, and the .44-40 cases catching on the right side of the extractor cut in the breech end of the barrel, causing "pitcher-mouthing" of the brass. I corrected that by judicious stoning of the cut.

One thing you might want to check on the Rossi's is to be sure the screws holding the cartridge guides are tight.  If they loosen up, you can have problems with feeding the rounds. 

Stovepiping in a 92 is normally the result of too much clearance between the Cartridge wall and the Cartridge Guide.  Shimming the Cartridge Guide to just "kiss" the cartridge wall usually eliminates.  Other than the 86 having a bigger Pipe, I've no clue other than a similar cartridge guide clearance problem.

Coffinmaker is right.  Cut some shims from a piece of Bond typing paper and shim until the case will just fit between the guides.  Shim the right side guide.  (If it doesn’t work, at least it’s cheap.

I shoot a Pedersoli 1886 (45/70) in Pat Garret and I haven't had any issues going fast. Of course, it's not as fast as my 66 but I go as fast as I can and haven't had a problem. 

As Cholla said you need to make sure you make the full stroke, do that and no problems.

Steve Gunz has made a living off these 92s.  The 92s are notorious with these stove pipes.  I believe he sells a shim to correct this issue.

Archived