SASS Wire Forum

VIHTAVUORI Powder

Itchy Trigger

Yes. I use VV N320 and N330 for 9mm. Burns very clean and makes very accurate loads.  I don’t use it for any cowboy loads, doesn’t make enough smoke ;)

1 hour ago, Samuel B Carpenter said:

yepp

what do you want to know

Have a lead on 5 cans of N330 at a very reasonable price. Hopefully it pans out.

Howdy IT

weeeeeel, N-330 is a bit slow burning

I don't use that for any of my loads, cowboy or othervise, I use N-310 and N320 in pistol cartridges ( 45 colt - 45 acp - 38 spl )

if you use it expect a good amount of unburnt powder

I would recommend trying it in your caliber / cartridge combo, before you buy 5 cans

regards

Samuel B 

3 hours ago, Samuel B Carpenter said:

Howdy IT

weeeeeel, N-330 is a bit slow burning

I don't use that for any of my loads, cowboy or othervise, I use N-310 and N320 in pistol cartridges ( 45 colt - 45 acp - 38 spl )

if you use it expect a good amount of unburnt powder

I would recommend trying it in your caliber / cartridge combo, before you buy 5 cans

regards

Samuel B 

That might be right for small calibers.  The V-V Cowboy data file that was referenced and downloadable from some previous discussions did not show any data with N330 for .38 or .32, only N310 and N320 for those calibers.  For 38-40 and up, they include N330 in the data.

13 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Anyone use the VIHTAVUORI powder from Finland?

VV is probably the best-selling powder in Germany. I've been taking it for 30 years. Very good quality at an acceptable price. For all my CAS cartridges (.38spec, .45 Colt & WB .45Auto) I use the fast burning N310 exclusively.

Itchy Trigger,

What caliber are you loading? N330 will work in 38's to 45 Colts. I've used N330 in 38's before but it's a slower burning powder than N320. You'll need to step up the powder charge about 20% over N320 in 38's to increase the pressure to get a clean burn. Magnum primers also helps. Really like it in 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Here's some data for N330 in 44 and 45's. 

http://merlin555.free.fr/pn/Vihtavuori_Cowboy_Data.pdf

42 minutes ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

Itchy Trigger,

What caliber are you loading? N330 will work in 38's to 45 Colts. I've used N330 in 38's before but it's a slower burning powder than N320. You'll need to step up the powder charge about 20% over N320 in 38's to increase the pressure to get a clean burn. Magnum primers also helps. Really like it in 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Here's some data for N330 in 44 and 45's. 

http://merlin555.free.fr/pn/Vihtavuori_Cowboy_Data.pdf

You can count on Long Hunter to show up when V-V gets discussed. :)  And he knows plenty about it!

On 10/30/2022 at 2:30 PM, Itchy Trigger said:

Anyone use the VIHTAVUORI powder from Finland?

we use 310 n 320-pricy but great stuff....

I started using n320 when I couldn't find Red Dot. Uses the same lee scoop for my loads. Burns cleaner and if u look around it doesnt seem to be expensive. I load 38 and 44. No plans to switch back.

Today I took some VV Tin Star (N32C) loads to the range to try them out. I got these cans at EoT in 2011. Finally opened them and wanted to see what it would offer as my Trailboss supply is dwindling rapidly.

I loaded the recommended starting charge of 8 grains under a .452 200 grain RNFP. VV website says 875 fps and I'd believe it. I had no chrono as I was shooting indoors. Shooting my OMV Bisley 45 Colt one handed there was good muzzle flash and a bit more recoil than I'd be comfortable with in a match shooting for speed although this load would work if speed shooting ain't your bag. For plinking it would be a great round. Very accurate at 10 yards. Brass was much cleaner than my usual TB shot brass and there was no unburnt powder (unlike ALL my load attempts with Unique). This charge was thrown on a Lee Classic Turret Press disc size hole of 1.36 and weighed on a Hornady G3-1500 digital pocket scale.

My next load was 8.5 grains powder thrown through the same Lee set up but with the 1.46 disc size hole, also verified on the same powder scale. VV says about 936 fps on this and again I'd go with that. Sure, too much for CAS for most of us but doable in a revolver and certainly my Ruger OMV Bisleys. My FFg BP 250 grain loads have more recoil than either of these VV loads, for what it's worth.

Both loads certainly doable in a rifle. Both will be loads I make up for general 45 Colt gun recreational shooting.

Hope this helps.

Archived